Let's Talk Defense

9 hours ago, Chieferific said:

You can criticize the FO for not investing early Rd pix at the DB position for years but I don't think you can criticize them for not having 5th, 6th and 7th rdrs panning out. 

Exactly.  I've grown so tired of all these "Our 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round pick didn't work, they suck at evaluating!!"

And this is awesome, I found this in an article from a KCC blog site talking about draft success by position:

• Of the 510 defensive backs drafted, 121 became starters.
  • You have the same success rate drafting a DB in the 7th round as you do drafting one in the 4th (11%)
  • On average, you have the following number of DBs taken per round: 1st - 6, 2nd - 6, 3rd - 7, 4th - 8, 5th - 8, 6th - 7, 7th - 9
  • After you get past the success rates of the first two rounds (64% in the first, 46% in the second), there isn't a huge difference in success (24% - 3rd, 11% - 4th, 17% - 5th, 8% - 6th, 11% - 7th)
  • DBs provide the best success potential in the 7th round versus other positions in that round.

Here's what they count as success:

This post has a simple criteria: How many players were drafted by position and round over the last decade and how many went on to become a starter.

So lets take the Steelers draft for a decade (07-17 drafts) and see how we stack up (bolded are starters):

17: Cam Sutton (3), Brian Allen (5)

16: Artie Burns (1), Sean Davis (2)

15: Senquez Golson (2), Doran Grant (4), Gerod Holliman (7)

14: Shaquille Richardson (5)

13: Shamarko Thomas (4), Terry Hawthorne (5)

12: Terrence Frederick (7)

11: Curtis Brown (3), Cortez Allen (4)

10: Crezdon Butler (5)

09: Keenan Lewis (3), Joe Burnett (5)

08: Ryan Mundy (6)

07: William Gay (5)

So 1 first round DB pick, we'll ignore that for now.  1 of 2 in round two....look at that, right at the average for starters!! 1 of 3 out of the third round....oh look, BEATING THE AVERAGE!!!!  2 of 3 has been successes out of round 4, BEATING THE AVERAGE!!!! 1 of 6 which is right about to slightly above the average in round 5.  We've only drafted 1 in round 6, so I'll ignore that.  0 for 2 in the 7th round.....ok now you have a reason to complain.  We don't draft a starter 11% of the time in the 7th round.

So now all you whiners of we don't draft as good late in the draft and all we do is draft busts can sit down and shut it.

Now if you want to say that our drafting has lead to poor depth, whether due to injury (Golson, Richardson, Hawthorn, Frederick, Butler, Thomas), or we cut them too soon (Holliman, Grant, Burnett); that I can be a little more on board with because it's my same complaint.  But to say it's a bunch of busts and we're that bad....you are flat out wrong.

48 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Exactly.  I've grown so tired of all these "Our 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round pick didn't work, they suck at evaluating!!"

And this is awesome, I found this in an article from a KCC blog site talking about draft success by position:

Here's what they count as success:

So lets take the Steelers draft for a decade (07-17 drafts) and see how we stack up (bolded are starters):

17: Cam Sutton (3), Brian Allen (5)

16: Artie Burns (1), Sean Davis (2)

15: Senquez Golson (2), Doran Grant (4), Gerod Holliman (7)

14: Shaquille Richardson (5)

13: Shamarko Thomas (4), Terry Hawthorne (5)

12: Terrence Frederick (7)

11: Curtis Brown (3), Cortez Allen (4)

10: Crezdon Butler (5)

09: Keenan Lewis (3), Joe Burnett (5)

08: Ryan Mundy (6)

07: William Gay (5)

So 1 first round DB pick, we'll ignore that for now.  1 of 2 in round two....look at that, right at the average for starters!! 1 of 3 out of the third round....oh look, BEATING THE AVERAGE!!!!  2 of 3 has been successes out of round 4, BEATING THE AVERAGE!!!! 1 of 6 which is right about to slightly above the average in round 5.  We've only drafted 1 in round 6, so I'll ignore that.  0 for 2 in the 7th round.....ok now you have a reason to complain.  We don't draft a starter 11% of the time in the 7th round.

So now all you whiners of we don't draft as good late in the draft and all we do is draft busts can sit down and shut it.

Now if you want to say that our drafting has lead to poor depth, whether due to injury (Golson, Richardson, Hawthorn, Frederick, Butler, Thomas), or we cut them too soon (Holliman, Grant, Burnett); that I can be a little more on board with because it's my same complaint.  But to say it's a bunch of busts and we're that bad....you are flat out wrong.

You make a living out of complaining about the complainers.  

If you are counting Shamarko and Cortez and Mundy as good picks, then you are stretching the truth quite a bit.

I really don't know how you can defend the drafting of the DBs over the last 10 years.  Dreadful, awful picks for the most part.   Curtis Brown anyone?Joe Burnett?

Beating the average!  2 out of 3! ???  Smoke and mirrors, my friend.  

Fortunately, that's past history and not really relevant to our current roster, but let's not write revisionist history.  

12 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

You make a living out of complaining about the complainers.  

If you are counting Shamarko and Cortez and Mundy as good picks, then you are stretching the truth quite a bit.

I really don't know how you can defend the drafting of the DBs over the last 10 years.  Dreadful, awful picks for the most part.   Curtis Brown anyone?Joe Burnett?

Beating the average!  2 out of 3! ???  Smoke and mirrors, my friend.  

Fortunately, that's past history and not really relevant to our current roster, but let's not write revisionist history.  

By the standard of their stats and a starter, then those three qualify as they were all starters at one point. 

And beating the average is beating the average. Lol. 

Overall we get more starts out of the round 3, and round 4-7 from the DB position than other teams. Therefore the complaints about it are either griping over nothing or complaining about the NFL in general. 

12 hours ago, Chieferific said:

You can criticize the FO for not investing early Rd pix at the DB position for years but I don't think you can criticize them for not having 5th, 6th and 7th rdrs panning out. 

We have had bad drafting or luck at CB and OLB, but Watt is legit.  With the signing of Haden, it really helped us out, but that was UFA.  I hope /expect one of the CB's on the roster to replace burns and we will have legit CB's by seasons end.  OLB thought, they are committed to making Dupree work and prove they aren't delusional, so one more season9_9

Archived