Duke Johnson - Contract Extension

ReggieCamp

2 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I would have waited to see his fit into the new offense before paying him as a top ten RB.

But “top 10 RB” money doesn’t mean much.  It’s 5 mil/year either way, 2.8% of the cap.

For a team coming off one win in two seasons, I’m not sure letting your best offensive player walk was really an option.

2 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I would have waited to see his fit into the new offense before paying him as a top ten RB.

... and we would have had no leverage if he balls out.  We could tag him for a huge price, only to have to face competition to resign him again the next year.  When you have a talented player, that is a very reckless approach and how you end up losing guys like Gipson and TJ Ward in the past, for example.  Lock them up before they become free agents.  If they are talented, which Duke is, its the coach's job to figure out how to use them.  Haley has turned Bell into the most productive RB in the league, he and Duke are pretty similar.  I think Bell is a couple of inches taller, and heavier.  But didn't Duke outperform him in several of the measurables at the combine?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/duke-johnson?id=2552461

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/le'veon-bell?id=2540175

I am not saying that Duke will be Bell, because size does matter, but he has the tools for Haley to work with to be a very nice piece in our offense while Hyde and Chubb are our bigger stronger backs.

I think Gipson and Ward had proven themselves as starters.

Haley didn't turn Bell into anything. He's arguably the most talented RB in the league. Mentioning he and Duke (who couldn't even show out in a change of pace role) in the same sentence is a little absurd.

2 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Haley didn't turn Bell into anything. He's arguably the most talented RB in the league. Mentioning he and Duke (who couldn't even show out in a change of pace role) in the same sentence is a little absurd.

The poster you’re responding to clearly stated he’s not comparing Bell and Duke. But Haley knows how to utilize dual-purpose runningbacks and has a history of doing so. Hue’s offense doesn’t utilize the RB passing game nearly as much. Hue is more pro style power run, Haley is better at scheming based on what he has around him. 

Why is your name BrownLeader when you clearly hate the Browns for some reason? 

4 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Bell isn't all that talented, doesn't have great power or speed or quickness. He has good balance and is patient and before last year had great determination. That was missing last year for whatever reason and he really wasn't great, just good. Bell had 103 targets last year and Duke had 93. Duke ended up with more receiving yards and receiving TDs. Duke also had about 400 less snaps and didn't start a single game and ended up with just 4 less total TDs than Bell. Yes, Bell has proven to be much better (and makes 3 times as much) however Duke averaged more per carry last year, so as a change of pace back he absolutely showed out finishing top 20 in total yards among RBs while only getting 82 carries. He couldn't have done much more with his opportunities unless he was Alvin Kamara but no one is Alvin Kamara, maybe not even Alvin Kamara.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

The poster you’re responding to clearly stated he’s not comparing Bell and Duke. But Haley knows how to utilize dual-purpose runningbacks and has a history of doing so. Hue’s offense doesn’t utilize the RB passing game nearly as much. Hue is more pro style power run, Haley is better at scheming based on what he has around him. 

Why is your name BrownLeader when you clearly hate the Browns for some reason? 

He said Duke won't be another Bell but he very clearly compared them.

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Bell isn't all that talented, doesn't have great power or speed or quickness. He has good balance and is patient and before last year had great determination. That was missing last year for whatever reason and he really wasn't great, just good. Bell had 103 targets last year and Duke had 93. Duke ended up with more receiving yards and receiving TDs. Duke also had about 400 less snaps and didn't start a single game and ended up with just 4 less total TDs than Bell. Yes, Bell has proven to be much better (and makes 3 times as much) however Duke averaged more per carry last year, so as a change of pace back he absolutely showed out finishing top 20 in total yards among RBs while only getting 82 carries. He couldn't have done much more with his opportunities unless he was Alvin Kamara but no one is Alvin Kamara, maybe not even Alvin Kamara.

giphy.gif

Watch Bell from last year, he wasn't special at all. What made him great was his refusal to be tackled and that was missing last year. Still good and multi-dimensional and top 5-7 in the league instead of clearly top 2 but last year all that he was elite in was snaps, had 150 more than Gurley who was 2nd.

Kamara had just under 400 less yards from scrimmage than Bell did with almost 500 fewer snaps. When you use touches it sounds really crazy, Bell had 1946 yards on 406 touches. Kamara had 1554 yards on 201 touches. Kamara was the best back in the league last year if you watch them. Gurley produced more as did Bell but only because they had the touches.

Kamara was the best player in the NFL last year imo. Duke isn't that but as a receiving back he is good and would have got close to what he did on the open market.

6 hours ago, candyman93 said:

We might resign EJ Gaines. Everyone else can walk. We could probably get a nice comp pick from Tyrod.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/cleveland-browns/

A round 3 pick for Tyrod.  I don’t see us signing any big time free agents, and after a breakout year in 2018, some team will back up the brinks truck for Tyrod if we let him go and turn the reins over to Mayfield.  Make no mistake about it though, it will be a very difficult decision for Dorsey.  You have #1 overall pick, the qb that you selected to be the face of your franchise and the future for 15 years on one hand, but on the other you have a qb that broke the bills playoff dry spell at 18 years, pro bowls in his past, now coming off of his best season by far as a pro for a franchise that has been starved for a qb for 20 years.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

A round 3 pick for Tyrod.  I don’t see us signing any big time free agents, and after a breakout year in 2018, some team will back up the brinks truck for Tyrod if we let him go and turn the reins over to Mayfield.  Make no mistake about it though, it will be a very difficult decision for Dorsey.  You have #1 overall pick, the qb that you selected to be the face of your franchise and the future for 15 years on one hand, but on the other you have a qb that broke the bills playoff dry spell at 18 years, pro bowls in his past, now coming off of his best season by far as a pro for a franchise that has been starved for a qb for 20 years.

I agree with all of this, though I don't see how Mayfield isn't starting next season. While I don't know if I trust Tyrod to get much better at this point in his career (but maybe he will), it's more about how good Mayfield is gonna be. I can see him shining very quickly. Hall of Fame.

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I agree with all of this, though I don't see how Mayfield isn't starting next season. While I don't know if I trust Tyrod to get much better at this point in his career (but maybe he will), it's more about how good Mayfield is gonna be. I can see him shining very quickly. Hall of Fame.

Taylor doesn’t have to get a lot better to have an incredible season.  He has had good seasons in Buffalo with far less offensive talent to work with and without Haley who is one of the best oc’s in the game.  If he is as good as last year he should have quite a bit more yardage and TDs than last year.

5 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Taylor doesn’t have to get a lot better to have an incredible season.  He has had good seasons in Buffalo with far less offensive talent to work with and without Haley who is one of the best oc’s in the game.  If he is as good as last year he should have quite a bit more yardage and TDs than last year.

I see Tyrod having more TDs and Yards. But more turnovers and lower INTs. I see Haley allowing him to throw more. Which will be better for him but it will lead to more mistakes or bad passes. 

Archived