What blunder in NFL history matches what JR Smith did in the NBA Finals?

TecmoSuperJoe

I'm having trouble thinking of one just due to the stage of the event. JR Smith's head wasn't in the game at a crucial moment towards the end. The closest I can think of is Thurman Thomas misplacing his helmet in the Super Bowl. That was at the start of the game though.

I don't think a dropped pass or even screwing up a snap is the same level of screw up either. Like Romo in the Seahawks/Cowboys game. That can happen. Same with a missed kick like Norwood. Leon Lett had a dumb blunder in the Super Bowl, but the Cowboys had a huge lead.

Jim Marshall running the wrong way takes the cake for regular season. Wasn't a playoff game though, and the Vikings won that game anyway. I know there have been multiple morons that dropped the ball before they scored a touchdown. 

Now that I think of it, Marlon McCree not immediately dropping to the ground after picking off Tom Brady has to be the equalizer to JR's goof. Goodness, that was stupid. 

Brandon Bostick in the NFCCG Green Bay vs Seattle.

He wasn't even supposed to go for the ball. He was supposed to be a blocker for the "hands" guys. Instead he flubs the onside kick with I believe Jordy Nelson right behind him.

32 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

all the Saints defender had to do was tackle him and keep him inbounds.

Dude missed a tackle though, that's not anywhere near the same as forgetting fundamental game strategy or having the presence of mind to use it like JR Smith did.

You’d have to find a player that - while tied or behind in a championship game - takes a knee at the goaline thinking they could run out some clock or something like that. Hard to be that monumentally dumb, for any athlete I imagine.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Dude missed a tackle though, that's not anywhere near the same as forgetting fundamental game strategy or having the presence of mind to use it like JR Smith did.

same thing to me. "presence of mind" in the Saints' situation was just the tackle the guy. heck, wrap your arms around him and hold on to him.

and he didn't miss a tackle, he wasn't even attempting a tackle, he was doing some odd undercut of his legs things. that's not a tackle and is definitely forgetting a fundamental game strategy, as you say.

but we'll never find an exactly matching situation anyway.

33 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You’d have to find a player that - while tied or behind in a championship game - takes a knee at the goaline thinking they could run out some clock or something like that. Hard to be that monumentally dumb, for any athlete I imagine.

Yes, similar to this. Just imagine it’s a championship game and the end of the 4th. 

washknee.0.gif

43 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Richard-Sherman-face.jpg

Not really. If you look at every facet of that play. The best move was to pass. You can debate the type of pass, but even then if Wilson threw it better it would not be intercepted. The time and down situation meant you needed to pass to get a third play off, the Patriots defense was practically daring them to pass, if you had an incompletion you still had two downs to run it (and because of the time you were never going to run it more than twice anyways), Lynch was not good in short yardage situations, that entire year passes on the goal line were analytically one of the safest passes, that play in particular had been pretty successful for Seattle that year, they got the match up they wanted. 

It really took a lightning in a bottle situation of Belichick being the type of coach to practice that play, Browner being a former Seahawk recognizing that play and informing Butler and jamming the receiver, Butler remembering how he got the play wrong in practice and knowing exactly what to do, and Wilson being a little off with the pass. 

Based off the in game situation, that was actually a really smart call and 99.9% of the time is either going to be a TD or the receiver drops the ball and it's an incompletion (which stopping the clock was also favorable to the Seahawks there). 

That's the complete opposite of he JR Smith scenario where he clearly had no idea what was going on in the game when he got the rebound and didn't analyze both the score and the game clock. 

Bostick was probably a closer comparison because he had Jordy Nelson behind him and there was no reason to make that mistake. It was a player losing focus of the situation.

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Not really. If you look at every facet of that play. The best move was to pass. You can debate the type of pass, but even then if Wilson threw it better it would not be intercepted. The time and down situation meant you needed to pass to get a third play off, the Patriots defense was practically daring them to pass, if you had an incompletion you still had two downs to run it (and because of the time you were never going to run it more than twice anyways), Lynch was not good in short yardage situations, that entire year passes on the goal line were analytically one of the safest passes, that play in particular had been pretty successful for Seattle that year, they got the match up they wanted. 

It really took a lightning in a bottle situation of Belichick being the type of coach to practice that play, Browner being a former Seahawk recognizing that play and informing Butler and jamming the receiver, Butler remembering how he got the play wrong in practice and knowing exactly what to do, and Wilson being a little off with the pass. 

Based off the in game situation, that was actually a really smart call and 99.9% of the time is either going to be a TD or the receiver drops the ball and it's an incompletion (which stopping the clock was also favorable to the Seahawks there). 

That's the complete opposite of he JR Smith scenario where he clearly had no idea what was going on in the game when he got the rebound and didn't analyze both the score and the game clock. 

Bostick was probably a closer comparison because he had Jordy Nelson behind him and there was no reason to make that mistake. It was a player losing focus of the situation.

Wow. That's me shut up then.

Lynch would have scored ;)

Archived