Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

45 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Exactly one voter who did in fact vote for TO said it

There were plenty of leaks from inside the voters meetings confirming people were against TO getting in. 

It was poor form from the voters letting politics get in the way of doing the right thing. There are some real scumbags in the hall, & pretending that a guy like TO doesn't fit the with the values of the HOF is laughable. 

I will acknowledge this though, TO beefing with Michael Irvin is stupid, & he needs to stop it.  

25 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

There were plenty of leaks from inside the voters meetings confirming people were against TO getting in. 

It was poor form from the voters letting politics get in the way of doing the right thing. There are some real scumbags in the hall, & pretending that a guy like TO doesn't fit the with the values of the HOF is laughable. 

I will acknowledge this though, TO beefing with Michael Irvin is stupid, & he needs to stop it.  

Michael Irvin needs to stop violating Owens's trust by reading his text messages on the air without permission and anonymously bashing him to Gary Myers, as he did in this article: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/terrell-owens-wait-buys-gold-jacket-stats-back-article-1.2984689

6 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Michael Irvin needs to stop violating Owens's trust by reading his text messages on the air without permission and anonymously bashing him to Gary Myers, as he did in this article: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/terrell-owens-wait-buys-gold-jacket-stats-back-article-1.2984689

If Mike has been doing that? Then, I tend to agree. I won't speculate too much on the source in the article, as I have no proof. But, one thing is for sure, Myers is a joke. 

Irvin has some shady off the field stuff attached to him, so if that is him saying schit in the article? I'd understand TO's beef. 

If this is an attempt to spite the voters, I don't see how not going to the ceremony will effect them? They're just going to vote on a new class the following year anyway. And the ceremony in Canton has nothing to do with the voters. All of the people that make that happen in addition to past players showing up have nothing to do with the sportswriters that decide who does or doesn't belong. Everyone at the event wants Owens to be there. Including other past players who got snubbed themselves. 

The way I see it, it's just going to confirm the bias that people that voted against him being inducted initially had. 

1 hour ago, Marc MacGyver said:

He got in.... He didn't his first year, and quite frankly he just doesn't stack up all that well to the WR's who made it in first ballot before him. The 2nd year he was a finalist. The third year he made it. That's not really ridiculous. I just gave you a list of how long WR's have waited to get in the Hall. TO in the grand scheme of things didn't wait that long even if you could question the reasons why they pushed him off.

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

If this is an attempt to spite the voters, I don't see how not going to the ceremony will effect them? They're just going to vote on a new class the following year anyway. And the ceremony in Canton has nothing to do with the voters. All of the people that make that happen in addition to past players showing up have nothing to do with the sportswriters that decide who does or doesn't belong. Everyone at the event wants Owens to be there. Including other past players who got snubbed themselves. 

The way I see it, it's just going to confirm the bias that people that voted against him being inducted initially had. 

The irony is I don't think it does much to spite the voters who didn't vote for him. The one voter who freaked out at him not going is someone who confirmed he voted for him. It's all the people who went out on a limb for him (voters, HOF players who fought for his case, Steve Young who had statements read before the committee) that came out afterwords and said they were disappointing.

The guys who didn't vote for him? They get to sit around and look smug at all the people who fought for his cause that he just let down. They get to say "I didn't want him in and he decided to be the only diva who didn't bother to show up and act like it was an honor, I was right". 

Also you correctly stated, the ceremony in Canton has nothing to do with the voters. A lot of them don't even show up and they aren't afforded special privileges being there (minus the 2 that are actually in the HOF). So all the people involved with putting that together for the players being enshrined and their families are the ones who are really getting snubbed. And lets be very clear, there are guys that waited a long time to get in the Hall and got upset about it. Nearly every single one of them said the enshrinement ceremony was one of the best days of their life. At the end of the day, TO's the one missing out.

31 minutes ago, lancerman said:

He got in.... He didn't his first year, and quite frankly he just doesn't stack up all that well to the WR's who made it in first ballot before him. The 2nd year he was a finalist. The third year he made it. That's not really ridiculous. I just gave you a list of how long WR's have waited to get in the Hall. TO in the grand scheme of things didn't wait that long even if you could question the reasons why they pushed him off.

He stacks up fine with all the 1st ballot WRs not named Jerry. Yes, he got in, but he has the right to feel shafted. Simply because he was. 

A lot of the receivers that waited simply weren't as good as TO. Unlike the RBs, the quality of WR play has been on the increase. Modern wideouts are vastly superior to their predecessors, with maybe a few exceptions.    

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

I caught a bit of Golic & Wingo the other day, & Golic's son made a good point. He noted that some HOFers weren't on board with TO getting in. The most vocal, & outspoken was Bill Polian. So, TO may actually feel it's not just the voters against him, but certain HOFers as well.   

Dont get me wrong, I want TO there.  I hope Jerry, Steve, Bdawk, and Randy can change his mind.  I just dont think its a big deal to anyone other than him if he doesnt go.  Its his decision, its not a slap in the face, its not being a diva, its a personal decision for him.

TO is/was very talented....period. But, when most people hear "professional", TO's name is or should not be in the conversation.

Sure, he can do what he wants...as it is his perogative. I'll leave it at that.

5 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

He stacks up fine with all the 1st ballot WRs not named Jerry. Yes, he got in, but he has the right to feel shafted. Simply because he was. 

A lot of the receivers that waited simply weren't as good as TO. Unlike the RBs, the quality of WR play has been on the increase. Modern wideouts are vastly superior to their predecessors, with maybe a few exceptions.    

No he actually doesn’t they all retired higher than he did in the hierarchy 

2 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

TO is/was very talented....period. But, when most people hear "professional", TO's name is or should not be in the conversation.

I'm not a TO fan but for him to average 71 catches for 1,062 and 10tds for a 15 year career, that screams as professional as possible. He was paid to produce and he did that at the highest level. Who cares what your definition of a "professional" is, he did what he was compensated to do, there are plenty of "professionals" who couldn't even make the final 53 man roster after camp. People can say whatever they want to say about him but there is no questioning him or his effort on the field which is the most important, this is the same guy who had 9 catches for 122 in the Super Bowl on a broke leg, that's called going above and beyond the call of duty. He wasn't paid to be friends and be a nice guy, he was paid to be a beast on the field, which is what he was.

11 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

Terrell Owens lived off grilled chicken and egg whites during the season while other players were going out drinking. 

5 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Terrell Owens lived off grilled chicken and egg whites during the season while other players were going out drinking. 

I do that for free. Actually scratch that, I pay to do that and it does nothing to benefit my career.

Archived