2nd year players most likely to breakout as STARS in 2018?

VanS

On 8/16/2018 at 6:24 PM, mtmmike said:

njoku

looks like he got some real good tight end coaching

myles garrett he may be the best defensive lineman this year

Good pick.  Njoku looks really good.  Garrett will will be the best defensive lineman on the Browns, sure.  Or did you mean in the league?  Because if so, did Aaron Donald and JJ Watt retire or something?

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Good pick.  Njoku looks really good.  Garrett will will be the best defensive lineman on the Browns, sure.  Or did you mean in the league?  Because if so, did Aaron Donald and JJ Watt retire or something?

Myles Garrett is more talented than Donald and Watt.

He'll be the best defensive lineman in the NFL this year and moving forward.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

No he won't.  No chance Garrett is the best defensive lineman in the league next year. 

Garrett might not even be a top 10 defensive player this season.....let alone THE best.

Thats just ridiculous homerism to suggest that he is suddenly going to develop into THE best defensive player in football in his 2nd year, after having what most would grade around a 7/10 rookie season relative to his draft position. 

Donald, Watt, Mack, Miller, Cox, Ramsey, Wagner, Keuchly, Rhodes, Bosa, are all guys off the top of my head that Im incredibly confident projecting as better players in 2018 than Garrett. And then you have guys like Suh, Clowney, Houston, Berry, Atkins, McCoy, David.....who all arguably will be as well. 

Dont get me wrong, I like Garrett a lot. I just dont ever see him being a DPOY player. More of a guy who will maybe hit 15+ sacks a few seasons and remain one of the better edge rushers, but theres way more than just getting to the QB when it comes to judging a defensive player regardless of position.

And for the topic...

My homer picks are Derek Barnett and Sidney Jones V of course. But even before they were Eagles, I thought Jones would end up as the best corner in the 2017 draft class (even post injury) and I thought Barnett was a surefire top 10 talent who I never dreamed the Eagles being able to land at 14. 

And Corey Clement is a sleeper guy (to non Eagles fans) as well. He is going to be a really good player IMO and cement himself as Doug's feature guy in the offense this season. 

Non Eagles players:

John Ross - Love him in that offense. If I had to create a WR to play opposite AJ Green in a lab, Ross would probably be what I would end up creating.

Chidobe Awuzie - Kills me to put a Cowboy here but I love this kid. I see a big sophomore season for him.

Joe Mixon - Thought hed break out as a rookie. Poor offensive line play and an offense that was trying to use 3 dif RBs and did it very poorly. Both of those issues shouldnt be there now.

Corey Davis - Unfortunately because I believe Tennessee will throw less than almost every team minus a few, and because Im not THAT high on Mariota (I like him. Hes fine. But I just look at him and then I see a QB who isnt going to lose you games, or win them too often himself. Those things will affect Davis' numbers negatively, but I think he'll still be able to emerge as a top 15 WR.

15 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Corey Davis - Unfortunately because I believe Tennessee will throw less than almost every team minus a few, and because Im not THAT high on Mariota (I like him. Hes fine. But I just look at him and then I see a QB who isnt going to lose you games, or win them too often himself. Those things will affect Davis' numbers negatively, but I think he'll still be able to emerge as a top 15 WR.

What leads you to believe this?

16 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

What leads you to believe this?

Their personnel. 

LaFleur isn't just going to air it out. Hes going to mold the offense to cater to its best players and guys' strengths and weaknesses.

They have a dominant OL. A possibly elite RB duo with a soon to be star in Henry to go along with their addition of the still criminally underrated Dion Lewis. And then a QB whose at his best when his run game gets going, bc it allows him to run more Play Action and also to run some desigated rushing plays himself. 

Say Mariota's running game gets shut down. He has no help from his RBs in a game against a solid or great team. He has to throw 40+ times if the Titans want even a prayer of winning the game, but I dont believe he is a QB who can effectively air it out like that and pick apart a defense from the pocket. 

Im not trying to diss Mariota or anything. I like him. I just dont see him as a special passer is all. Tennessee has Derrick Henry and Dion Lewis.....And this is a league in which some teams pass it 600+ times a season. 

On 6/4/2018 at 12:30 AM, Deekster37 said:

I like 2 guys comin off of surgery Malik Hooker,Duke Riley.....also like Mike Williams but that name scares me with wideouts

Don't hold your breath on Duke he might have a better chance of losing his position than breaking out at this point xD  The guy we just drafted has been killing it this preseason so far looking way better than Duke.  Duke on the other hand has looked like trash still like he was looking last season even before the injury.    I hope it clicks for Duke and he takes a step in the right direction but it better hurry if he wants to hold off oluokun from Yale.

7 hours ago, VanS said:

He might not even be the best lineman in his draft class this year ;) A healthy Takk might have something to say about that without Clayborn sharing the snaps now.  Although Garrett is a very good player and will be for a long long time.

Non team players. 

Dalvin Cook - This guy is going to ball this year. Vikings got a steal. Seeing how the Bucs passed on this guy to draft a position that they did not really need and seeing how they could use a RB like Cook is why they have not maid the playoffs in 11 years. 

Evan Engram - On his way to being a top TE. 

Christian Mccaffrey - Even though I can't stand the g'damn panthers. I like this kid and I think he will be huge for their offense. 

Team players.

Justin Evans - Really like this kid. Should become a probowl safety. 

Chris Godwin - I really like how he has come on as of late last year and I expect him to be a household name. 

1 hour ago, BAConrad said:

Their personnel. 

LaFleur isn't just going to air it out. Hes going to mold the offense to cater to its best players and guys' strengths and weaknesses.

They have a dominant OL. A possibly elite RB duo with a soon to be star in Henry to go along with their addition of the still criminally underrated Dion Lewis. And then a QB whose at his best when his run game gets going, bc it allows him to run more Play Action and also to run some desigated rushing plays himself. 

Say Mariota's running game gets shut down. He has no help from his RBs in a game against a solid or great team. He has to throw 40+ times if the Titans want even a prayer of winning the game, but I dont believe he is a QB who can effectively air it out like that and pick apart a defense from the pocket. 

Im not trying to diss Mariota or anything. I like him. I just dont see him as a special passer is all. Tennessee has Derrick Henry and Dion Lewis.....And this is a league in which some teams pass it 600+ times a season. 

Fair assessment.

I will say this though, he’s never really had much of an opportunity to even prove if he can air it out or not. The only game I can recall him having to pass close to that many times to win a game was against the Chargers in 2016 where he was 27/43 with 313 yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs in which we ended up losing. Lafleur’s system will be infinitely better for him than Robiskie’s and with Lewis, a healthy Davis, and Taylor being used correctly he'll have much better weapons at his his disposal compared to 2016 and 2017. Aside from learning and getting accustom to another system (3rd in 4 years), he won’t have any excuses not to have a good year.

Archived