2018 FIFA World Cup Group A & Group B

LeeEvans

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@LeeEvans You're right about Isco then. What a performance, he is so good.

Haha. He really offers something to the side that they don't have without him. He has this directness that seems to translate with the whole team, they've gotten away from pointless possession and I think he's a large reason why. 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Haha. He really offers something to the side that they don't have without him. He has this directness that seems to translate with the whole team, they've gotten away from pointless possession and I think he's a large reason why. 

Just oozes class. Baffles everyone that comes near him.

I thought he was the best player on the pitch, despite Ronnies hattrick (Penalty and goal keeper error....hehe)

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Just oozes class. Baffles everyone that comes near him.

I thought he was the best player on the pitch, despite Ronnies hattrick (Penalty and goal keeper error....hehe)

I'd agree with you. Around the 85th minute he took a ball off a Portuguese corner and dribbled his way to about midway into the Portugal half and was fouled twice along the way which was just pure talent. 

I find it kinda funny that in a team with Iniesta and Silva he is the one who the team flows through, he is always hovering around the ball. 

Just now, dotmotion said:

What an immense game. It has really been a great start to the World Cup (didn't catch the Uruguay game). Ronaldo just proving again he is one of the best of all time. That last goal was so clutch. 

Uruguay v Egypt was much better than Morocco v Iran. I agree it's been very good, much better than 2010. 

4 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Meh. This really turned it up a notch.

I think for a WC it's been entertaining. I thought Uruguay v Egypt was a pretty good game and the last 20 minutes was very enjoyable. The first of Morocco v Iran had a really good balance and then the second half went to go. Russia's match was a slaughter but at least there were goals. 

Sacking Lopetegui was pretty dumb, but hopefully the team has moved past that.

Gutted to not get all 3 points. So that's how other teams feel when Ronnie does that? We need goals and lots of em to win this group (hot take alert)

Tactically, what I noticed was Spain need to find somebody who can sit beside Busquets now. He was never mobile in his career, but he was badly exposed on the counter tonight. Thiago would have helped, from the start. They don't have anyone who can break up those counters. Ramos was always too far upfield, so was a full back - so it was left to Pique, the other fullback and one or two others desperately trying to claw back

Portugal, as ever, tight in a 4-4-2/4-5-1 in defence - harrying selected ball carriers in possession (Iniesta and Silva got special special attention). 

Spain probably would have benefited including Costa more. Interesting that both his goals came from 1 lump upfield, and 1 set piece move. 

Wanted to Spain to win so it's frustrating, as they were clearly dominant in possession. Portgual got properly annoyed at times, but they were much better than previous encounters. Clearly had a plan and stuck to it. Nice penalty and FK buying from the master. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

Hes been incredible at Celta. His Liverpool adventure was a complete failure but hes arguably the best Spanish forward and I think he really fits the Spanish side and the way they play. 

I think that, if he's ok with less playing time in search of trophies, Lopetegui will target him this summer

Archived