Which current long-term (5+ years) head coach will get fired first?

iknowcool

Head Coaches  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get fired first?

• Bill Belichick (2000)
    • Marvin Lewis (2003)
    • Mike McCarthy (2006)
    • Sean Payton (2006)
    • Mike Tomlin (2007)
    • John Harbaugh (2008)
    • Jason Garrett (2010)
    • Pete Carroll (2010)
    • Ron Rivera (2011)
    • Andy Reid (2013)

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Andy Reid: Same boat as McCarthy: one-and-done and you're done.

Why would the expectations be that strict with a first year starter at QB?

I feel like this is also really at odds with the fact that you say this about Ron Rivera:

Ron Rivera: Consistently getting Carolina into the playoffs and the players love him. He'll likely get another extension when his contract is up.

Which would perfectly describe Reid as well. Consistently getting KC into the playoffs and the players love him.

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm gonna call it now - Marvin Lewis gets fired this season if the Bengals don't make the playoffs AND win a playoff game.

Oh my sweet summer child... has history taught you nothing? Marvin won’t ever be fired. He will play out his contract and either get an extension or the team will move on. 

Ron Rivera is the only one out of the list. If the Panthers bottom out I can see the whole coaching staff being cleared out. The rest I see either retirement or not having their contracts renewed. 

5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

My guess is that Hue Jackson is the one who will be gone next year

the only problem with firing Hue Jackson is that apparently his contract is fully guaranteed, it would cost Jimmy too much and he has been shelling out millions to guys who are coaching against him.  

Yeah, Marvin Lewis is long overdue to be fired.

I actually think he would make a decent GM since I do think he is a good talent EVALUATOR, but I never liked him as a head coach.    And even if you do like him, you cant excuse the fact that he has been coaching for 15 years and hasnt won a single playoff game.   He's lucky he has even made it half as long as he has.    The fact he has lasted 15 years is a reflection of Mike Brown's incompetence. 

10 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I could see Mike Pettine wanting to go in a new direction with a coach of his own choosing.  

Why would the DC get a HC of his choosing? I would think Brian would get to pick the next HC.

12 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:
17 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm gonna call it now - Marvin Lewis gets fired this season if the Bengals don't make the playoffs AND win a playoff game.

Oh my sweet summer child... has history taught you nothing? Marvin won’t ever be fired. He will play out his contract and either get an extension or the team will move on. 

I'm pulling for you, brother. This is the year. A new Dawn is on its way...

19 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

How Lewis isn't gone already boggles my mind.

I voted Lewis because he should've been gone years ago but I somewhat doubt he'll actually be the first to be fired. Or fired at all. I used to joke about him having something on Mike Brown but now I'm wondering if that's actually the case.

John Harbaugh, if they have less than a playoff team, he could be gone easily especially now that Ozzie Newsome is stepping down and DeCosta may want to start fresh with his own guy. I personally think their whole fortune as a franchise is tied to Harbaugh and Flacco, they both could be gone in the offseason and they could start fresh with a new HC with their new QB.

Also, people stop saying Marvin Lewis, the Brown family loves this guy, they wont fire him even if they lose, he would step down before they fire him.

4 hours ago, aussie_eagle said:

Surely it is last chance saloon for Garrett in 2018

Garrett is my pick as well.  Bringing in Paul Alexander to coach the OL isn't ideal.  I don't see Jerry sticking with Garrett if the team goes 6-10 or 7-9 this season.

As for the people picking Marvin Lewis, as it's been stated he won't get "fired".  He'll just retire after this contract is done...

Archived