Bears Sign TE Zach Miller to 1 year deal

chisoxguy7

Per Rotoworld:

It is a classy move from the Bears. Miller suffered a dislocated knee last season which required emergency surgery just to save his leg. He has undergone nine operations since the injury, and it appears highly unlikely he is able to play again. The deal will pay Miller $790,000 if he can play this season or $458,000 if he, as expected, cannot.

Probably as important as anything it gives Miller access to team facilities and training staff while he continues his recovery toward a full and normal life after football. Probably as important or more to Miller as the salary he’s going to get to not play. This is a great move by the Bears. Players notice this stuff. ???

15 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

What constitutes “if he can play?” Can they bring him out to stand in the backfield for a kneel down play and double his salary?

Not likely, no.

Contracts are largely designed and based around snap count so unless we are planning on blowing teams out in the 1st half of every game to put ourselves in a comfortable enough position to take a knee on every possession then no lol. 

However, they could up that count if they were to bring him on plays such as say; GL situations away from the play or onside kick away from the play. But realistically, unless some unforeseen crazy circumstances occur from now until the season, there is almost no way that he can earn that extra 200k. 

After this good gesture though on the part of the FO. If I'm a player in that locker room after seeing what they did for this man.... I'm pitching in and starting an in-house fundraiser throughout the locker-room to accommodate for that extra 200k.

1. He is beloved in the locker room. This is a team that has had locker room issues in the past and who has worked very hard to rebuild a culture that was decimated by Emery, Trestman, Marshall, Bennett. If paying a guy .2% of the salary cap to help in the locker room and smooth the transition for a new coaching staff is worth it in my world.

2. Players see when a team legitimately takes care of players. Players see when a team does something like this and especially the lower end roster guys who do not have lifelong financial security. This will only help in recruiting new players and retaining the ones they have. The positive buzz the Bears generated is going to have an impact on guys.

Are they going to get anything on the field from the 458k? No, but that is not the only place that the money can have an impact.

This is great news for him, but I'll be stunned if A) He plays a single snap and B) if he's on the 53-man roster.

They'll likely IR him when it comes down to final cuts.

50 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is great news for him, but I'll be stunned if A) He plays a single snap and B) if he's on the 53-man roster.

They'll likely IR him when it comes down to final cuts.

There is no way he plays. He will be put on IR at some point, maybe PUP and left there for the season.

I don't mean to be a party pooper and these things are great for feel good headlines and goodwill.

Remember however you are obligated under the law to pay employees injured at work under various state workers compensation statutes and pay for their doctors to treat said injuries.    For life if necessary.   NFL is not exempt from these laws.  Payouts are based on set formulas using wage and injury and it is strict liability.    

Teams paying remainder of contracts or allowing use of trainers and doctors is often and probably usually the cheaper of the two options (paying an extra year and giving access to facilities OR paying a workers comp claim and doctors/treatment of their choice).

You only have 1 year  to bring a claim.  After that you are timed out.   Keeping a player happy and from filing a workers comp claim is often more cost efficient financially when it comes to serious injuries.

https://www.nflpa.com/financial-advisors/workers-compensation-information-by-state

Classy move by the Bears, but if you remember they also did the same for Johnny Knox when he suffered his catastrophic injury.  The money isn't as important as the access to medical treatment and physical therapy he will receive. 

Archived