Most important GB Defensive player for 2018 season

squire12

Most important GB defensive player for 2018 season  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which GB Packer defensive player will be the most important for the 2018 season

• Mike Daniels
    • Kenny Clark
    • Mo Wilkerson
    • Nick Perry
    • Clay Matthews
    • HaHa Clinton-Dix
    • Kevin King
    • Blake Martinez
    • Tramon Williams
    • OTHER

45 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is a hard question!

My gut instinct was Perry, but our #1 CB (whoever that is) has a strong argument too.

I think many here are looking at what is commonly seen as so important in the league, the edge rush, and choosing Perry and Clay. I can't fault that because an edge rush is so important, but I think some are doing so  without looking at what Pettine has been on record saying ( emphasizing interior pass rush as well as edge and good secondary play) and what his defenses have historically been like. The guy hasn't had much of a dominate edge rush, and in some years without Revis he didn't' have a great secondary either.

Voted King. If he turns out to be a good corner that makes the  rest of the roster full of aging veterans and talented rookies that much better. We will live and die by how our secondary plays. If they play well Packers could very well have a top 10 defense with that D line. If they don't wouldn't surprise me if we didn't crack the top 20. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's open for interpretation too.

You could take it as "who needs to play the best" or "who can we least afford to lose to injury." That might give you two different answers.

I always look at this question from the perspective of: who can we least afford to have a bad season?  Usually that is a position that has little depth or a guy with a unique skill that we cannot replicate in some way, whether that is with another player or multiple.  I think that guy is Kenny Clark.  If he has a bad season, I think this defense will have a bad season.  But I am biased toward the NT position.

I went with other because I didn't want it to only be King. It could be King/Alexander/Jackson or any other young corner if they can be an above average starter. I have faith in Tramon so if one or two of the young guys can be that the defense will be in really good shape. I think Clay/Perry will be fine either way if they stay healthy and the corners can really only help their production. 

I think this is the sum of the parts is better than any individual. I think we all expect good things out of these players: Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Matthews, Perry, Martinez, King, and Dix. That is 8 of the 11 starters. A couple of them need to play near an all-pro level. A couple more need to be close to pro-bowl. The other 4 have to be plus starters. We have plenty of pieces around that who should be improvements over what we had last year. Given that I don't see losing Matthews for a few weeks, which seems to happen every year, is going to be as big a deal. I think we have a lot more really good defensive players. 

I think the most important player is the guy who steps up and becomes the 3rd OLB. That person must be solid. I'm not sure who that is at this point however. 

Voted Clay given his and Perry's yearly health issues and lack of quality NFL caliber talent behind them.  IMO If one or starters goes down it's going to be a massive blow to our defense.  I'm not of the believe that just because we've got Mike Pettine, we can start any warm body out there and still get adequate pressure.  CM3 and Nick Perry need to stay on the field.

I put other, because this is the time of year that I spend a lot of time on game pass watching games from last year just to pass the time.

Watching the "coaches film", I am amazed how often we were playing essentially 9 on 11 because of the way we lined up and then did or did not do after the snap.  Things like having the safety 18 or 20 yds deep and then having their first move be backwards when the down and distance didn't call for that, or having defensive backs stay with empty zones when there is no possible threat instead of "looking for work" as LeRoy Butler would say.

Defense is about team play- and we just need guys to do their job.

So I say it isn't a player- it's Pettine- he needs to get these guys into a mindset such that they know their job, and they do that job, and have the correct defensive call so the defense is successful when they do their job.

I went with King, easily could be Alexander though. We desparately need to shrink the field, a cover guy who can get the ball going our direction would make everyone else more effective. Primary reads can't be allowed to be open out of the gate. Allows the rush to get home while letting guys like hhcd jump some underneath routes. Maybe I just reaaally want a dynamic CB again..

Archived