2018 FIFA World Cup Group A & Group B

LeeEvans

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Tactically, what I noticed was Spain need to find somebody who can sit beside Busquets now. He was never mobile in his career, but he was badly exposed on the counter tonight. Thiago would have helped, from the start. They don't have anyone who can break up those counters. Ramos was always too far upfield, so was a full back - so it was left to Pique, the other fullback and one or two others desperately trying to claw back

Portugal, as ever, tight in a 4-4-2/4-5-1 in defence - harrying selected ball carriers in possession (Iniesta and Silva got special special attention). 

Spain probably would have benefited including Costa more. Interesting that both his goals came from 1 lump upfield, and 1 set piece move. 

Wanted to Spain to win so it's frustrating, as they were clearly dominant in possession. Portgual got properly annoyed at times, but they were much better than previous encounters. Clearly had a plan and stuck to it. Nice penalty and FK buying from the master. 

Actually thought that was Costa's best performance for Spain and I mean that without the goals. Usually hes more isolated and ignored. Seems like he's more effective with the channels to work in and no fullback to worry about and in Spain's style he struggles to get involved. 

Agreed that Spain should have won but Portgual did brilliantly and they were much more positive when compared to Euro 2016. 

Still think Spain win the group but Portugal beating Uruguay is far from out of the question. 

5 minutes ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

I think that, if he's ok with less playing time in search of trophies, Lopetegui will target him this summer

That would be interesting. I think that would be a pretty decent move for both sides. I dont think he'd be any worse than Benzema to be honest. He can score and link up play just about as well.

Why did it show them both playing as 4-2-3-1? Didn't seem like that in the game. 

I honestly think given Portugal's circumstances, they exceed expectations vs the paper evaluation every time. Full of players that had/have potential that didn't reach their potential or still needs time. The ones that they have that are good are now older than dirt.

Given just how loaded the whole Spain team is, I think for a team so reliant on Ronaldo, an ancient Pepe, and a mediocre Patricio, they did great. Shortly after Spain's 3rd goal, Andre Silva should have been inserted immediately. They should rest Pepe against Iran. He looks toast.

43 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Why did it show them both playing as 4-2-3-1? Didn't seem like that in the game. 

I honestly think given Portugal's circumstances, they exceed expectations vs the paper evaluation every time. Full of players that had/have potential that didn't reach their potential or still needs time. The ones that they have that are good are now older than dirt.

Given just how loaded the whole Spain team is, I think for a team so reliant on Ronaldo, an ancient Pepe, and a mediocre Patricio, they did great. Shortly after Spain's 3rd goal, Andre Silva should have been inserted immediately. They should rest Pepe against Iran. He looks toast.

I have no idea why they listed the formations like that. Generally, I'd say the pregame stuff always gets it wrong. Spain in particularly dont really conform to any general formation. There is a lot of movement and interchanging.

I definitely wouldn't call Patricio mediocre at all, I think hes a very quality keeper in my opinion. Portugal will absolutely be the happier the the sides. 

Just finished watching the game on replay (it started at 4am here).

Not sure there's much to say that hasn't been said already.  It was a brilliant, enthralling game.  All in all, a draw was probably a fair result.

Ronaldo was great, even if one of his goals was entirely down to keeper error. Isco was probably Spain's best. 

Diego Costa had a good game when he could get involved, but as @LeeEvans said, Spain's system doesn't really fit his style of play.

Spain will need to work on their defending if they want to win the WC.  Ramos and Alba are prone to wander forward a lot, Busquets isn't as mobile as he used to be and an attacking midfield consisting of David Silva, Iniesta and Isco lacks much defensive ability.

I thought the ref got the decisions right for Ronaldo's penalty and Costa's first goal.  While CR7 did play for the foul a bit, there was a leg stuck out and contact made, and Pepe's flop wasn't worth drawing a foul against Costa.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Tactically, what I noticed was Spain need to find somebody who can sit beside Busquets now. He was never mobile in his career, but he was badly exposed on the counter tonight. Thiago would have helped, from the start. They don't have anyone who can break up those counters. Ramos was always too far upfield, so was a full back - so it was left to Pique, the other fullback and one or two others desperately trying to claw back

That's what Koke was in the side for, but the problem is that that isn't really his strength hence why Simeone doesn't play him in central midfield for Atleti much.  But he's a hell of a lot better at it than Thiago would be.  Saul might be the better option of the central midfielders to provide defensive cover

6 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Just finished watching the game on replay (it started at 4am here).

Not sure there's much to say that hasn't been said already.  It was a brilliant, enthralling game.  All in all, a draw was probably a fair result.

Ronaldo was great, even if one of his goals was entirely down to keeper error. Isco was probably Spain's best. 

Diego Costa had a good game when he could get involved, but as @LeeEvans said, Spain's system doesn't really fit his style of play.

Spain will need to work on their defending if they want to win the WC.  Ramos and Alba are prone to wander forward a lot, Busquets isn't as mobile as he used to be and an attacking midfield consisting of David Silva, Iniesta and Isco lacks much defensive ability.

I thought the ref got the decisions right for Ronaldo's penalty and Costa's first goal.  While CR7 did play for the foul a bit, there was a leg stuck out and contact made, and Pepe's flop wasn't worth drawing a foul against Costa.

Pretty much agree although I could see the penalty either way. I'm very intrigued to see Spain the rest of the way, this was the most "un-Spanish" performance I've seen since Euro-2008. It was direct, incisive and attacking. I have no idea if it was down to the change in manager, the game itself or any other number of reasons but it was extremely unusual for both sides in my opinion.

9 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Yeah it's only really Busquets who stays roughly where you'd expect him to be. The front 5 or so are incredibly fluid. Isco, in particular, was moving everywhere vertically and horizontally. Even Costa, the theoretical point man, was dropping into the mid. 

For the Nacho goal, Silva starts on the right of the penalty box, then moves over to the left, goes vertically up and down a bit, receives the ball around the left of the penalty box, then puts the ball across - that's the player who's down as the "right wing" on TV's formation.

Archived