LeeEvans

Just now, texans_uk said:

Can't wait for the 48 team world cup.

Syria

Uzbekistan

UAE

All to be added.

Brilliant.

I'd love it. Why not let everyone in? Just start with 64 teams and do two rounds of group stages instead of all the extra qualifying games.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd love it. Why not let everyone in? Just start with 64 teams and do two rounds of group stages instead of all the extra qualifying games.

That's an absolutely dreadful idea.

Why not just let everyone in and make it a 6 month tournament. Really kill it.

1 minute ago, DaveDX said:

My first, second, and third favorite teams didn’t make it, and I say good. It’ll make them have to improve. 

What I find truly bonkers is hosts qualify automatically no matter how terrible they are, but reigning champions have to qualify ?

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

That's an absolutely dreadful idea.

Why not just left everyone in and make it a 6 month tournament. Really kill it.

An additional group stage would only take like 10 days, and the good teams would be able to put in their backups/prospects for some playing time. Not any different than playing friendlies/qualifying matches leading up to it. 

The first round might be boring, but at least the smaller countries would have a few games to cheer for (which would promote the sport in the country), the large teams get to play young players, and there wouldn't be a chance of teams like Netherlands, Italy, USA, Chile and Ghana being left out. More chances for Cinderella stories. 

Just now, Heimdallr said:

and the good teams would be able to put in their backups/prospects for some playing time

I nominate this for worst idea ever thought up in the history of mankind.

Let's expand the world cup so good teams can give their squad players a run out, kind of like how top teams treat the League Cup.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

and there wouldn't be a chance of teams like Netherlands, Italy, USA, Chile and Ghana being left out

This might be an even worse statement. First of all, USA shouldn't be in that sentence if we are taking footballing history. Second, GOOD that they missed out, be better! Those sides didn't qualify because they weren't good enough, end of, they had the games to qualify and they didn't make it. Tough.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

I nominate this for worst idea ever thought up in the history of mankind.

Let's expand the world cup so good teams can give their squad players a run out, kind of like how top teams treat the League Cup.

This might be an even worse statement. First of all, USA shouldn't be in that sentence if we are taking footballing history. Second, GOOD that they missed out, be better! Those sides didn't qualify because they weren't good enough, end of, they had the games to qualify and they didn't make it. Tough.

I guess I just don't see the reason for it to be a really exclusive event that only the top teams get to participate in. I'd rather see a truly World Cup. Let everyone come together and celebrate. It is the one event in the world that brings the entire world together, probably more than the Olympics. 

We already have the Champions League for a hardcore elite tournament.

Archived