Sam Beal - Supplemental Draft

Da_Ducktator

I am unsure why Beal didn't just enter this past draft, as he was a true junior last year, but maybe something in his life and/or at Western Michigan has changed dramatically in the last few months. Really underrated corner though as people chose to focus on Darius Phillips getting roasted by Anthony Johnson.

Also, here is what Beal said a few months ago:

"I gave it some thought. I did a couple times. But I feel like I should stay in school and get my education," Beal said. "Just my family and people that are close to me, talked to them first and they give me the best advice ... It's all about the senior year. Everybody remembers your senior year - the last go-around. So I'm really looking forward to my senior year and seeing what I can do."

19 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I am unsure why Beal didn't just enter this past draft, as he was a true junior last year, but maybe something in his life and/or at Western Michigan has changed dramatically in the last few months. Really underrated corner though as people chose to focus on Darius Phillips getting roasted by Anthony Johnson.

Also, here is what Beal said a few months ago:

"I gave it some thought. I did a couple times. But I feel like I should stay in school and get my education," Beal said. "Just my family and people that are close to me, talked to them first and they give me the best advice ... It's all about the senior year. Everybody remembers your senior year - the last go-around. So I'm really looking forward to my senior year and seeing what I can do."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/06/western-michigans-sam-beal-filing-to-enter-supplemental-draft/ 

Western Michigan coach Tim Lester told Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports that cornerback Sam Beal is filing to enter the draft. Beal is not eligible to play another year for the Broncos because he is short of the necessary academic credits.

take that for what its worth

I forgot that Terrell Pryor was drafted in the supplemental draft, was under NCAA investigation his final year and instead left.  Jared Gaither I remember from the supplemental draft as well, I really liked him as a SOPH OT, had such potential and ability especially as a FR, was ok in the NFL for a little bit but injuries did catch up with him.  But man he had some real ability and potential as a younger prospect.  

Sam Beal will get drafted. The kid is too good not to. Ended up academically ineligible, but because he was short on credits, not due to GPA (unsure exactly how this happens, but the head coach vouched for him).

Adonis Alexander might get drafted. Don't be so sure he will. I've heard the kid is a real knucklehead and it was only further proven by being ruled academically ineligible. Alexander flashes at times but has a lot of inconsistencies on tape.

Brandon Bryant is hyped up strictly on his rumored athletic testing, but he missed plenty of starts of the last three years and then gets tossed from school for academic reasons. Bryant probably is pretty darn fast, given that he outran Tarvarius Moore in the Mississippi 100 Meter finals when they were high school seniors, but the guy has barely done anything the last two years. He really needed a solid senior campaign, whether at Miss St or somewhere else, to warrant being drafted. I would strongly assume Bryant goes undrafted. A team will sign him, but the odds of a team forfeiting a pick next year to take a safety with 32 tackles last year is low.

10 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Sam Beal will get drafted. The kid is too kid not to. Ended up academically ineligible, but because he was short on credits, not due to GPA (unsure exactly how this happens, but the head coach vouched for him).

Adonis Alexander might get drafted. Don't be so sure he will. I've heard the kid is a real knucklehead and it was only further proven by being ruled academically ineligible. Alexander flashes at times but has a lot of inconsistencies on tape.

Brandon Bryant is hyped up strictly on his rumored athletic testing, but he missed plenty of starts of the last three years and then gets tossed from school for academic reasons. Bryant probably is pretty darn fast, given that he outran Tarvarius Moore in the Mississippi 100 Meter finals when they were high school seniors, but the guy has barely done anything the last two years. He really needed a solid senior campaign, whether at Miss St or somewhere else, to warrant being drafted. I would strongly assume Bryant goes undrafted. A team will sign him, but the odds of a team forfeiting a pick next year to take a safety with 32 tackles last year is low.

Brandon Bryant as well?  This has to be a record of players entering the supplemental draft because they were academically ineligible coming into their senior season before it ever started.

I agree, Bryant is basically all about his hyped up physical testing numbers.  He shows none of that or little of it on the field and was far out played last year by his teammates Johnathan Abram and Mark McLaurin.  Like you said Bryant lost his starting job basically and these two took it, those two safeties last year were productive and showed up, Bryant did not.    

Supposedly Bryant can consistently run a 4.3 40,  deadlifts 600 pounds and squats 450 pounds.  Yeah if those are true numbers that is pretty shocking he as beat out for the starting safety job and was basically just in and out of the lineup.  Will be curious what happens with all of these guys, but freaking A, college is not that hard.  It is their last year, it is the spring/summer time and you fail out of classes.  If they were in that bad of shape to start with they should have just declared for the draft and at worst be a UDFA right now possibly being paid instead of being in this mess.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 6:59 PM, reamer said:

Pretty good workout. Looks better than Bryant's so far, but admittedly that's at nearly 30 pounds lighter.

https://twitter.com/JamalWZZM13/status/1012388412547059713

and beal is twice the Player bryant is. 

i wouldnt be at all mad if the jags threw a 2nd or 3rd for him because while we do have Ramsey and Bouye, ramsey is coming up on a well-deserved extension and bouye might be forced out because when in league history has a team spent 30 + million on 2 starting corners especially considering the jags cap situation i fully expect bouye to be traded sooner then later. 

KALAMAZOO, MI - As a cornerback who specializes in man-to-man coverage, Sam Beal is used to performing on a proverbial island.

So, the Western Michigan junior was in familiar territory Thursday, when he participated in his own Pro Day in front of scouts from all 32 NFL teams and some front-office personnel, including Cleveland Browns general manager John Dorsey, in advance of July's supplemental draft.

I’d love for Cleveland to give the kid a try. He has the measureables and plays a position we’ve aggressively tried to improve. We have an extra 3rd, but we might have to use a 2nd.

Archived