With the benefit of hindsight, what would you have done differently in the 2018 draft?

Crickett

Fairly straightforward question: With the benefit of hindsight, if you were in charge of your team's NFL draft. who would you have selected and would you have declined the draft day trades your team did in reality?  

The one caveat I will mention is if you undo trades (particularly trading up), it's possible the player selected where your original pick is not there.  The example I would give is: If you're a Bills fan and you stay at #12 instead of trading up to #7, Vita Vea is likely not going to be there at #12. 

Not enough hindsight. Ask this about a week into training camp.

As far as my team(s), everyone showed up at expected size and movement, and that is all you can hope for with rookies right now. I have a broken foot and a groin from OTA's, but that should not change  your draft decision.

For DEN, as much as I like Chubb, I would have not paid up for Keenum, and gone with Josh Rosen at 1.5.    Saved a ton of $ cap-wise, and our QBOTF in the bag.   And I'm worried that Rosen might not be much of a short-term dropoff from Keenum to begin with.

For Rds 5-6, I would have stood pat, and taken T/G Tyrell Crosby and NT Tim Settle, instead of trading back both our Rd5 picks to get 4 guys later on.    

Those 2 are the big ones.   More of my personal preference for 2.40 would have been to go with either CB Isiaih Oliver or TE Dallas Goedert,  and then go 3.71 WR Michael Gallup, instead of WR Courtland Sutton & RB Royce Freeman.  That domino effect meant we would have taken BPA RB at 3.99, which in my board was John Kelly (although if some said Mark Walton, no objection), instead of CB Isaac Yiadom at 3.99.  

No change to Rd4, it was excellent.

It was probably our best overall draft since the 2011-12 era, partly because we picked so early.   I don't have a problem with Chubb 1.5 and 2.40 Sutton in a vacuum, but I did think we had more value chances the way the draft board said (and to be clear, every move I said at the time we drafted, before the draft picks were known later).   I've already posted this in our DEN forum (we have an annual "Be the GM" draft game), so we'll see how that goes.

My biggest issue with the Steelers draft is that they built to win AFTER Ben moreso than they did to "Win now", which is what they needed to do.

Before the draft, I remember claiming I would rather reach on a position OF NEED rather than take a RB like Michel or Guice....and I stand by that.   My problem is that Edmunds wasnt even remotely close to the best safety, and is yet another athletic safety who has limited cover skills.....which isnt really what we needed IMO.     

Most Steeler fans didnt like our draft, but we all have different ideas of what couldve been done better.    

Personally, I wouldve preferred to see us trade down, pick up a combo of pass rusher, ILB, and secondary.    And I didnt have an issue with trading Bryamt, but I wouldve preferred to see us trade him for another player or a future pick, rather than a 3rd rounder to be used on a backup QB who may not see the field much during his rookie contract. 

For the Browns:

1:1-Sam Darnold: I can't verbalize how much I hated the Mayfield pick. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

1:4-Denzel Ward: I actually loved this pick. They have Garrett/Ogbah already at DE and desperately needed a CB. They got the top ranked prospect in the entire draft. They may have "reached" on him at a few spots higher than some, but I'd rather get my guy at #4 than get cute, trade back to 7-8 (you'd need a buyer anyway), and risk him being there.

2:33- I was hoping for Harold Landry. If Corbett pans out at LT, he'll be the better pick though.

2:35- I wanted Guice as a RB, but I also love Nick Chubb more than most, so I was fine with this pick

2:64- I would have taken either Sam Hubbard or Jerome Baker. I didn't like the interior pass rushing DL from Miami. He's a prototype athlete with limited on field production. Hopefully he figures it out.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:50 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

My biggest issue with the Steelers draft is that they built to win AFTER Ben moreso than they did to "Win now", which is what they needed to do.

Before the draft, I remember claiming I would rather reach on a position OF NEED rather than take a RB like Michel or Guice....and I stand by that.   My problem is that Edmunds wasnt even remotely close to the best safety, and is yet another athletic safety who has limited cover skills.....which isnt really what we needed IMO.     

Most Steeler fans didnt like our draft, but we all have different ideas of what couldve been done better.    

Personally, I wouldve preferred to see us trade down, pick up a combo of pass rusher, ILB, and secondary.    And I didnt have an issue with trading Bryamt, but I wouldve preferred to see us trade him for another player or a future pick, rather than a 3rd rounder to be used on a backup QB who may not see the field much during his rookie contract. 

Yea I didn’t like your draft and was shocked you didn’t go for immediate return 

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea I didn’t like your draft and was shocked you didn’t go for immediate return 

In fairness, I wasn't a fan of this draft in general in terms of immediate return. What annoyed me was that they didn't even seem to try for that immediate return.

I would trade Foles to Browns for #33 if that was really on the table. Or better yet, trade Foles for a 2020 1st round pick- and eventually use that pick on Travis Etienne or Jonathan Taylor or one of the other awesome 2020 class rb's)

2 (33 - From Foles trade) Darius Leonard LB (We did not do this. I would have- Or not, depending on what Foles realistically nets in trade)

2 (49) Dallas Goedert TE (No Change)

4 (125) Andrew Brown DT (We took Avonte maddox CB)

4 (130) Siran Neal CB/S or Daurice Fountain WR (We took Josh Sweat DE)

6 (206) Ade Aruna DE (We took Matt Pryor OT)

7 (233) Holton Hill CB (We took Jordan Mailata OT)

UDFA Desmond Harrison OT (We did not sign him. I would have.)

UDFA Chase Litton QB (We did not sign him. I would have.)

We actually do this every year in the 49er forum. It's called "Are you Smarter than an NFL GM". We started it about 4/5 years ago. After three years, we bring it back up and evaluate how each of us did in our "hindsight" draft. It's a really fun game. I would recommend it to all the team forums. 

Archived