2018 FIFA World Cup Group A & Group B

LeeEvans

Just now, The Hitch said:

Wow portugal are so stupid. They are celebrating this. Good luck beating Uruguay Brazil Germany France Belgium lol

Really? I didn't see any celebrating, they still looked furious about the penalty decision. 

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Got the Spain decision right. Still haven't seen Iran's yet. 

Unbelievable decision to overturn it. 

It was never a penalty and it’s literally cost Portugal a decent draw.

The ref is lucky that Iran missed that chance at the end.

1 minute ago, Buc Ball said:

Unbelievable decision to overturn it. 

It was never a penalty and it’s literally cost Portugal a decent draw.

The ref is lucky that Iran missed that chance at the end.

I think he did us a favor so we don't have to watch Portugal ****house their way to the final somehow. 

Still haven't actually seen the penalty decision haha. 

I am watching the penalty decision right now. It might be a penalty, but it doesn't meet the requirement of clear and obvious, it's more murky and convoluted.

I think it's a because the arm was coming up when it hit the ball, so it was flailing out there a ways, even if it was part of him jumping, it was a little bit all over the place.

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I think he did us a favor so we don't have to watch Portugal ****house their way to the final somehow. 

Still haven't actually seen the penalty decision haha. 

Nah, seriously though, that’s a tournament altering decision. The exact thing that VAR is designed to prevent.

I have no idea how someone refereeing a World Cup game can decide that that’s a penalty.

2 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Nah, seriously though, that’s a tournament altering decision. The exact thing that VAR is designed to prevent.

I have no idea how someone refereeing a World Cup game can decide that that’s a penalty.

Finally saw it. Basically the exact same as the call against Denmark where it's come down on an outstretched hand while jumping for a header. I don't think it's a penalty because it's not intentional and close enough that he can't do much about it. I think it's even harsher since it does nothing to stop an opportunity. 

That being said, I don't think it's a completely insane call and feel like I've seen that plenty of times. It seems FIFA has still not managed to get everyone on the same page in terms with handballs and Soares' hand is very far from out from his body. I still wouldn't give it and the most surprising thing to me is that two referees agreed that it was a penalty. It's a big call and the wrong decision but I don't think it's completely egregious. 

4 minutes ago, The Hitch said:

I've never been in favour of punishing Refs as real time errors are natural. 

But an example needs to be made of this guy. Wrong decision from var . Last minute. Changes the tournament entirely. 

I think the video referee needs to be looked at for sure but the head referee still makes the final call. If you're going to punish this guy than you need to punish the guy from the Peru v Denmark match as well because that is basically the same decision. 

13 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Finally saw it. Basically the exact same as the call against Denmark where it's come down on an outstretched hand while jumping for a header. I don't think it's a penalty because it's not intentional and close enough that he can't do much about it. I think it's even harsher since it does nothing to stop an opportunity. 

That being said, I don't think it's a completely insane call and feel like I've seen that plenty of times. It seems FIFA has still not managed to get everyone on the same page in terms with handballs and Soares' hand is very far from out from his body. I still wouldn't give it and the most surprising thing to me is that two referees agreed that it was a penalty. It's a big call and the wrong decision but I don't think it's completely egregious. 

I’ve literally never seen one of them given tbh. It’s an inexplicably bad decision.

The ref is very very fortunate that it didn’t lead to Portugal being knocked out.

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Two big differences to me. Here the arm was up and the ball was going on net. In the Portugal game it was out and not going on net instead going into the ground.

The first is the most important to me because everyone's hands go out when they jump. Very few actually have the arm go up.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Two big differences to me. Here the arm was up and the ball was going on net. In the Portugal game it was out and not going on net instead going into the ground.

The first is the most important to me because everyone's hands go out when they jump. Very few actually have the arm go up.

I think the fact it stopped a potential goal scoring opportunity is absolutely a big difference. Other than that I think it's a similar sort of of extension and completely accidental, again, I would have never awarded the penalty to Iran just that I think these situations are pretty similar. 

4 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

I’ve literally never seen one of them given tbh. It’s an inexplicably bad decision.

The ref is very very fortunate that it didn’t lead to Portugal being knocked out.

I think it did lead to them being knocked out. Uruguay are way better than Russia. 

3 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Really? I've definitely seen a penalty given for hitting an extended arm, as I said a similar call happened in Australia v Denmark. This is absolutely the wrong decision and shows a complete misunderstanding of the handball rule but it's something I've seen before. 

Archived