2019 Draft Off-Ball LB Prospect General Discussion Thread

Jeezla

On 2/25/2019 at 9:21 AM, Jeezla said:

Watched UTSA LB Josiah Tauaefa. He's got good size and tackling ability, but he doesn't seem like a great athlete or very instinctive vs the pass. He is one of the better Off-ball LB's at stacking and shedding in this draft though.

Sounds like a Patriots LB....

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

He reminds me of a pick the 9ers were burned by (as in he 'retired' after his rookie season)...Chris Borland, including the short arm stuff. I think the kid can play and would love to have him in perhaps the 4th round...

Yeah, we do know that it can work to some extent (since Borland only played half a season, hard to say whether or not his success would have continued). Borland was stronger, more traditionally sound as a tackler in my opinion, but Cashman is far more athletic and fluid. 

I have soured on Devin Bush.  The lack of splash plays in 3 years as a ILB scare me.  He never seems to be around the ball and gets faked in zone coverage all the time.  If someone want to talk me down ( or talk him up) have at it.  I just see no instincts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I have soured on Devin Bush.  The lack of splash plays in 3 years as a ILB scare me.  He never seems to be around the ball and gets faked in zone coverage all the time.  If someone want to talk me down ( or talk him up) have at it.  I just see no instincts.

Yeah, me too. I was down on him originally, then my interest ticked back up, now I'm with you. Is there a day one starter at MACK in this draft other than Devin White?

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, me too. I was down on him originally, then my interest ticked back up, now I'm with you. Is there a day one starter at MACK in this draft other than Devin White?

Maybe after Hanks runs a 4.3 /40, a 6.7 /3-cone, and 4.2 /ss at his pro day on the 12th. :P 

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

Didn't he hurt his leg at the combine? Will he be ready to roll?

Really dunno yet; have not heard. Someone said it was a hamstring, but the severity of it, just dunno yet. Will certainly update in here when I find out. 

33 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Did anyone see how Cameron Smith looked in the drills at the combine? He tested pretty well but I didn't see any drills.

Coverage was pretty lousy this year, imo. I did just watch his first two drills. COD directives, and the the bag drill. He looked aiight on both, but there is some stiffness you can't miss. 

looked pretty good on the next one too (that zig zag back to the cones to open up hips in coverage one).. NOt hurting himself in these drills.. just a little stiff in transition like so many. 

Edited by oldman9er

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

I saw the opposite with Bush.

On 3/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

So what's the deal with Khalil Hodge? 

Tremendous instincts and play recognition ability with limited athleticism.

• Like 2

I like Bush, but the "sources say" section on the NFL combine profile talked about how David Long from WVU was basically a discount Bush and I can't stop seeing it.  Long is a little more aggressive and reckless with his play, but numbers wise, they're incredibly similar, and I think both will have very good careers.  Anyone else see the comparison?

3 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

I like Bush, but the "sources say" section on the NFL combine profile talked about how David Long from WVU was basically a discount Bush and I can't stop seeing it.  Long is a little more aggressive and reckless with his play, but numbers wise, they're incredibly similar, and I think both will have very good careers.  Anyone else see the comparison?

agreed. Long in the 3rd or 4th round might be better value.