CHI re-signs TE Zach Miller to veteran min deal despite uncertain future

Broncofan

Really class move.   Almost no chance he can play at the same level as before so basically career likely done - he almost lost his leg with that injury.   

Barely costs the Bears anything to a guy who played his heart out for them.   That kind of move creates such good PR and could impact future player loyalty.   Tip my cap to Pace & the FO here. 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/06/04/chicago-bears-do-the-right-thing-for-injured-te-miller/anfh22s/

"Miller suffered a catastrophic injury to his left leg Oct. 29, which included a dislocation of his knee and a torn artery behind his kneecap that required emergency surgery to prevent possible amputation. Miller had eight surgeries in the six weeks after his injury, and in an inspiring return to Halas Hall last December, he was able to take a few steps without the aid of crutches and a heavy brace. He began walking without crutches in March."

Nice move by the Bears and a similar injury/emergency as Bridgewater suffered

Great move, wish more teams would do stuff like this. It’s not of a lot of cost for the franchise but means a lot to the players and their family. Even just so they can go out on their terms(of sorts)

They basically donated a half-mil to him and his cause and for good reason. Can't be mad at that.

I still remember the one- handed catch he made against the Charges a few years ago in the end-zone to take the lead when Cutler threw a 100mph fast ball over his head and what looked to be out of his range.

20 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Love the move.

I hope he transitions to a positional coach to mentor Shaheen and Burton after he heals.

How likely is that he ever comes back and plays? I can't imagine that being a very high number.

Like I said before, his life outside of football is more important than being able to play. I wish him the very best and I applaud the Bears for this move.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

How likely is that he ever comes back and plays? I can't imagine that being a very high number.

Like I said before, his life outside of football is more important than being able to play. I wish him the very best and I applaud the Bears for this move.

Very, very little chance. This was merely a donation at this point.

That said though, right now we have 3 TE's who are, without a doubt, going to make the 53 roster. I suspect that Nagy is probably more comfortable with going into the season with 4 TE's given his coaching tendencies, and where those tendencies are derived from and while I don't see Miller being in any of those plans come September.....where do they go from here to fill that 4th spot? Epspecially given that we're most likely going to see alot 12's that include both Shaheen and Burton in on the same plays... 

I suspect that we will soon see the Bears sign another TE when they place Miller on the pup list or possibly even sooner than that. 

Archived