Supplemental Draft actually relevant??

Fatgerman

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Can we give the patriots pick in the supplemental draft?

ive never seen a team use another teams pick even if they owned it 

I'm not sure about the rules on this one either.

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I deleted some posts in here about violence against women. This is a favor because I don't like handing out suspensions. Further posts recommending violence against women will receive suspensions. I know it's jokes, but better safe than sorry.

Sorry I got carried away. 

I wont do it again. 

16 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If we can acquire talent don’t care how we get it. 

With the supplemental draft they usually go a round lower than they would in the draft. I would be happy to throw a 3rd and 5th in the pot.

Not only do they typically go a round (or more) later than they would have, but the teams that take them get them a year earlier than they normally would.  If we like one of these guys, I will not be surprised if we bid at least one pick.  Especially given Dorsey's tendency to roll the dice on checkered pasts.

36 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Not only do they typically go a round (or more) later than they would have, but the teams that take them get them a year earlier than they normally would.  If we like one of these guys, I will not be surprised if we bid at least one pick.  Especially given Dorsey's tendency to roll the dice on checkered pasts.

For sure. At and least for a couple of them, it seems to be purely grades, rather than drugs/violence. I'd much rather take a guy who isn't at all book smart than a guy who's hit his girlfriend.

19 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

For sure. At and least for a couple of them, it seems to be purely grades, rather than drugs/violence. I'd much rather take a guy who isn't at all book smart than a guy who's hit his girlfriend.

Let’s be honest, you don’t become academically ineligible because of stupidity, it’s due to lack of effort, which is the only concerning part.

If they can’t buckle down and stay eligible, can they be counted on to work hard as a professional? 

Not a deal breaker by any means, but you do need to learn a bit about the kid and what happened.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Let’s be honest, you don’t become academically ineligible because of stupidity, it’s due to lack of effort, which is the only concerning part.

If they can’t buckle down and stay eligible, can they be counted on to work hard as a professional? 

Not a deal breaker by any means, but you do need to learn a bit about the kid and what happened.

For sure. But at the same time, as a HS coach right now, I have some kids who struggle to stay academically eligible who are some of my hardest workers on the field. Sometimes it's about what you love, that they love the game and can work as hard as anyone at that, but don't love classes and have to fight themselves just to drag along there. Which, like you said, is where scouting comes in, to find out if it is general laziness or that kind of lack of passion in one area driving their academic failure.

Just now, freakygeniuskid said:

For sure. But at the same time, as a HS coach right now, I have some kids who struggle to stay academically eligible who are some of my hardest workers on the field. Sometimes it's about what you love, that they love the game and can work as hard as anyone at that, but don't love classes and have to fight themselves just to drag along there. Which, like you said, is where scouting comes in, to find out if it is general laziness or that kind of lack of passion in one area driving their academic failure.

Family issues, money issues, all kinds of reasons, for sure.  Just gotta do your homework and not be blinded by the potential value if a guy is lazy.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Especially with the support that they get from their tutors, it seems like it is almost impossible to fail with at least some minimal level of effort. 

I had Sam Beal as my 7th best CB in the draft and gave him a late 2nd/early 3rd round grade.

His length and ball skills are impressive. He has great hip fluidity but has poor eye discipline and his eyes get him into trouble.

He reminded me of Nnamdi Asomugha in terms of arm length and movement skills. Asomugha was known as having elite work ethic and studied the game/WRs religiously. I don't know if Beal has those characteristics, but if he's a diligent worker then we should absolutely spend a draft pick on him in the supplemental.

It would be ideal if we could give a 4th round pick for him assuming there are no major red flags. He has serious starter upside and as even pro bowl potential. I wouldn't be surprised if a team uses a 3rd round pick on him.

I'd stay away from Adonis Alexander as he's too slow and too stiff a mover to have success at CB in the league. he'll likely convert to an OLB or SS in the league. I liked his tape early on but he got exposed the more I watched.

I don't know anything about the Safety out of TAMU, but if he has serious upside a FS and we could get him in the 4th or 5th it would be worth the gamble assuming he passes the character test.

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Especially with the support that they get from their tutors, it seems like it is almost impossible to fail with at least some minimal level of effort. 

Tutors help but if tests are a high percentage and you don't meet the standards to have help with your tests and just just can't grab a concept it is possible. The most likely reason is that they didn't go to college to play school.

Archived