Camp Battles - SLB / 3rd LBer.

Tugboat

This is one of the battles i'm intrigued by.

Does Blair Brown just get the snaps by default as the "incumbent"?  Can someone like Leon Jacobs learn the defense quickly enough to challenge?  Or a guy like Donald Payne who has been sorta hanging around for a while?  How many, and which LBers are we even going to end up keeping overall?

Will Poz come back out of retirement if they realize nobody is taking the bull by the horns?

Haven't really heard much out of OTAs about it, other than Blair Brown being "fine" basically.

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

All the Poz talk has me somewhat concerned like these guys are worried he isn't there 

Yeah.  That's what i'm really wondering about.

I can't imagine it's strictly an on-field thing, but that's a ton of experience, leadership, veteran savvy and just...presence around the locker room, on the sidelines, on the field...to just lose altogether, coming off a year where this defense finally came together properly.

I hope it's just guys paying respect to Poz for all the stuff he did.  But it makes me wonder.  Still really really early though.  We're just in OTAs after all.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, iPwn said:

Hmmm...Interesting.  I'm kinda pulling for him to end up ready, because physically...i think he's probably got the most upside in that role, out of the guys we have.  Just a matter of understanding the defense and his responsibilities so he's not a drag on anyone else and stuff.  Nice to hear a bit of positive stuff though.

So if Jacobs gets the role, that means Blair Brown will be pulling back up duties, which I am fine with because he's a talented backer who could always step in if someone gets injured. Let's see how the story develops once the pads get put on. I hate the heat in July, but I am going to enjoy the stories. 

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Well duh

“I see that we have some versatility. Blair [Brown] can play behind the ball, which I think he is better at. He can play on the ball, which he has shown now. I think Leon [Jacobs] has come in and done a really good job. I think that he can play the SAM linebacker position also. Brooks Ellis is a guy that maybe I did not notice as much last year, but I really think that he has come up and done a good job there. He has multiple position flexibility with SAM and MIKE. I also think that [Donald] Payne in the beginning. We put him in there without Myles [Jack], and he did a nice job of showing he can run. Deon King has done a nice job for us there. Telvin [Smith], this is one of the best camps I have seen him have since he has been here. He has really done a good job. We know what Myles can do. I think from what I have seen from that group is that we have some position flexibility and obviously we have two positions [settled] and that third position, it will be interesting to see who wins that position when we put the pads on — the SAM linebacker position.”

Archived