2019 Draft Off-Ball LB Prospect General Discussion Thread

Jeezla

Watched UTSA LB Josiah Tauaefa. He's got good size and tackling ability, but he doesn't seem like a great athlete or very instinctive vs the pass. He is one of the better Off-ball LB's at stacking and shedding in this draft though.

Edited by Jeezla

What do you guys reckon of Ty Summers? Was a productive LB a year or so ago before playing d-line.

ran a 4.51 at 6’1 241lbs with a 36” vert and  123” broad along with excellent 27 reps on the bench. Didn’t see a 3cone though and not sure how good he is out of the big12 but is a super sparq guy that has been productive. Any good?

On 04/03/2019 at 1:01 AM, goldfishwars said:

I don't really see the LVE vibes.  I'm not seeing quite the same dominant physical attributes there.  But Cashman seriously reminds me of a Paul Posluszny with the odometer wound back about a decade.

Usually when i see someone's name surge post-combine that i haven't really looked at, i go in with a kinda negative "underwear hero" bias and roll my eyes a bit.  But man, how the heck was this guy hiding under a rock like this?

24 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't really see the LVE vibes.  I'm not seeing quite the same dominant physical attributes there.  But Cashman seriously reminds me of a Paul Posluszny with the odometer wound back about a decade.

Usually when i see someone's name surge post-combine that i haven't really looked at, i go in with a kinda negative "underwear hero" bias and roll my eyes a bit.  But man, how the heck was this guy hiding under a rock like this?

Haha yeah Jonah went in a little hard there. 

From what I can gather, he went from walk-on (no star rating from high-school) to a period where he suffered with injuries, to absolutely crushing it in his senior year. No call up to the post season all-star game is a head scratcher considering the combine invite came through okay, but I’m guessing that’s how the spotlight remained off until now.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:01 AM, goldfishwars said:

He literally missed a tackle three plays later @ 10:46. I like him though, from the small parts I've seen. He's smart, has good instincts, looks technically sound, and has the athletic components you look for at the position. Most importantly he looks comfortable in space.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

He literally missed a tackle three plays later @ 10:46. I like him though, from the small parts I've seen. He's smart, has good instincts, looks technically sound, and has the athletic components you look for at the position. Most importantly he looks comfortable in space.

This is actually my concern with him moving forward at the next level. I think he's going to struggle with missed tackles. He's explosive, can stick around the ball, but I don't view him as super strong and he's going to have a limited tackle radius on bringing ball carriers down in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is actually my concern with him moving forward at the next level. I think he's going to struggle with missed tackles. He's explosive, can stick around the ball, but I don't view him as super strong and he's going to have a limited tackle radius on bringing ball carriers down in my opinion. 

30 1/8 inch arms don't help either.

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Missed tackles doesn't seem to be something that concerned PFF in their tracking of him (FWIW)

72. Blake Cashman, Linebacker, Minnesota

72-Cashman.jpeg

Taking into account all facets of play for a linebacker, Cashman was one of only two linebackers in the country who finished with 80.0-plus grades in run defense, pass-rushing, coverage and tackling this season.

10 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Missed tackles doesn't seem to be something that concerned PFF in their tracking of him (FWIW)

Yeah, but they are looking at his college tape, which is fine. My concern is him translating that to the next level, where receivers and running backs are on average, bigger, stronger, faster, etc. 

• Like 1