Duke Johnson - Contract Extension

ReggieCamp

10 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If he tests positive again then he gets suspended for a year, we don’t have to pay him and it doesn’t count against our cap. For that reason I’d absolutely resign him long term right now if we could. 

Right, I agree...but what I'm saying is, I DO NOT want to sign him to a huge up front signing bonus, because we would be out that money I believe. That was my stipulation to signing him right now to a long term deal.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Right, I agree...but what I'm saying is, I DO NOT want to sign him to a huge up front signing bonus, because we would be out that money I believe. That was my stipulation to signing him right now to a long term deal.

I believe the team can recoup signing bonus money if a player is suspended. 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I believe the team can recoup signing bonus money if a player is suspended. 

That's the main reason Ricky Williams came back to the NFL after his big suspension.  He owed the Dolphins millions.

Not sure if that changed with the new CBA, but I doubt it.

Regarding Gordon, I am changing my tune.  Last year before he was reinstated I wanted to wash my hands of him and be done with him.  Way too many chances wasted and fans hearts broken.

i believe that he may have finally grown up, he is still a young 27 years old and should have a lot of good years ahead of him.  He is obviously working hard.  The guy is in the best shape of his life.

Regarding  if he wants to be here, I believe that he does.  The team stood by him for years through all of his screw ups.  He could have easily been like Justin Blackmon, but the team stood by him.  That means something.  The emotional fans did not, but fans have a very short memory and he is already feeling the love from that perspective.

He also can be part of a legend here and build his legacy/immortality if he is a cornerstone of turning the team around from 20 years of futility.  I believe we are finally on the doorstep.

Thise that think no team will give up a round one for him if we put a round one tender on him are smoking something more rich than Josh Gordon ever did.  Just like the fans, the league has a short memory.  If he puts up 1500 yards and 12 touchdowns, teams would be lining up to give up a round one pick for him next year if we went that route.

1 minute ago, ditchdigger said:

If that is the case, it becomes a debt. 

then bankruptcy?

I wouldn't count on getting it back. 

For example if he went to  the slammer on drug charges, the pay rates in prison are very low aren't they? 

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I have a theory.

We want to be a run heavy team the next 2-3 years until we let Baker takeover completely.

It’s nice in theory until we’re down by 20 and have to pass. Which is what has happened the past 2 years. 

16 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It’s nice in theory until we’re down by 20 and have to pass. Which is what has happened the past 2 years. 

or the game is 0-0  with 15:00 to go in the first quarter of week one of the season. 

Hue likes running deep pass plays, we could of run the ball more last year. 

35 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I have a theory.

We want to be a run heavy team the next 2-3 years until we let Baker takeover completely.

I don't think so, I believe that Mayfield will develop very quickly.  I also believe that we are building a powerhouse offense that can do everything well.  Take away the deep passing game and we will kill you with the intermediate and short passing game, and the run.  Take away the run and we will slice and dice you all over the field in the passing game.

I believe we are on the verge of greatness.

I do not envy the team's front office next off season.  I believe Mayfield will be very ready to take over, but I also believe that Taylor will be coming off of a career type year, on par with what Alex Smith just put up.  They will look very bad if they let him walk and Mayfield doesn't perform at least as well.  Its a decision that I would not want to make.

There is talent in all units of our offense now, all over the field.  Our D isn't far behind, I love this teams foundation now.

37 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I have a theory.

With Tyrod it is all on the table, RPO, read option, play action. 

We also have a decent oline, and Crobett is meant to be a decent Run blocker.

It would certainly be an intelligent approach to team building.

And it would be a plan, which i would like. 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Hueball snickers and acts like reporters are crazy for asking why we don’t run it more, even when our RB has a statline of 4/74 yards. “You guys don’t understand how it works” etc. 

We might not be down 20 if we tried a balanced offense. Looking forward to seeing what an actual QB/OC can do. 

Archived