Duke Johnson - Contract Extension

ReggieCamp

41 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Bad contract for Duke imo.

5 minutes ago, Powertower said:

I agree.  Definitely thought he could get more on open market.  

I thought that at first too, but then I looked at the numbers... the numbers tell a different story. It's a good contract for Duke.. it's just the unfortunate and terrible reality of RBs.

In truth, this contract puts Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde as the 8th and 9th RBs in the league in terms of AVERAGE ANNUAL Salary.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/running-back/

Le'Veon Bell is the outlier on the franchise tag at 14Mil plus. Top RB1s ahead of Duke and Carlos Hyde are either 1.) On recent Rookie CBA slotted deals like Fournette and Ezekiel Elliot making their average annual higher, or 2.) RB1s that have captured multiple pro-bowls and/or Rushing titles like Lesean Mccoy (8Mil per), Devonta Freeman ($8.25M per)... that leaves just 2 RBs ahead of Duke with Jerrick McKinnon who the 49ers overpaid giving him 7.5Million (the whole league thought they overpaid him) and Lamar Miller making 6.5Million for being Houston's lead RB.

In fact, the $7.7 Million guaranteed at signing on a 3-year deal when adjusted for contract length of other RBs and taking out the rookie contracts (rookies are guaranteed a lot due to the CBA), in terms of guranteed money Duke has a top 6 RB contract based on active players.

So, he did good for himself.

His contract would be different if he was able to make the case as a slot WR .... the RB market is just really really bad for the players... but all in all Duke has top 8 avg annual salary and a top 6 contract in terms of adjusted $ guaranteed at salary. For a player that has yet to be given the opportunity to be a lead back, it's a really good contracts based on the current market. Even compared to Isiah Cro

4 minutes ago, Powertower said:

I agree.  Definitely thought he could get more on open market.  

You don’t want to gamble on not making the open market or having a down year. 

He did the right thing to sign for his own interests. 

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

I thought that at first too, but then I looked at the numbers... the numbers tell a different story. It's a good contract for Duke.. it's just the unfortunate and terrible reality of RBs.

In truth, this contract puts Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde as the 8th and 9th RBs in the league in terms of AVERAGE ANNUAL Salary.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/running-back/

Le'Veon Bell is the outlier on the franchise tag at 14Mil plus. Top RB1s ahead of Duke and Carlos Hyde are either 1.) On recent Rookie CBA slotted deals like Fournette and Ezekiel Elliot making their average annual higher, or 2.) RB1s that have captured multiple pro-bowls and/or Rushing titles like Lesean Mccoy (8Mil per), Devonta Freeman ($8.25M per)... that leaves just 2 RBs ahead of Duke with Jerrick McKinnon who the 49ers overpaid giving him 7.5Million (the whole league thought they overpaid him) and Lamar Miller making 6.5Million for being Houston's lead RB.

In fact, the $7.7 Million guaranteed at signing on a 3-year deal when adjusted for contract length of other RBs and taking out the rookie contracts (rookies are guaranteed a lot due to the CBA), in terms of guranteed money Duke has a top 6 RB contract based on active players.

So, he did good for himself.

His contract would be different if he was able to make the case as a slot WR .... the RB market is just really really bad for the players... but all in all Duke has top 8 avg annual salary and a top 6 contract in terms of adjusted $ guaranteed at salary. For a player that has yet to be given the opportunity to be a lead back, it's a really good contracts based on the current market. Even compared to Isiah Cro

You sum it up well good contract in a bad market. 

Rb’s Don’t get payed their value unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Gordon is next right?

Gordon is a RFA after the season and we can slap a 1st round tender on him for a little over 2.5 mil and no team is going to give up a 1st for a player one slip up away from being gone forever. Even the next season unless Gordon has performed as a Top 5 WR in each of 2018 and 2019 I still wouldn't give up a long term deal. I'd slap the tag on him and make him prove to be clean for 3 years in a row. At that point I'd then look into a long term contract and even then I'd still look to have some sort of protection on the guarantees in the event he gets the itch to take a toke again.

16 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Gordon is a RFA after the season and we can slap a 1st round tender on him for a little over 2.5 mil and no team is going to give up a 1st for a player one slip up away from being gone forever. Even the next season unless Gordon has performed as a Top 5 WR in each of 2018 and 2019 I still wouldn't give up a long term deal. I'd slap the tag on him and make him prove to be clean for 3 years in a row. At that point I'd then look into a long term contract and even then I'd still look to have some sort of protection on the guarantees in the event he gets the itch to take a toke again.

I agree with all of this.

The only way that I'd consider signing Gordon now to any type of extension is if I think that I could buy low, get a great deal (4-5 years for a moderate contract that's highly incentive laden), with minimum signing bonus money just in case he relapses/tests positive again.

36 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I agree with all of this.

The only way that I'd consider signing Gordon now to any type of extension is if I think that I could buy low, get a great deal (4-5 years for a moderate contract that's highly incentive laden), with minimum signing bonus money just in case he relapses/tests positive again.

If he tests positive again then he gets suspended for a year, we don’t have to pay him and it doesn’t count against our cap. For that reason I’d absolutely resign him long term right now if we could. 

6 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I hope. I’m not entirely sure he wants to be here though. 

I think he has certainly been ready to leave but winning, Landry, Baker, and the presence of some "star" potential guys could change that this year

2 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

I think he has certainly been ready to leave but winning, Landry, Baker, and the presence of some "star" potential guys could change that this year

I hope. Plus he just went about 4 years without a paycheck. He may be intrigued by getting a big pay day right now and worrying about another team down the line. The mans only played 40 games in his career. He’s got a lot of football left in him. 

Archived