2019 Draft Off-Ball LB Prospect General Discussion Thread

Jeezla

I am a big fan of Devin Bush. I'm sure a lot of teams will pass on him because of his size, but he's exactly the sort of LB you need in today's NFL. He's athletic enough to keep up with the receiving threats in the backfield, he can run sideline to sideline, and he is fearless filling gaps. His lack of length will hurt him at times, but his athleticism, instincts, and physicality more than make up for it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I am a big fan of Devin Bush. I'm sure a lot of teams will pass on him because of his size, but he's exactly the sort of LB you need in today's NFL. He's athletic enough to keep up with the receiving threats in the backfield, he can run sideline to sideline, and he is fearless filling gaps. His lack of length will hurt him at times, but his athleticism, instincts, and physicality more than make up for it.

He does everything well and has great instincts. Lavonte David-like in that sense. I think he's a future NFL star honestly.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He's reminds me of Blair Brown on the Jags. Brown hasn't translated to the NFL, unfortunately, but I liked him a lot headed into the draft, and Bush played against much better competition.

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Just not in the 1st round.  I do not trust any MACK LB who has never had more than 50 solo tackles in a season.

25 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Just not in the 1st round.  I do not trust any MACK LB who has never had more than 50 solo tackles in a season.

I'd take him at #31 in the first round for the Rams. Films speaks for itself. Don't care about the numbers.

24 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Very true, and Bush would need a ton of production ahead of him so he could get free and just be able to run.  If he had to get off blocks consistently not so sure he would do well.

When the Vikings got Eric Kendricks it was like great, an athletic linebacker who brings speed to the defense and can make plays.  But if the DL does not play well he does not play well and despite being a solid athlete he still struggles in coverage at times because of his lack of awareness. He has kind of tapped out as a player and has not gotten better if anything got worse over this past year.  Bush is awesome going down hill attacking and free but back to the QB in coverage not so sure he would be that aggressive or good.  In the right system he could do well but would have to be in the correct situation and probably late 1st round so he is surrounded with more talented potentially.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Very true, and Bush would need a ton of production ahead of him so he could get free and just be able to run.  If he had to get off blocks consistently not so sure he would do well.

When the Vikings got Eric Kendricks it was like great, an athletic linebacker who brings speed to the defense and can make plays.  But if the DL does not play well he does not play well and despite being a solid athlete he still struggles in coverage at times because of his lack of awareness. He has kind of tapped out as a player and has not gotten better if anything got worse over this past year.  Bush is awesome going down hill attacking and free but back to the QB in coverage not so sure he would be that aggressive or good.  In the right system he could do well but would have to be in the correct situation and probably late 1st round so he is surrounded with more talented potentially.

What MLB in today's NFL is asked to take on and defeat blocks consistently? Bush is strong, physical, agile, and uses his hands well. He can defeat and evade blocks plenty well for a guy who can move like he can.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

What MLB in today's NFL is asked to take on and defeat blocks consistently? Bush is strong, physical, agile, and uses his hands well. He can defeat and evade blocks plenty well for a guy who can move like he can.

The great ones can like Kuechly and Wagner and Vander Esch is good at it for a rookie, but sure not many are asked now a days.  Bush could be a decent fit for the Rams but not ideal, they already have speed at the position.  I think the Rams need a stronger guy, since Littleton is one ILB they got I think a guy like Tre Lamar could be a good combo with him and could be there in the 2nd round.  Or in the later rounds a TJ Edwards, Kunaszyk or better yet middle round Okereke or Dodson as a developmental guy with a high upside.  Devin White would be the absolute ideal but they will never get a chance at him unless they trade a ton.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

The great ones can like Kuechly and Wagner and Vander Esch is good at it for a rookie, but sure not many are asked now a days.  Bush could be a decent fit for the Rams but not ideal, they already have speed at the position.  I think the Rams need a stronger guy, since Littleton is one ILB they got I think a guy like Tre Lamar could be a good combo with him and could be there in the 2nd round.  Or in the later rounds a TJ Edwards, Kunaszyk or better yet middle round Okereke or Dodson as a developmental guy with a high upside.  Devin White would be the absolute ideal but they will never get a chance at him unless they trade a ton.  

Wagner is an inch taller and a few pounds heavier than Bush. I don't want Tre Lamar. I want a great ILB. 

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Wagner is an inch taller and a few pounds heavier than Bush. I don't want Tre Lamar. I want a great ILB. 

I happen to think Lamar has a chance to be a great ILB. Maybe we just prioritize different skill sets.

30 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Well the more I look at it where the Rams pick in the draft, doubt Bush would even be there to begin with at 31.  I say he goes to Pittsburgh at 20, or Baltimore at 22 if they decide not to sign Mosley but I bet they will resign him.  If you want a great ILB it would Mosley but doubt they even have the cash for that.  So getting a guy like Lamar might be their only chance, or hope Kiser develops or like I said get a guy like Okereke or Dodson middle rounds and hope they develop into something.  

Bush could also got to the Raiders at 24 or 27 or even the Chiefs at 29.  I guess the Rams could trade up also but doubt they even have the capital to do that. 

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Well the more I look at it where the Rams pick in the draft, doubt Bush would even be there to begin with at 31.  I say he goes to Pittsburgh at 20, or Baltimore at 22 if they decide not to sign Mosley but I bet they will resign him.  If you want a great ILB it would Mosley but doubt they even have the cash for that.  So getting a guy like Lamar might be their only chance, or hope Kiser develops or like I said get a guy like Okereke or Dodson middle rounds and hope they develop into something.  

Bush could also got to the Raiders at 24 or 27 or even the Chiefs at 29.  I guess the Rams could trade up also but doubt they even have the capital to do that. 

Cool. We'll see what happens.

18 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Also Tre Lamar is not good

Yeah.  He may honestly have the stiffest hips i've ever seen in a LBer.  Watching him in space is almost comical.  There just aren't places in today's NFL for a guy who is going to be that kind of liability in even basic coverage responsibilities.  Even when it comes to the run game, he'll be an easy target for NFL caliber OLinemen who move better than him.  You're basically left with a sort of "old school thumper" LBer, who doesn't even really "thump" much.

With his size, i honestly wonder if he'd be better off just trying his hand as an interior pass rusher or something.

• Like 1