Which current long-term (5+ years) head coach will get fired first?

iknowcool

Head Coaches  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get fired first?

• Bill Belichick (2000)
    • Marvin Lewis (2003)
    • Mike McCarthy (2006)
    • Sean Payton (2006)
    • Mike Tomlin (2007)
    • John Harbaugh (2008)
    • Jason Garrett (2010)
    • Pete Carroll (2010)
    • Ron Rivera (2011)
    • Andy Reid (2013)

Belichick - He should'n't even be an option.

Lewis - At this point, I'm convinced that he is holding someone's dog hostage for ransom so he isn't going anywhere.

McCarthy - Possible, but unlikely. If the Packers don't lose Rodgers early in the season and they don't make the playoffs, then he's gone. At the very least, his seat is too hot to even sit on.

Payton - He is not going anywhere anytime soon. He has too much respect around the league, the organization and among players.

Tomlin - Not a chance.

Harbaugh - He is already on the hot-seat but winning cures everything in this league. That said, I personally don't expect much out of the Ravens this season either, so I would put Harbaugh closer to the "likely" than "unlikely" range. He is #3 on this list.

Garrett - He is, without a doubt, #1 on my list. While I think he is a much better coach than most people give him credit for. There comes a time when you run out excuses for a coach and Garrett has already reached that point this past season after the high expectations were not met. Given that he has only made the playoffs twice in tenure. This season is either make or break for him.

Carroll - He is #2 on my list. I personally think that he is reaching that Mike Martz, SHotty, Lovie Smith type of stage where their old concepts and philosophies are failing to keep up with the times at a high enough rate to even be effective anymore. We see it all the time with older but great coaches - where times just simply catch and surpass them and they can't keep up. I see the same thing happening with Carroll.

Rivera - Very unlikely. In some ways, he is similar to McCarthy but his seat just isn't as hot. 

Andy Reid - Not a chance. He belongs in that Belichick, Payton and Tomlin tier in terms of this discussion. Say what you want about his play-calling and failures in the playoffs but you cannot deny what the man has done in order to turn that organization around just like he did with Philly. Both league reps and players alike know how good he is as a coach and as a person. He is a rare find, much like the others I mentioned. He isn't going anywhere.

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

McCarthyPossible, but unlikely. If the Packers don't lose Rodgers early in the season and they don't make the playoffs, then he's gone. At the very least, his seat is too hot to even sit on.

Not possible. Zero chance of it happening in or after the 2018 season, no matter the outcome of Team 99's campaign. In addition to signing an extension with his preferred GM buddy Gutekunst, he also changed out OC, QB coach and Passing Game Coordinator as they refresh the playbook and make a run at another Lombardi.  The Packers also allowed him to run the DC search and hire his preferred choice in Mike Pettine.

That's the current reality in Titletown. You could put an ice cube on his seat and it wouldn't melt for days, it's literally a Frozen Tundra. :)

Archived