With the benefit of hindsight, what would you have done differently in the 2018 draft?

Crickett

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

How did you do Forge ? Are you smarter than a 5th grader NFL GM ?

Meh. My older drafts aren't so great in hindsight. When it first started, a lot of us agreed with a lot of the picks the 49ers made, so there weren't a ton of changes made. In more recent years, a lot of us have diverged considerably from what the 49ers have done. I think next year will be the first year where we really see that change over. In some cases, it's good. I would have stayed put a couple of years ago and drafted Marcus Peters rather than trading down and getting Armstead, but another year I would have passed on Buckner for Tunsil, and that's looking like a bad call. My more recent drafts are slightly better looking overall - some steals such as Jordan Howard in the middle rounds, things like that. 

On 6/13/2018 at 1:50 PM, Forge said:

Meh. My older drafts aren't so great in hindsight. When it first started, a lot of us agreed with a lot of the picks the 49ers made, so there weren't a ton of changes made. In more recent years, a lot of us have diverged considerably from what the 49ers have done. I think next year will be the first year where we really see that change over. In some cases, it's good. I would have stayed put a couple of years ago and drafted Marcus Peters rather than trading down and getting Armstead, but another year I would have passed on Buckner for Tunsil, and that's looking like a bad call. My more recent drafts are slightly better looking overall - some steals such as Jordan Howard in the middle rounds, things like that. 

Would love to see the results if you have links 

19 minutes ago, Scout said:

Would love to see the results if you have links 

They are at the bottom of the page. They actually go back as far as 2011, however pre 2015, I believe, they were based on people's mocks prior to the draft, so obviously the drafts played out differently. We killed some of the ffmd drafts in hindsight lol.

LIS before, highly recommended for all team forums. Really fun to keep them then go back and look. We also add different wrinkles (trade adjustments) , and this year @y2lamanaki actually did a live one during the draft (I couldn't participate since I had to be in here minding you hooligans, but looked like a good amount of fun).

For the Titans? Nothing really. I wasn’t a huge fan of Evans but it was a need and fits Dean Pees defense to a “T”. We got who I wanted in the 1st round in the 2nd round with Landry. With only 2 other picks, we added depth so I’m completely happy with the Titans draft which isn’t always the case but Robinson has shown he knows how to work a draft.

• 3 weeks later...

For the Bucs , I knowing now that winston screwed the organization in a pivotal year. 

I would have stayed at 7 and took rosen. And tried dumping winston for a day two pick. 

The bucs get a smart and accurate qb of the future who has the floor of a matt Ryan and ceiling of an Aaron Rodgers. 

On 7/7/2018 at 5:54 PM, REDandPEWTER said:

For the Bucs , I knowing now that winston screwed the organization in a pivotal year. 

I would have stayed at 7 and took rosen. And tried dumping winston for a day two pick. 

The bucs get a smart and accurate qb of the future who has the floor of a matt Ryan and ceiling of an Aaron Rodgers. 

If Rosens floor is a top 5 QB in the nfl that is a MVP caliber player and 4th best SB rating ever then by god he is a fricken stud 1000% guaranteed going forward.  

Now as far as the 1 change i would have made it would have been not taking Ito Smith in the 4th round and instead taking Maurice Hurst , R.J. Mcintosh, Tim Settle, or Foley Fatukasi at DT.

Almost guaranteed went with Hurst at this point even with his possibly injury problems as for a late 4th it's well worth the upside chance at a position we needed help at.

Grady Jarrett, Deadrin Senat, Maurice Hurst, and Terell McClain looks like a good DT group to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Where we took PJ Hall, although I like doubling up, I would have taken Derrius Guice or Isaiah Oliver.

Where we took Brandon Parker, I would have taken Malik Jefferson.

I'd stand pat on Kolton Miller. He was a reach, but we need a right tackle and he has very good athletic upside, even if his technique is a ways off.

• 2 weeks later...

Rams:

3rd - Noteboom - Keep him

4th - Brian Allen - Replace with John Franklin-Myers

4th - John Franklin-Myers - Replace with Shaquem Griffin

5th - Micah Kiser - Replace with Tim Settle

5th - Obo Okoronkwo - Keep him

6th - John Kelley - Keep him

6th - Jamil Demby - Keep him

6th - Sebastian Joseph - Replace with Jack Cichy

6th - Trevon Young - Replace with Colby Gossett

7th - Travin Howard - Replace with Logan Woodside

7th - Justin Lawler - Replace with Jeff Holland

UDFA - Sign Tony Adams

This is what I'd do with the benefit of hindsight.

What I'd do for the Patriots:

1st: Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia - I'd stick with it. 

1st: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia - I'd stick with this one too. I think Michel can be a stud.

2nd: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida -> Lorenzo Carter, LB, Georgia - Three picks, three Georgia players? I'd have done this. I think Dawson will be okay but nothing special, whereas the Giants got a steal IMO with Carter. Carter's an athletic WLB, which the Patriots could use.

5th: Ja'Whaun Bentley, LB, Purdue - I'd stick with this one. Bentley looks great so far.

5th: Christian Sam, LB, Arizona State -> Luke Falk, QB, Washington State - Some people thought Falk was a third-round pick, and he fell to the sixth. If I'm the Patriots in round five here, I take a shot with Falk because at this point he has easily the highest ceiling of any remaining quarterback.

6th: Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami - I'd keep this one. The Patriots' receiver group has suffered a lot of injuries, and Berrios is a high-upside option.

7th: Danny Etling, QB, LSU -> Javon Wims, WR, Georgia - Another Georgia guy. I'd double-up at WR here because of the injuries. Wims showed some flashes in the HOF game and was okay in college.

7th: Keion Crossen, CB, Western Carolina - I'd keep this one. Crossen has shown a lot as a great athlete for the position.

7th: Ryan Izzo, TE, Florida State -> Holton Hill, CB, Texas - Double up at CB? I would. Hill went undrafted for character issues despite being, IMO, a pretty good college cornerback. He's a high-potential guy, and between him, Crossen, and Patriots UDFA J.C. Jackson, one of them is bound to work out.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:50 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

My biggest issue with the Steelers draft is that they built to win AFTER Ben moreso than they did to "Win now", which is what they needed to do.

Before the draft, I remember claiming I would rather reach on a position OF NEED rather than take a RB like Michel or Guice....and I stand by that.   My problem is that Edmunds wasnt even remotely close to the best safety, and is yet another athletic safety who has limited cover skills.....which isnt really what we needed IMO.     

Most Steeler fans didnt like our draft, but we all have different ideas of what couldve been done better.    

Personally, I wouldve preferred to see us trade down, pick up a combo of pass rusher, ILB, and secondary.    And I didnt have an issue with trading Bryamt, but I wouldve preferred to see us trade him for another player or a future pick, rather than a 3rd rounder to be used on a backup QB who may not see the field much during his rookie contract. 

I counter with with how many rookies will help you win now?  Especially drafting in the late 20's.

FA are to help win now.  The draft is always about the future ( unless you are drafting in the top 10 every year).  The Steelers safety play was horrible last season.  They signed Burrnett and drafted Edmunds.  They signed Bostic for ILB.  Any rookie drafted past the 3rd round has very limited immediate return.

Archived