Most important GB Defensive player for 2018 season

squire12

Most important GB defensive player for 2018 season  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which GB Packer defensive player will be the most important for the 2018 season

• Mike Daniels
    • Kenny Clark
    • Mo Wilkerson
    • Nick Perry
    • Clay Matthews
    • HaHa Clinton-Dix
    • Kevin King
    • Blake Martinez
    • Tramon Williams
    • OTHER

1 hour ago, ArthurPensky said:

I think going into this year the #1 corner is planned to be Tramon.

I'd surmise that its Kevin King on the #1 WR and Tramon on the # 2, with Alexander in the slot.

Tramon vs the NFL's top WRs isn't the match-up you want.

There are many answers. 

1 The guy you think will be the best player.
2 The guy who makes the most splash plays (may be the same as 1)
3 The guy you think improves the most.
4 The guy that you least want to lose
5 The guy whose loss means the biggest dropoff in talent to the next guy (which might be the same as 4)
6 Your favourite player
7 From a financial standpoint you could even say the guy that earns the most..........or the guy who outperforms his price-point by the largest margin.

Bottom line, all are right, none are right, whatever, it's how the unit performs that is key, one machine, many parts.

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I'd surmise that its Kevin King on the #1 WR and Tramon on the # 2, with Alexander in the slot.

Tramon vs the NFL's top WRs isn't the match-up you want.

I remember the last season Tramon was with us and thinking man, he’s just not fast enough to keep up anymore... that was three? Years ago. I hope he’s not the #1

On 6/7/2018 at 12:13 PM, pacman5252 said:

no love for Tramon

He's an important piece but I don't think we need to depend on him the most. Gotta hand it to him though, he's received a lot of praise this offseason since coming back in the locker room.

I don't think it will be so much player oriented as match up oriented. Obviously then it could be anyone at anytime, and I think that is something this defense has been lacking a long time. I did choose Clark because he is the young beast on what I think our strong point is (DL). Its all about the line of scrimmage, after that match ups. Hopefully we finally play to our strengths vs their weaknesses instead of a scheme and hope it sticks. I have some optimism for this defense, and can't wait to see how it functions as a collective. 

On 6/8/2018 at 2:43 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

There are many answers. 

1 The guy you think will be the best player.
2 The guy who makes the most splash plays (may be the same as 1)
3 The guy you think improves the most.
4 The guy that you least want to lose
5 The guy whose loss means the biggest dropoff in talent to the next guy (which might be the same as 3)
6 Your favourite player
7 From a financial standpoint you could even say the guy that earns the most..........or the guy who outperforms his price-point by the largest margin.

Bottom line, all are right, none are right, whatever, it's how the unit performs that is key, one machine, many parts.

I think that was sort of the point I was trying to make with the #3 OLB. I think the talent in the 11 we start is going to be really good. I think we have adequate back up players everywhere but OLB. Matthews and Perry have a history of getting nicked up. That #3 OLB cannot become a major drop off. 

We're 4-5 deep at CB: King, Alexander. Williams, Jackson and House

We got 3 pretty decent safeties: Dix, Jones, Brice

We've got 3 ILB who can contribute: Martinez, Ryan, Burks (Matthews and Fackrell can slide inside) I think ILB is Frackrell's shot.

We go 5 deep on the defensive line: Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Lowry, Adams

Speaking of important defenders....

Other than Blake Martinez - who can wear a green dot helmet and communicate with the sidelines ?

HaHa had it at some point, and struggled. Burnett got everybody lined up, but not sure if he wore the green dot

Not sure if Clay has ever worn it ? Who else is a candidate for that role other than Martinez ?

48 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Other than Blake Martinez - who can wear a green dot helmet and communicate with the sidelines ?

HaHa had it at some point, and struggled. Burnett got everybody lined up, but not sure if he wore the green dot

Not sure if Clay has ever worn it ? Who else is a candidate for that role other than Martinez ?

Martinez is the obv no. 1. I'd put Tramon second. Already knows Pettine's defense and will be a leader in the secondary.

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Martinez is the obv no. 1. I'd put Tramon second. Already knows Pettine's defense and will be a leader in the secondary.

Tramon ain't wearing the dot. 

Why would you want one of your players closest to (either) sideline wearing the headset? 

There's a reason it's almost always a LB or S. 

12 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Tramon ain't wearing the dot. 

Why would you want one of your players closest to (either) sideline wearing the headset? 

There's a reason it's almost always a LB or S. 

Haha (99%) and Martinez (93%) were also the only defensive players last year to play more than 70% of the defensive snaps. Josh Jones should be up there this season but I don't want him wearing the dot until he can prove that he can wrap his head around the game.

in that Pettine interview, he says he used to take 50, 60, 70 plays into a game, but now its more like 25 or 30  ( paraphrasing)

If that's the case, then maybe its a little easier to be the green dot dude ? 

Martinez played 93 % of the defensive snaps in 2017, second only to HaHa 

Packers have to have another guy in case he "breaks a chinstrap" and because there might be some packages where you don't have him on the field

5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I think it would be Ryan as he'd be in a lot more snaps if Martinez went down. Which of course we all hope doesn't happen. 

On 6/8/2018 at 9:02 PM, Gopackgonerd said:

He's an important piece but I don't think we need to depend on him the most. Gotta hand it to him though, he's received a lot of praise this offseason since coming back in the locker room.

I know, I was joking that he had no votes

Archived