Starting OL

Hunter2_1

In OTAs we are trying out different combinations on the OL. In walkthrough work, Trent Brown was LT & Isaiah Wynn LG. As usual, team will work linemen at multiple spots. 

Although we rotate the OL more than any other team, what do you expect/want the starting OL to be? 

I think it may be;

LT: Brown

LG: Wynn

C: Andrews

RG: Mason

RT: Cannon

Depth: Waddle, Karras, Thuney

PS: Croston, Tobin

Cut: Ulrik, Jelks, Bowanko, Ferentz

I'd prefer to see Wynn at LT right away, use Brown as the swing tackle, and Thuney remain at LG for now.

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I have a feeling that Wynn won't start. He will get a bunch of reps with starters in practice from as many positions as possible on the line, but I dont think he starts the season. 

Hot take. I like it.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I can't see past Light, Mankins, Neal and co.

That group gets overrated and looked at through rose colored glasses IMO. Light was solid but never really top 5 LT. Mankins had all the talent but often squandered it with bad technique and had a knack for racking up penalties. 

Nick Kaczur got better with time but I remember him being the scapegoat for a while. Certainly it would have been nice to have drafted Joe Staley with 31 the year they took Brandon Meriweather and traded out. Oh 2007 draft, how much better you should have been...

21 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

That group gets overrated and looked at through rose colored glasses IMO. Light was solid but never really top 5 LT. Mankins had all the talent but often squandered it with bad technique and had a knack for racking up penalties. 

Neal is the best OLer we've ever had, however, I wasn't rating it based on individuals, I thought it was our safest OL from memory. Not as athletic as this one, but not as porous during some games.

So Shaq is essentially gone now, right? He won’t see Martin’s contract even if he repeats 2017, but anywhere close is just out of the question. 

Think this pushes the likelihood it’ll be Wynn at guard and Brown/Cannon at tackle.

On 12/06/2018 at 9:13 PM, The Third Rider said:

Light was good but rated much higher then he should be mainly because of Brady’s godly foot work and pocket awareness.

I'd argue it's better now than it ever has been. Although that could be recency biased. He's AT LEAST the best in the league at it....hehe

On 12/06/2018 at 9:13 PM, The Third Rider said:

Mankins was really good but if there was ever such a thing as an unclutch offensive lineman he sure was it. Where is the love for Dan Koppen?

Yeah I liked Koppen. I kind of liked all that line apart from Gorin.

• 1 month later...

Archived