Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pwny

Gil Brandt ranks Jaguars second most talented roster in NFL

Recommended Posts

One year after ranking sixth on offense and second on defense, the Jaguars remain loaded with blue-chip talent at every level -- including cornerback Jalen Ramsey and defensive lineman Calais Campbell, both top-five players at their respective positions. The offensive line got a big upgrade when Jacksonville shelled out big bucks to sign guard Andrew Norwell, who will fit well on a unit that also includes Cam Robinson, a standout player drafted in the second round in 2017. Quarterback Blake Bortles remains the main question mark, but I think offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett's skill at developing quarterbacks will be made apparent by Bortles' continued improvement in 2018. With Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns both gone, Keelan Cole will have to come through at receiver, though I think Marqise Lee will keep trending in the right direction. And, of course, there's Leonard Fournette and the top-ranked running game. Finally, the Jags' first four draft picks this year -- defensive tackle Taven Bryan, receiver D.J. Chark, safety Ronnie Harrison and offensive tackle Will Richardson -- were strong and will further boost this squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How crazy is this? For the first time I am seeing that the Jaguars are talented or they won the off-season, but I don't have a knot in my stomach. Last year was the first time in over a decade that all the "talent" the Jaguars had was actually manifested into wins and something worth standing behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it’s weird. I still feel uncomfortable with the team tho. Are we gonna turn back into a pumpkin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back at our 2014 roster to now is just amazing. Dave Caldwell hasn’t been perfect but he has done a pretty solid job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, it’s weird. I still feel uncomfortable with the team tho. Are we gonna turn back into a pumpkin?

Yeah.  I feel it too.  Too many years of awful has given us a all a complex i think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Looking back at our 2014 roster to now is just amazing. Dave Caldwell hasn’t been perfect but he has done a pretty solid job.

Just a year ago Jags fans were calling for his head still (I wasn't in that group).

What a difference a playoff appearence makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, iPwn said:

Yeah, it’s weird. I still feel uncomfortable with the team tho. Are we gonna turn back into a pumpkin?

 

17 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I feel it too.  Too many years of awful has given us a all a complex i think.  

This... THIS! I just wonder if the success can be sustained and if the team is able to take that next step. A decade of losing gives you second thoughts. It's like getting abused for a decade and then cringing a little bit a year later when someone raises their hand towards you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

gurantee you we would be number 1 if we had almost any other QB but bortles

That's so disrespectful. What do you have to prove your claim. Seriously though. Of the QBs the Jaguars could've possibly acquired, please name a few that the team would've fared better with in 2017. Let me get your list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Just a year ago Jags fans were calling for his head still (I wasn't in that group).

What a difference a playoff appearence makes.

Too true. The thing here is that every off-season the Jaguars were being touted and the analyst, like Gil Brandt, were saying that our team had so much talent, but it never manifested during the season. We'd see some off-season rankings with the Jaguars rated high, but the win column would be hideous. It wasn't until this year with a new head coach and regime that it all started to come together. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-free-agency-biggest-winners-and-losers-2016-3#winner-malik-jackson-7

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/13/8205529/2015-nfl-free-agency-grades-winners-losers-jets-bills-jaguars-colts
WINNER: Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley's lease on life

From

Quote

After getting a reprieve and keeping his job following a 12-36 record over his first three seasons as head coach, Bradley won't have any excuses in his fourth season in Jacksonville. The Jags added impact players on defense via free agency (defensive lineman Malik Jackson, defensive backs Prince Amukamara and Tashaun Gipson) and the draft (first-round pick Jalen Ramsey and second-rounder Myles Jack) to pair with an ascendent offense built around quarterback Blake Bortles and a top-notch receiving corps. Finally possessing the pieces on defense he needs, Bradley's Jaguars should make a move in the AFC South -- or else.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jags said:

That's so disrespectful. What do you have to prove your claim. Seriously though. Of the QBs the Jaguars could've possibly acquired, please name a few that the team would've fared better with in 2017. Let me get your list. 

Watson. small sample size but based on what he showed he is much better then Blake.  would mean no fournette but im sure we would have picked up a RB in say maybe round 3 with hunt. 

but the writer was saying this is the 2nd most talented roster this year meaning we could have signed guys like Teddy(not a huge risk on that contract he was offered), Cousins(was a potential signing), keenum, Bradford.  im just saying weve had chances to potentially upgrade at QB but we chose not to.  i wouldnt change our draft choices except lee and if i was gonna pick a QB i would take the Guy the seahawks picked. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jags said:

That's so disrespectful. What do you have to prove your claim. Seriously though. Of the QBs the Jaguars could've possibly acquired, please name a few that the team would've fared better with in 2017. Let me get your list. 

I don't think there have to be better realistic options, to say that Blake Bortles is a QB who really lets the roster down.  At least from a "perceived talent" standpoint.  If not from an actual talent agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Watson. small sample size but based on what he showed he is much better then Blake.  would mean no fournette but im sure we would have picked up a RB in say maybe round 3 with hunt. 

but the writer was saying this is the 2nd most talented roster this year meaning we could have signed guys like Teddy(not a huge risk on that contract he was offered), Cousins(was a potential signing), keenum, Bradford.  im just saying weve had chances to potentially upgrade at QB but we chose not to.  i wouldnt change our draft choices except lee and if i was gonna pick a QB i would take the Guy the seahawks picked. 

 

Its easy to speculate who we would have gotten but no telling if we took Hunt or maybe Perine or Connor. Big difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 10:46 AM, iPwn said:

Yeah, it’s weird. I still feel uncomfortable with the team tho. Are we gonna turn back into a pumpkin?

There is definitely that feeling. Its nice to see depth at spots like the DL/WR but i feel like this year at least we aren't relying on new high-priced free agents to gel and prove worth their contract as much as in years past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×