2nd year players most likely to breakout as STARS in 2018?

VanS

Which players from the 2017 draft that were underwhelming as rookies do you think could develop into stars this upcoming season? 

I like the following guys to have huge sophomore seasons:

1. WR Corey Davis (Titans) - my top receiver in last year's draft.....he suffered a hamstring injury in training and was never quite the same all year as he kept aggravating it.....I have a feeling 2018 is the year he establishes himself as one of the best young WRs in the NFL
  2. WR Kenny Golloday (Lions) - my #3 receiver in last year's draft (after Corey Davis and JuJu Smith-Schuster).....like Corey Davis he had a lingering hamstring injury that hindered him all year....he should develop into Matthew Stafford's favorite target this season and become a breakout star in the league
  3. RB Joe Mixon (Bengals) - as talented as any RB from last year's draft......his struggles were surprising to me although I think o-line had a lot to do with it......if the Bengals can improve up front I believe Joe Mixon will have a huge season in 2018

In with the "Pick a player from my team" post.

CB Sidney Jones: Was deemed by many experts as the best CB in the 2017 draft before his Achilles Injury set him back not only in the draft as a Top 10 pick but basically the entire 2017 season.

Here's to hoping he's Fully recovered!! Could be a Steal as a 2nd Rd pick. ??

@Nabbs4u I agree with you about Jones. I know Lattimore gets all the praise as the best cornerback in the 2017 draft but Jones has a chance to stake his claim once it’s all said and done.

Imo I’m looking forward to seeing what Everett does. Most tight ends don’t do well in their rookie season. Everett showed some flashes of what he can do with the ball in his hands. He was McVay first drafted prospect because he sees Reed type of potential in Everett. In McVay scheme the tight end is vital. Plus the loss of Watkins give the Rams one less big body when it comes to the RZ. It all sets up nicely for Everett to take that next big step in year 2 for him. If he indeed be the next Reed type of player in McVay system, Everett will be a star.

24 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Myles Garrett: The law of averages is about to catch up with the Browns. You can only be that bad for so long. They're heading to the playoffs very soon.

I agree with you on Myles Garrett.  He had 7 sacks in 11 games last year.  Like Corey Davis, he struggled with a hamstring injury all season as a rookie.  If he can stay healthy this year, I can see him having a monster sophomore season.  15+ sacks is definitely a possibility.

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Everything is setup for Trubisky to take that next step this season.  Bears did a fantastic job surrounding him with talent...

Yeah, I'm thinking Trubisky has a Wentz-like 2nd year. He's got a great O to lean on, and I think he has a breakout year this season...

Homer pick but I think Aaron Jones has a chance. On 81 rushes last year he had 441 yards and 4 TDs, 5.5 Y/A. Tied for 11th for most 20+ yard carries on by far the least attempts. He also showed a little bit of ability catching the ball out of the backfield. He will have every chance to be the Packers #1 RB this year. 

Dalvin Cook hands down for O.   Corey Davis at WR.   It might be a year early but David Njoku at TE.   I do think Mixon takes a big step forward but I think it pales to Cook’s potential in that O with such little competition.  Walton and Bernard have a good chance to eat into Mixon’s ceiling. 

As a sleeper breakout I think Cooper Kupp has immense appeal in that O.  

I agree with Sydney Jones for CB but I also think Fabian Moreau and Gareon Conley should step up as part of that deep CB class.   

I’d say Reuben Foster but I don’t know that the breakout didn’t already happen as a top 5 ILB already.  

Archived