With the benefit of hindsight, what would you have done differently in the 2018 draft?

Crickett

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

I counter with with how many rookies will help you win now?  Especially drafting in the late 20's.

FA are to help win now.  The draft is always about the future ( unless you are drafting in the top 10 every year).  The Steelers safety play was horrible last season.  They signed Burrnett and drafted Edmunds.  They signed Bostic for ILB.  Any rookie drafted past the 3rd round has very limited immediate return.

Most rookies may not give you an immediate return, but some have a better chance of contributing more from the get-go. Edmonds was an extremely raw safety with the same skill set as numerous other bums we have put at safety over the last several years. Wide receiver was a need, but James Washington wasn't worth a second round pick, nor did we need to spend a second-rounder at wide receiver. and in the third round we drafted two backups.

drafting maybe for the future, but we are in 100% win now mode. the focus should be on drafting immediate needs. our first round pick was the only pick in the first 3 Rounds that filled an immediate need, and as I stated, we use that pick on an extremely raw safety with lackluster cover skills... Which hasn't worked well for us in the past.

23 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Arden Key has been one of the biggest bright spots in Raiders camp thus far. 

No one denies the talent he immediately brings. His caveat is his maturity and character over the long term. But good to see he's moving in the right direction.

For the Vikings, I would have taken the best available offensive lineman in the first round.  They took a Mike Hughes, who should be a good cornerback, but we already have two very good ones in Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes.  Taking Hughes was kind of a luxury pick, IMO. 

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

For the Vikings, I would have taken the best available offensive lineman in the first round.  They took a Mike Hughes, who should be a good cornerback, but we already have two very good ones in Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes.  Taking Hughes was kind of a luxury pick, IMO. 

I don't know your team well enough, but if you need guards, I would agree. If you needed a tackle, there was no one available with that pick

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know your team well enough, but if you need guards, I would agree. If you needed a tackle, there was no one available with that pick

We weren't very deep at the guard position, and we just received news that Nick Easton, one of our starting guards is going on injured reserve.  At this point, we really could have used a quality rookie who could be plugged in at guard.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:44 AM, jebrick said:

I counter with with how many rookies will help you win now?  Especially drafting in the late 20's.

FA are to help win now.  The draft is always about the future ( unless you are drafting in the top 10 every year).  The Steelers safety play was horrible last season.  They signed Burrnett and drafted Edmunds.  They signed Bostic for ILB.  Any rookie drafted past the 3rd round has very limited immediate return.

Basically. Like look at the second round last year and see which player were unqualified assets to their teams performance as a rookie (aka not just good for a rookie but good). Maybe 25%-35%. The NFL is such a fluid league that a lot of fans/teams fall in love with lottery tickets (maybe x running back will finally fix our running game! etc...). This is extra true with the secondary, which usually takes years to develop (though last years Saints class and arguable Peters as a rookie proved that immediate impact is possible).

On 7/18/2018 at 9:10 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Where we took PJ Hall, although I like doubling up, I would have taken Derrius Guice or Isaiah Oliver.

Where we took Brandon Parker, I would have taken Malik Jefferson.

I'd stand pat on Kolton Miller. He was a reach, but we need a right tackle and he has very good athletic upside, even if his technique is a ways off.

Love that. My only difference would have been Derwin James but hopefully Miller makes me eat some crow...He moved Penn to RT reworked his deal so maybe we've got something and Parker can swing tackle. I just think James is going to beast and regularly remind us with every game we play against them...

Archived