2018 LB Corps

StLunatic88

Seems like the LBs will be a hot topic as we go into the season, so might as well give them their own thread, and might as well start here;

This was brought up by some around here, but there have been whispers for awhile that the coaches really like Littleton. And now he is running the defense, so its pretty clear he is going to be one of those starters this year. I like his versatility, and he plays pretty smart from what we have seen.

I wonder if he is really ready for this, or if he is just the best option we have?

Littleton definitely seems like he will start. I wonder if Barron will start or if someone else will instead 

I've also been impressed with the kid from Smu, Lawler. He's been running with the ones as well. Will be interesting to see if that sticks all through camp as well.

I still believe we will bring in a vet before or during camp.  Too much has been invested in this defense over the offseason to just let Littleton, Ebukam, Lawler, Kiser, Oko, and other late round/UDFA's be the basis of our LB core. I'm all for diamonds in the rough and believe our coaching staff is phenomenal, but wayyyy too much responsibility on first/second year guys for my liking.

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I still believe we will bring in a vet before or during camp.  Too much has been invested in this defense over the offseason to just let Littleton, Ebukam, Lawler, Kiser, Oko, and other late round/UDFA's be the basis of our LB core. I'm all for diamonds in the rough and believe our coaching staff is phenomenal, but wayyyy too much responsibility on first/second year guys for my liking.

We do have the vet; Mark Barron

And we might bring in another guy, but Im not sure you are considering how Wade puts together his LB Corps. Plus we showed about no interest in Kendricks

On 6/14/2018 at 7:25 AM, chris00cm said:

Yep. Lets just act like Wade Phillips has this in mind.

If he can be like Trevathan I’d be stoked. New/unknown ILB seem to always do well in Wades system. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

• 1 month later...

I watched Littleton fairly closely last year. He played well when he stepped in. He was a bit of a liability in coverage, but he was our best run stuffer at ILB. I was also impressed with Ebukam. He had some rookie lapses, but he showed a lot of versatility. I think Kiser could step in for Littleton as a thumper if he's hurt. And I like Obo's overall game (although, his run defense might leave something to be desired). Longacre is solid if the back is healed up. I also really liked Tegray Scales's film; he's undersized but can do it all. The only big concern I have is that our depth at OLB is quite questionable. I think we have very good depth at ILB.

19 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I watched Littleton fairly closely last year. He played well when he stepped in. He was a bit of a liability in coverage, but he was our best run stuffer at ILB. I was also impressed with Ebukam. He had some rookie lapses, but he showed a lot of versatility. I think Kiser could step in for Littleton as a thumper if he's hurt. And I like Obo's overall game (although, his run defense might leave something to be desired). Longacre is solid if the back is healed up. I also really liked Tegray Scales's film; he's undersized but can do it all. The only big concern I have is that our depth at OLB is quite questionable. I think we have very good depth at ILB.

Any potential camp casualties that you could see us making a move for Vet wise? At either ILB or OLB.

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Haven't really thought about it. No clue.

Slackin man. You're the go to for these things lol

I have noticed that since we are now "established" Rams posters are a little less engaged this time of year. Normally we get so hyped that we are posting like crazy about potential late round steals, possible record, when we will get the ship turned around. Now it appears we have arrived and all we care about is the season. Bitter sweet from a poster stand point.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Slackin man. You're the go to for these things lol

I have noticed that since we are now "established" Rams posters are a little less engaged this time of year. Normally we get so hyped that we are posting like crazy about potential late round steals, possible record, when we will get the ship turned around. Now it appears we have arrived and all we care about is the season. Bitter sweet from a poster stand point.

Two questions about signing a vet LB.

1) Why?

2) With what money?

23 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Two questions about signing a vet LB.

1) Why?

2) With what money?

1.) We are in win now mode. Besides Barron, the LB's we have are 1st/2nd year guys with minimal experience and even less starting experience. I am personally not comfortable with the depth behind Ebukam, Littleton, and Barron. I do not even know who the other OLB will, but likely a rookie which would scare me even more. Would love to see a vet at that position. Kind of wanted Barwin back for another year. Dwight Freeney/Elvis DUmervil if they are still around and willing to play come to mind. Just for guidance to the young guys and situational pass rushing.

2.) Veteran's that have been cut and are looking to sign here because of a potential SB appearance would be willing to take the Vet's minimum. Previous to signing Gurley, we had the 2nd least amount of cap space committed to the 2019-2020 season (2nd to Buffalo). Something could be done.

Archived