2019 Draft Off-Ball LB Prospect General Discussion Thread

Jeezla

I wanted a place to discuss potential 2019 NFL Draft non-pass rushing LB prospects, so let's do that here.

Who are some potential stud LB's you have your eye on for April 25-27, 2019?

Some potentially draftable names to discuss:

Devin White

Josh Allen

Shaquille Quarterman

Paddy Fisher

Khalil Hodge

TJ Edwards

Joe Giles-Harris

Joe Dineen Jr.

Logan Wilson

Khaleke Hudson?

Tron Folsom

Joe Bachie

Charles Wright

Azeez Al-Shaair

Tre Lamar

Anfernee Jennings

Kendall Joseph

13 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I wanted a place to discuss potential 2019 NFL Draft non-pass rushing LB prospects, so let's do that here.

Who are some potential stud LB's you have your eye on for April 25-27, 2019?

Some potentially draftable names to discuss:

Devin White

Josh Allen

Shaquille Quarterman

Paddy Fisher

Khalil Hodge

TJ Edwards

Joe Giles-Harris

Joe Dineen Jr.

Logan Wilson

Khaleke Hudson?

Tron Folsom

Joe Bachie

Charles Wright

Azeez Al-Shaair

Tre Lamar

Anfernee Jennings

Kendall Joseph

To me Josh Allen is a total 3/4 pass rushing OLB.  Sure maybe he could become a Anthony Barr type and make that transition but still the kid is a big athletic linebacker that has fine pass rush skills and is a 3/4 OLB pass rushing prospect.  Same with Anfernee Jennings, he is a 3/4 OLB pass rusher all the way and late last year before the injury was a beast on the edge and can get some very consistent pressure in the pocket.  

Hard to not include pass rush ability because there are a lot of guys who can do both.  Devin Bush for one is a fine blitzing backer and that is one of his best abilities.

Outside of the guys you already mentioned above here are some other ones.  Really like David Long and how he can get off blocks and make plays despite being a small linebacker.  And Gary Johnson could have a real breakout year, great speed and can really run.  And I love Drue Tranquill, former safety who is well put together and a fine athlete, could be a very good coverage linebacker and has the toughness to make a hit as well, could have a fine season.  His teammate Coney is also a very productive and really athletic linebacker.  Dakota Allen is very interesting as well, stout linebacker who was really productive last year I thought in some big games.  

ILB

Devin Bush Michigan JR

Cameron Smith USC SR

Anthony Wheeler Texas SR

Ryan Connelly Wisconsin RS SR

Ben Humphreys Duke SR

Dakota Allen Texas Tech SR

Otaro Alaka Texas A&M RS SR

Ty Summers TCU SR

OLB

David Long Jr West Virginia RS JR

Gary Johnson Texas SR

Drue Tranquill Notre Dame SR

Te'von Coney Notre Dame SR

Germaine Pratt NC State SR

Jordan Jones Kentucky SR

Dante Booker Ohio State RS SR

Dre Greenlaw Arkansas SR

Bryson Allen-Williams South Carolina SR

Joe Bachie I really like as well, very athletic linebacker who is super tough and aggressive.  Would be surprised if he came out early for the draft though.  And Tre Lamar has talent but still to me has a long ways to go, will see if he can make that next step this year.  Khaleke Hudson will be interesting to see how he comes in, if he put on some weight or not.  He as well is arguably best at rushing the passer and getting penetration in the backfield, not a 3/4 OLB of course and is in a hybrid position specific to that defense but still is arguably best as a speed rusher compared to taking on blocks and holding the point of attack.  

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

No way man! Why do u think this? Both are great, but Shaq is a freaking stud muffin. He's my top LB'er in the 2019 draft. 

Better instincts, better athlete(neither are great athletes), and Pinckney to me is just an better playmaker. Both are very good players but I think Shaq will be limited in the NFL much like Perryman is. Don’t see a 3 down LB. 

54 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Better instincts, better athlete(neither are great athletes), and Pinckney to me is just an better playmaker. Both are very good players but I think Shaq will be limited in the NFL much like Perryman is. Don’t see a 3 down LB. 

I agree he is not super elite, or has not shown that just yet.  Quarterman has been a good prospect so far, nothing yet great about him will see what he is like this year with much less talent ahead of him on that DL.

The likes of Devin White, Devin Bush, Paddy Fisher and maybe even TJ Edwards and Cameron Smith are ahead of Quarterman as ILB prospects.  To me White, Bush and Fisher are far ahead of him, the others just slightly.  Will see if Quarterman can be more of a game changer this year.  As juniors could even say Joe Bachie was a more impactful player at ILB last year than Quarterman, and Mack Wilson could become a dang good ILB for Alabama this year as a full time starter.

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I agree he is not super elite, or has not shown that just yet.  Quarterman has been a good prospect so far, nothing yet great about him will see what he is like this year with much less talent ahead of him on that DL.

I definitely wouldn’t say “much less” talent on the DL. Miami’s DL is still incredibly talented and Joe Jackson has the potential to be a 1st round pick in next years draft. Gerald Willis comes back who to me is a better version of RJ RcIntosh. He just had off the field issues. Still plenty of talent on Miami’s DL with guys like Demetrius Jackson and Jon Garvin(very talented sophomore) also returning. Garvin and Jackson made McGlinchey look undraftedable in the ND-Miami game. Norton, McIntosh, and Thomas are losses but certainly weren’t irreplaceable.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

52 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I definitely wouldn’t say “much less” talent on the DL. Miami’s DL is still incredibly talented and Joe Jackson has the potential to be a 1st round pick in next years draft. Gerald Willis comes back who to me is a better version of RJ RcIntosh. He just had off the field issues. Still plenty of talent on Miami’s DL with guys like Demetrius Jackson and Jon Garvin(very talented sophomore) also returning. Garvin and Jackson made McGlinchey look undraftedable in the ND-Miami game. Norton, McIntosh, and Thomas are losses but certainly weren’t irreplaceable.

I am not super high on Joe Jackson as being this big 1st round pick but will see.  I honestly think he was out played by the likes of Chad Thomas last year and he was a 3rd round pick.  RJ McIntosh who flashed late 1st or early 2nd round potential last year ended up being a 5th round pick and Kendrick Norton was a 7th round pick who flashed at times more than that in his career. 

Gerald Willis maybe will develop but to get to the level of McIntosh will be an accomplishment.  And Jonathan Garvin flashed in that one game big time but it was one game and one sack and a forced fumble.  Needs to obviously be a little more consistent than just showing up in one game.  Last year they had Jackson, McIntosh, Norton and Thomas as the starters.  To me no way they match that this year with talent but will see, I feel McIntosh and Thomas were very hard for teams to handle physically and took pressure off Jackson.  Now it will be Jackson and will see if anyone can get to that level, and will see how talented their young players are coming in as well.  Miami has not had that great of depth on the DL for the past five years or so in terms of big time NFL prospects.  This past years group is about as good as they have been in a long while, so will be curious if they can reload or not completely or not, especially in 2020 when Jackson is gone as well.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

And Jonathan Garvin flashed in that one game big time but it was one game and one sack and a forced fumble.  Needs to obviously be a little more consistent than just showing up in one game.

this is....not true

39 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is....not true

Then tell me exactly why last year he was and or is not just a one trick pony at the moment?  A light DE who is a speed rusher but when asked to defend the run and hold the point of attack he leaves a lot to be desired.  Can get around players at times but last year was in a backup role, little different being the game to game starter playing a lot more minutes and having to play tired and under stress a lot more.  When I saw him last year sure he flashed but was very sporadic in his playmaking in the little minutes he did play.  Oh max showed up in what two games and both were blowouts especially the Notre Dame game.  To call the guy this potential super star DE at this point, is a little stretch and he needs to show more, talented yes but I would not call him some great talent just off of what he showed last year.  Will see how he develops and does when he actually plays consistently.  Janarious Robinson on Florida State really flashed in last years spring game and did well the little he played last year, no one is calling him this super star DE until he actual proves it on the field, will see how Garvin does.  

35 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Then tell me exactly why last year he was and or is not just a one trick pony at the moment?  A light DE who is a speed rusher but when asked to defend the run and hold the point of attack he leaves a lot to be desired.  Can get around players at times but last year was in a backup role, little different being the game to game starter playing a lot more minutes and having to play tired and under stress a lot more.  When I saw him last year sure he flashed but was very sporadic in his playmaking in the little minutes he did play.  Oh max showed up in what two games and both were blowouts especially the Notre Dame game.  To call the guy this potential super star DE at this point, is a little stretch and he needs to show more, talented yes but I would not call him some great talent just off of what he showed last year.  Will see how he develops and does when he actually plays consistently.  Janarious Robinson on Florida State really flashed in last years spring game and did well the little he played last year, no one is calling him this super star DE until he actual proves it on the field, will see how Garvin does.  

Show me where anyone said super star? I said he was very talented and he is. He was an underrated recruit coming out of high school and flashed in his freshman season. The same way Joe Jackson did his freshman year and the same way I expect Gregory Rousseau to do this year as well. You’re seriously overrating McIntosh. There’s a reason he wasn’t drafted high. He was very inconsistent and still needed dramatic improvement. Joe Jackson and Demetrius Jackson will be the starters at DE this year but best believe Rousseau and Garvin will play a great deal this season. Doesn’t make them any less talented considering both Joe and Demetrius Jackson will get drafted in next years draft.

21 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Show me where anyone said super star? I said he was very talented and he is. He was an underrated recruit coming out of high school and flashed in his freshman season. The same way Joe Jackson did his freshman year and the same way I expect Gregory Rousseau to do this year as well. You’re seriously overrating McIntosh. There’s a reason he wasn’t drafted high. He was very inconsistent and still needed dramatic improvement. Joe Jackson and Demetrius Jackson will be the starters at DE this year but best believe Rousseau and Garvin will play a great deal this season. Doesn’t make them any less talented considering both Joe and Demetrius Jackson will get drafted in next years draft.

Miami has had two DLs drafted since 2013 and now last year three were drafted in 2018 alone and more to come.  Still will see just how full the cupboard is at Miami in that regard and this season will tell that.   Oh and Trent Harris was in the group last year and had 8.5 sacks, cannot believe how I forgot him, even more reason why last years group was far more talented than the up coming group in my view.  

As for Demetrius Jackson, better or as good as all of these DEs listed below, good luck with that in next years draft which is flat out loaded with DE talent.  Does have more strength and ability to hold his own at the point of attack than Garvin but still is a long shot unless he really has a great year which might happen, will see.

Nick Bosa Ohio State JR

Rashan Gary Michigan JR

Clelin Ferrell Clemson RS JR

Raekwon Davis Alabama JR

Zach Allen Boston College

Brian Burns Florida State JR

Jaylon Ferguson La Tech

Joe Jackson Miami FL JR

Ben Banogu TCU JR RS

Austin Bryant Clemson

Charles Omenihu Texas

Corbin Kaufusi BYU RS JR

Porter Gustin USC

Anthony Nelson Iowa RS JR

Isaiah Buggs Alabama

Chase Winovich Michigan

Rick Wade UCLA JR

Montez Sweat Miss State

Jalen Jelks Oregon RS

Matt Nelson Iowa

Cece Jefferson Florida

Darian Roseboro NC State

Jaylen Johnson Washington

Malik Carney UNC

Vinny Mihota Virginia Tech

Johnny Dwight Alabama RS

Cole Walterscheid Ok State

And sure maybe I overrate McIntosh but I think at times he really flashed big time potential from the inside DT spot with his length and ability to get penetration consistently.  They might struggle this up coming season getting that same kind of interior production in terms of pass rush potential without having to move DEs into that DT spot which even last year they did quite often on pass rush downs.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

i don't know if he's a superstar DE. i do know that saying he only flashed in one game is flat-out wrong, which is all i said. not sure what you're going on about.