Who Makes the Team at WR Now?

Phire

No specific order:

Jeffrey/ Hollins/ Johnson (if he comes back healthy)

Smith/ Treggs

Agholor/

The slot will have Agholor/Ertz/ Pump/Burton who can all create different matchups. Johnson will possibly have to play some ST this preseason to show he can be on the 53. Otherwise it could fall to the next (Ward/Gibson) 

Treggs/Ward/Gibson need to start catching punts/kicks to solidify a spot

Stop bringing up Johnson's name. He has had his spot locked up already.

This move opens a spot for Gibson, Treggs or Ward to make the team.

Treggs has had probably the most consistent training camp and was the best of the bunch in the first preseason game, so he's in the lead.

Greg Ward and Shelton Gibson are probably gonna have to go to the practice squad.

@TheRealMcCoy are you thinking we were planning on keeping six active WRs on the 53?

Last year we had five, IIRC.

So with Matthews it would have been:

1. Alshon

2. Smith

3. Matthews

4. Agholor

5. Hollins

I don't see how Johnson was a lock unless we operate under the assumption we'd keep an extra WR that we didn't last year. I don't know if we do at this point but again, Doug had five last year.

1 minute ago, Phire said:

@TheRealMcCoy are you thinking we were planning on keeping six active WRs on the 53?

Last year we had five, IIRC.

Last year we had one of the worst WR units in the league, so not keeping a lot made sense.

That's not the case this year. Receiver is probably one of the strengths of the team now.

Beat writers have said the Eagles liked Johnson last year more than we realize and that he likely would've been kept had he not got injured. 

I was listening to an interview with Johnson not too long ago where he talked about how he started working out with other teams after we cut him. We immediately called him up and told him he has a place on our practice squad and scooped him up. The next day the Dolphins offered him a practice squad spot, but he told them we already called the night before.

The Eagles coaches and players speak highly of Johnson.

Jimmy Kempski asked players anonymously who they thought was the most improved player on the team and Marcus Johnson ran away with it. He had something like 14 votes and the 2nd highest vote getter was Agholor with like 4.

Johnson is making plays every day in camp and is the guy chosen most often to fill in with the 1s when Jeffery or Smith are out. He is the top back-up for either outside receiver spot now that Agholor is likely a full time slot receiver with Jordan Matthews gone.

18 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Johnson was a lock to make it before we traded Matthews.

This doesn't change anything for him.

Good to know.

But not many people here, have really seen him

All we have to go off of for Marcus is what beat writers report...which honestly only goes so far.
Every year there are receivers who they get hyped on that are "surprise" cuts come that time.

I'm eagerly waiting to see him play and buy in on him. But he's still an unknown at this point to me at least. 

44 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Good to know.

But not many people here, have really seen him

All we have to go off of for Marcus is what beat writers report...which honestly only goes so far.
Every year there are receivers who they get hyped on that are "surprise" cuts come that time.

I'm eagerly waiting to see him play and buy in on him. But he's still an unknown at this point to me at least. 

The beat writers reports only goes so far, but the Eagles coaches giving him a lot of first team snaps in place of Jeffery and Smith says A LOT.

Marcus Johnson is getting lots of snaps with the 1st team.

That is a lot different than guys like Paul Turner and Rasheed Bailey who were mainly working with the 2nd and 3rd teams.

But, yeah he is definitely an unknown to us. We can't watch practices on the daily and we didn't get to see him in the first preseason game.

Johnson was never ever a lock before the trade. There was never a need to keep 6 WR with the RB and TE who can split out or play the slot on this roster. NOW after the Trade he is defenitly in the mix  with Treggs for #5 and god forbid we see something anything from Hands of Stone Gibson so we're not wasting a 5th. Only locks

AJ, Torrey, Agholor, Hollins

Then it's

Treggs (2nd year), Johnson, Turner, Gibson, 

Archived