Sammy and Darby Traded. I hate Buffalo

bigbadbuff23835

Honestly, I don't hate these moves.

Sammy > Matthews, but Sammy has also been injured often, and his production has only been minimally better than Matthews. It's only a moderate step down on offense.

It's definitely a blow to our secondary, but for a 2nd and a 3rd I feel like it is worth it.

I know everyone is eager to finally make the playoffs, but did we really have ANY shot at true contention? I don't think so. Personally, I do not mind taking a step back IF it very clearly sets us up for the future as I believe this does.

19 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Are you guys seriously thinking you contend this year?  

If you do, I see the angst.  If you don't think you are serious contenders, I don't know how you can be upset at this deal.  You weren't comfortable committing big $ to Watkins.  Your D scheme is heavy on zone, vs. man, which really plays away from Darby's strengths.   And you got a 2nd round pick, that could easily be top 5 rd 2, and a 3rd round pick, to now get 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.   Gaines isn't on paper as good as Darby, but he's cheap like Darby, and a better scheme fit.   And Matthews isn't nearly as talented as Watkins, but he's also going to be way cheaper to retain, if you decide he's worth keeping.  

If you think you are still rebuilding to contend, that's the formula for success.  By next year, you probably are letting Watkins walk given how bad of a fit he was in your O with Taylor, and at best walk away with a 2019 back-end 3rd round comp pick (#100-ish).   As opposed to a pick as high as the mid-30's in a deep draft a year earlier.   

If I thought my franchise was rebuilding (not outright tanking, but just thinking future as much as now), I'd be thrilled.  Take it from an outsider.

I think a lot of people are coming around to this line of thinking now that the emotion has faded away a bit. I really don't see how anyone can be upset at losing Sammy, he wasn't going to be paid and I just don't know how anyone can count on him to contribute given his history. Darby is a tougher pill to swallow for me but I agree that he is definitely a better fit in a man system and after regressing last season it is really hard to expect him to get back to his rookie year play, that's a big assumption in my opinion. We've stacked up some picks for next season and I would say we got marginally worse, I'll take that in a year where we have a rough schedule and in a coach's first season. 

I like Matthews but I think Watkins injury issues are overblown. He only has dealt with just foot related issues just like Julio, Dez, Edelman. Actually Julio has missed more games in his first 3 seasons than Watkins. All three WRs I mentioned once they got that second foot surgery they have been fine. Watkins got that second foot surgery and by all accounts he is fine. I think the Rams got a steal with only giving up a 2nd round pick and a cornerback that is at best 4th string. Watkins is an elite caliber WR which I'll take him for the price the Rams gave up.

As for Matthews, only 5 WRs posted at least 225 receptions 2500yds and 19 tds in their first 3 seasons: Odell Beckham Jr., DeAndre Hopkins, Randy Moss, Mike Evans, and... Jordan Matthews. He did it with 4 different QBs (Foles, Bradford, Sanchez, Wentz). My thing is the Bills is going to move from Tyrod and get a franchise caliber QB in the 2018 draft. So Darnold, Rosen, Allen is who comes to mind off the top. Matthews is a safety valve for the QB especially a young one and that's why Wentz was upset the Eagles traded Matthews away. Now for the future whomever the Bills potential young rookie QB will be, he will have two guys in Matthews and Zay who will be reliable targets who will get open. So I see what the Bills are trying to do.

6 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I like Matthews but I think Watkins injury issues are overblown. He only has dealt with just foot related issues just like Julio, Dez, Edelman. Actually Julio has missed more games in his first 3 seasons than Watkins. All three WRs I mentioned once they got that second foot surgery they have been fine. Watkins got that second foot surgery and by all accounts he is fine. I think the Rams got a steal with only giving up a 2nd round pick and a cornerback that is at best 4th string. Watkins is an elite caliber WR which I'll take him for the price the Rams gave up.

As for Matthews, only 5 WRs posted at least 225 receptions 2500yds and 19 tds in their first 3 seasons: Odell Beckham Jr., DeAndre Hopkins, Randy Moss, Mike Evans, and... Jordan Matthews. He did it with 4 different QBs (Foles, Bradford, Sanchez, Wentz). My thing is the Bills is going to move from Tyrod and get a franchise caliber QB in the 2018 draft. So Darnold, Rosen, Allen is who comes to mind off the top. Matthews is a safety valve for the QB especially a young one and that's why Wentz was upset the Eagles traded Matthews away. Now for the future whomever the Bills potential young rookie QB will be, he will have two guys in Matthews and Zay who will be reliable targets who will get open. So I see what the Bills are trying to do.

They gave that up for one year of Watkins, and if they want him longer they are gonna have to back up the truck.

Sammy has also had lingering hammy issues if I recall correctly.

I'm rooting for him, just not holding my breath.

37 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

They gave that up for one year of Watkins, and if they want him longer they are gonna have to back up the truck.

Sammy has also had lingering hammy issues if I recall correctly.

I'm rooting for him, just not holding my breath.

The Rams will lock him up. From everything I heard, the Rams was discussing the idea of trading for Watkins months ago. So while it was a shocker to all of us, the Rams and Bills were talking about it back when the Bills decided not to pick up his 5th year option and the Rams decided not to pick up GRob 5th year option. I think the Rams will do whatever it takes to keep the young playmaker on this team. I think Watkins best years are ahead am glad he is a part of the Rams.

55 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I think the Rams will do whatever it takes to keep the young playmaker on this team. I think Watkins best years are ahead am glad he is a part of the Rams.

You could be right. As someone who's watched it's hard to invest any trust in him, he just hasn't been there. I have absolutely no against Sammy and, in all honesty, I finally expect him to go on and be a huge success because that is just how being a Bills fan works. I just have run out of faith in him ever being healthy enough to count on year in and year out. 

31 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

You could be right. As someone who's watched it's hard to invest any trust in him, he just hasn't been there. I have absolutely no against Sammy and, in all honesty, I finally expect him to go on and be a huge success because that is just how being a Bills fan works. I just have run out of faith in him ever being healthy enough to count on year in and year out. 

No I totally get how you feel. I felt like that with Sam Bradford. At the same time though I'm hopeful that the second foot surgery is a what will fix that foot issue that has plagued Watkins. As I mentioned already, Julio missed more games in his first 3 seasons than Watkins dealing with foot issues and he got that second foot surgery and has been fine. Like the Falcons had no problem giving him a long term deal and was rewarded from Julio with playing in 45 of his last 48 games following the season he missed 11 games and had to get that second foot surgery during that offseason. Plus the Rams have a former Bills medical staff member so I'm sure they wouldn't have even done the deal if they didn't do their research and get the OK on Watkins health moving forward as it pertains to the foot. Now I can't predict any other injuries but as for as the foot issues goes I think he will be fine moving forward. 

Unless Sammy really changes his workout regiment, these lingering issues will likely continue. His foot, groin and hamstring issues can all be attributed to his hips. Same reason he rolled his ankle in practice a few days before being traded. He was a sprinter at Clemson was he not? From my somewhat educated guess his hips are rotating internally so there is more pressure on the groin so when he is running and cutting he lands on the inside of his foot which makes it much easier to sprain and break (which he did).

I'd be really curious to see his workout regime.

As for the trades, once the shock wore off I was able to see that Buffalo evaluated the team and made the decision that the playoffs are at least a year away if not 2 seasons. So get something for Sammy while you can and trade away Darby who isn't a scheme fit and in return get a quality WR who could be your longterm answer in the slot. 

3 minutes ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

So far at least. 

This is not meant to be directed at you but it's something I've seen a lot online. It's amazing how quickly fan opinion has given up on the whole management. Everyone should have known that a rough first year was almost a certainty.

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:
6 minutes ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

So far at least. 

This is not meant to be directed at you but it's something I've seen a lot online. It's amazing how quickly fan opinion has given up on the whole management. Everyone should have known that a rough first year was almost a certainty.

Yeah I hear ya. I guess I meant that I trust in the FO until they give me a reason not to, if that makes more sense.

I'm good with the moves they've made, and I'm excited to see what we do with all these early picks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived