Who is the best pitcher in Baseball?

bigbadbuff23835

I think I'd still say Kershaw is "better" in the sense that when they are pitching Kershaw still has the edge. But if you are asking who I'd be betting on to provide the most value per season then it is Scherzer.

I'm going Scherzer at this point. Forgetting the lack of health on the part of Kershaw, the Velo decrease has me considerably worried. Obviously, he's still great, but he's no longer prime Kershaw, even if he was completely healthy in my opinion. 

Kershaw's back is giving out. To me, it's not just somebody else, but he's not in the top tier.

I think you can make arguments for Sale (toughest division), Scherzer (best all around numbers), and Kluber (the weak contact against him is real). But those are the top 3, and I don't know if there is a clear answer.

21 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Kershaw's back is giving out. To me, it's not just somebody else, but he's not in the top tier.

I think you can make arguments for Sale (toughest division), Scherzer (best all around numbers), and Kluber (the weak contact against him is real). But those are the top 3, and I don't know if there is a clear answer.

Give me Scherzer, but Sevy deserves to be mentioned with these guys.

Can't see an argument for anyone other than Scherzer tbh.

The old Kershaw is obviously the best pitcher in baseball but I don't know if that guy still exists.  And I'm not talking about 2017 Kershaw even, because there were already signs, I'm talking about 2013-2016 Kershaw.  That guy was better than Scherzer no question but who knows if we will ever see that again?  And now he's throwing 89 MPH.

Even when Kershaw was healthy Scherzer was only a step behind him.  He's healthy and consistent.  Since 2014:

IP - 1st

GS - 1st  

W - 1st 

K - 1st 

WAR - 2nd (to Kerhsaw)

ERA - 3rd (to Kershaw and Jose Fernandez) 

FIP - 4th (to Kershaw, Jose Fernandez, and Thor)

Only guys who beat him in any of these categories are either dead or crippled.  Its not really a contest.  Sale, Kluber, Thor (if he's back?), Severino probably round out the top-5.  The throne is waiting for Kershaw if he can get healthy again but for now he's off the board.

Archived