Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

Here is a recent article about an interview with Terrell Owens that happened this past April with 49ers beat reporter Matt Maiocco from his podcast. This just came on in podcast form a couple of days ago. It was released early actually, since Owens said he wasn't going to the HOF ceremony. It was planned to be released later on. Most of it is about his time with the 49ers. Maiocco later on asks Owens about why he still has bitter feelings towards the organization. 

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/116544-terrell-owens-explains-reasons-behind-bitterness-toward-49ers/#fb-comments

As a 49ers fan, I could see why Owens was a little agitated by some of things that happened as he explained them from his side of the story. At the same time, some if it I think he really needs to just get over it. I remembered what Shannon Sharpe said like a week or two ago regarding Owens. If he feels you have wronged him, he will never forgive you in any capacity. Some of this stuff happened 15 or 20 years ago, and on the surface he just seems really bitter about it. 

Also, a couple of times while listening he did come off as diva-like in his comments. Especially when talking about Moss getting a tryout with the 49ers over him in 2012, as if the 49ers owed it to him to give him a tryout. 

All that being said, great player. Deserved to be a first ballot HOF player. Maybe though, it's just Owens' world and we're all living in it. 

On 13/06/2018 at 12:06 PM, lancerman said:

It's generally the majority opinion that Moss was ahead of TO. 

Also that has yet to be seen. 

I think longevity will prevent Calvin from going 1st ballot, I think Fitz will probably wait too, but if he doesn't he's still going to finish ahead of TO in receptions and will pass him in yards this year. Brown maybe but we should note that Brown's the only guy whose even on pace with Rice's stats so if he keeps up, he would be more deserving than TO

I've got no problem with the bold. Nor do I have a problem with the minority that argue Moss is better than Rice. Even though statistically Rice exists in another galaxy. 

The above argument after all is usually in regard to who is the GOAT, then who comes in second & third place. 

Names like Alworth, Largent , Berry, & Warfield seldom get a mention in that discussion. Therein lies the problem. 

How can voters overlook a player "TWICE" who the vast majority rank at three, a small minority rank two, & worst case scenario is as low as five all-time. The answer is out of spite. 

Three receivers dominated the 2000s, three receivers split the bulk of the accolades, & three receivers should have been first ballot. They got it wrong with Marvin (Although, I'm sure the controversy surrounding him played a role). They stuffed up big-time with the T.O. vote. Then, when the backlash came, vindictively made him wait another year. "FINALLY," they did the right thing with the Moss decision. (You could also argue the didn't have the courage to face the backlash if Randy was held out).

Unlike the era prior where Rice had a Secretariat-esque 73 Belmont Stakes lead over the field. The 2000s was tightly fought, & little separated the dominant three at the end of their careers. Certainly not enough to determine that only one from that era is worthy of first ballot status.   

~~~

While longevity, & stat accumulation is against Calvin, everything else is in his favour. He joins Moss as one of the best specimens to play WR - Dominant player of 2010s - High character -  Walking highlight reel. The strength of 2021 class drops off after Peyton, & Woodson, so that may also aid his cause.

Larry probably shouldn't get in first try, as only once in his career has he been deemed First Team AP worthy. But, let's be real - He has the bulk stats, memorable moments (A number of them in the playoffs), AND... Everybody loves Larry.

Brown is my second favourite receiver of all-time (Behind T.O.), there is little doubt he'll have a first ballot worthy career. But, I can't see him playing long enough, particularly in the CTE era, to touch Rice.   

I recently thinking that perhaps Owens may not want to partake in the multiple media sessions that are a part of the HOF weekend circuit with each class. There is a ton of media there asking questions to along with multiple sit-down sessions in front of an audience. With Owens it was going to be inevitable that questions about his character concerns would arise. If you hear him in interviews over the years, he's pretty honest how he feels, and to me always seems a little bitter about something. Owens could have just wanted to avoid a **** show. Maybe he also didn't want to mingle with some of the HOF members that were going to be there that felt he shouldn't have been inducted. 

BTW, I'm guessing this is the last time Owens will be of any relevance. After the HOF festivities are over, don't see what else lies ahead for him in the football world. He is still trying to get back into the league and play, but that's not happening at age 44.

28 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

I've got no problem with the bold. Nor do I have a problem with the minority that argue Moss is better than Rice. Even though statistically Rice exists in another galaxy. 

The above argument after all is usually in regard to who is the GOAT, then who comes in second & third place. 

Names like Alworth, Largent , Berry, & Warfield seldom get a mention in that discussion. Therein lies the problem. 

How can voters overlook a player "TWICE" who the vast majority rank at three, a small minority rank two, & worst case scenario is as low as five all-time. The answer is out of spite. 

Three receivers dominated the 2000s, three receivers split the bulk of the accolades, & three receivers should have been first ballot. They got it wrong with Marvin (Although, I'm sure the controversy surrounding him played a role). They stuffed up big-time with the T.O. vote. Then, when the backlash came, vindictively made him wait another year. "FINALLY," they did the right thing with the Moss decision. (You could also argue the didn't have the courage to face the backlash if Randy was held out).

Unlike the era prior where Rice had a Secretariat-esque 73 Belmont Stakes lead over the field. The 2000s was tightly fought, & little separated the dominant three at the end of their careers. Certainly not enough to determine that only one from that era is worthy of first ballot status.   

~~~

While longevity, & stat accumulation is against Calvin, everything else is in his favour. He joins Moss as one of the best specimens to play WR - Dominant player of 2010s - High character -  Walking highlight reel. The strength of 2021 class drops off after Peyton, & Woodson, so that may also aid his cause.

Larry probably shouldn't get in first try, as only once in his career has he been deemed First Team AP worthy. But, let's be real - He has the bulk stats, memorable moments (A number of them in the playoffs), AND... Everybody loves Larry.

Brown is my second favourite receiver of all-time (Behind T.O.), there is little doubt he'll have a first ballot worthy career. But, I can't see him playing long enough, particularly in the CTE era, to touch Rice.   

The problem is you are comparing Berry, Largent and Warfield to today and not how they they were seen in the hierarchy when people voted on them. Like in Largent’s case he retired with 6 of the major all time receiver records. 

You compare them to what exists today. Not what might exist in the future. TO had a very similar issue to Carter. He didn’t pass Rice, but his stats were arguably second best. But statistics are so inflated for the position from generation to generation that there is a point where you just say “they are going to keep getting better stats anyways”. 

18 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The problem is you are comparing Berry, Largent and Warfield to today and not how they they were seen in the hierarchy when people voted on them. Like in Largent’s case he retired with 6 of the major all time receiver records. 

You compare them to what exists today. Not what might exist in the future. TO had a very similar issue to Carter. He didn’t pass Rice, but his stats were arguably second best. But statistics are so inflated for the position from generation to generation that there is a point where you just say “they are going to keep getting better stats anyways”. 

Era based is exactly how I wanted the voters to vote. First ballot for the dominant players of the 2000s, the elite players you can't tell the story of that era without. But, they didn't do it. They made him wait twice for no good reason. 

Carter, Brown, etc are 100% a victims of the Rice era. The gap was too wide, & Rice stood alone. Prime Rice didn't play in the Moss / TO / Harrison era, so we can't say definitively that his dominance would be on par if he did. 

Agreed, stats do become inflated as the game changes overtime in terms of rules & strategy. However, sometimes the larger contributing factor is better athletes shifting to certain positions.   

Even with modern training there are players from the past eras that just couldn't compete in today's game. Then, in other positions like RB, there are those who seem better than the vast majority of what we have today.   

15 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Era based is exactly how I wanted the voters to vote. First ballot for the dominant players of the 2000s, the elite players you can't tell the story of that era without. But, they didn't do it. They made him wait twice for no good reason. 

Carter, Brown, etc are 100% a victims of the Rice era. The gap was too wide, & Rice stood alone. Prime Rice didn't play in the Moss / TO / Harrison era, so we can't say definitively that his dominance would be on par if he did. 

Agreed, stats do become inflated as the game changes overtime in terms of rules & strategy. However, sometimes the larger contributing factor is better athletes shifting to certain positions.   

Even with modern training there are players from the past eras that just couldn't compete in today's game. Then, in other positions like RB, there are those who seem better than the vast majority of what we have today.   

But that’s how they’ve been voting.

The best player of the very early NFL went in on the inaugural class. (Hutson)

The best WR of the 50’s, early 60’s and immediate pre Super Bowl era went first ballot. (Berry)

The best WR of the late 60’s and mid 70’s went first ballot. (Warfield) 

The best WR of the late 70’s to mid 80’s went first ballot (Largent)

The best WR of the mid/late. 80’s through mid 90’s went in first ballot. (Rice)

and finally, the best player of the late 90’s through 2000’s went first ballot. (Moss)

Everyone else waited. 

20 minutes ago, lancerman said:

But that’s how they’ve been voting.

The best player of the very early NFL went in on the inaugural class. (Hutson)

The best WR of the 50’s, early 60’s and immediate pre Super Bowl era went first ballot. (Berry)

The best WR of the late 60’s and mid 70’s went first ballot. (Warfield) 

The best WR of the late 70’s to mid 80’s went first ballot (Largent)

The best WR of the mid/late. 80’s through mid 90’s went in first ballot. (Rice)

and finally, the best player of the late 90’s through 2000’s went first ballot. (Moss)

Everyone else waited. 

There's too much depth at WR now, as was the case in the T.O. / Moss era, for that system to be applied. Why should lesser players get in just because they play a different position?

If three of the era's best players play the same position, put 'em in. 2000s was a golden age for WR play, & the hall got it wrong. 

Just look at the hall's ridiculous stance on safties. Which surely will have to change as Reed, & Troy's classes draw near.  

2 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

yeah id bet anyone that fitz is going first ballot

On 6/15/2018 at 8:22 AM, PapaShogun said:

I recently thinking that perhaps Owens may not want to partake in the multiple media sessions that are a part of the HOF weekend circuit with each class. There is a ton of media there asking questions to along with multiple sit-down sessions in front of an audience. With Owens it was going to be inevitable that questions about his character concerns would arise. If you hear him in interviews over the years, he's pretty honest how he feels, and to me always seems a little bitter about something. Owens could have just wanted to avoid a **** show. Maybe he also didn't want to mingle with some of the HOF members that were going to be there that felt he shouldn't have been inducted. 

BTW, I'm guessing this is the last time Owens will be of any relevance. After the HOF festivities are over, don't see what else lies ahead for him in the football world. He is still trying to get back into the league and play, but that's not happening at age 44.

I think we're trying to make excuses for someone who made a colossal mistake in judgment. It would have been easy for Owens to tell the HOF he wasn't going to participate in the media sessions, and there were only a couple HOF players who said anything about his whining prior to getting into the Hall. And as Rod Woodson recently said, a HOF player doesn't reach this honor alone, there were people along the way who helped Owens, and this is the time to thank them. That's what mature adults do, people who don't harbor slights, don't think the world is out to get them, and don't feel entitled to have an honor in a specific time frame. It's no surprise whatsoever Owens is losing in the game of life after football, it's not about honesty, it's about reality. As impressive as Owens' career was, it would have been even better without the distractions and idiotic moments. 

On 6/13/2018 at 5:04 PM, Toddfather said:

So the police coming to his house because the "suicide attempt". His **** talking of McNabb, the push ups in the drive way, I mean it goes on man. I don't think this is just about the TD celebrations. 

See ESPN paying off cops to leak a preliminary report and report an accidentally overdose as a "suicide attempt" at 1 in the morning, because they had people stationed outside his home to spy on him. See them also ignoring the fact that Bill Parcells had just mentioned two days before, when giving an update on Owens's rehabilitation from his broken finger, that the pain killers had made Owens sick. See them ignoring that the pills he swallowed were things he had recently been subscribed for an injury he had just suffered.

He never **** talked McNabb. ESPN lied to you. Took him completely out of context. They did this because he was their villain. He was their villain because of the TD celebrations.

Re: Situps in the driveway

See ESPN reporters stalking Terrell Owens at his home after he had been sent him from camp for a week by Andy Reid and was just harmlessly shooting baskets on his driveway. See the media's helicopter flying over his house. See Owens reacting by the absurdity of this by making light of it with the driveway situps, and mentioning that they were bothering him so he figured that since they were so obsessed with him, he might as well give them a show. 

11 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

I think we're trying to make excuses for someone who made a colossal mistake in judgment. It would have been easy for Owens to tell the HOF he wasn't going to participate in the media sessions, and there were only a couple HOF players who said anything about his whining prior to getting into the Hall. And as Rod Woodson recently said, a HOF player doesn't reach this honor alone, there were people along the way who helped Owens, and this is the time to thank them. That's what mature adults do, people who don't harbor slights, don't think the world is out to get them, and don't feel entitled to have an honor in a specific time frame. It's no surprise whatsoever Owens is losing in the game of life after football, it's not about honesty, it's about reality. As impressive as Owens' career was, it would have been even better without the distractions and idiotic moments. 

But the world is out to get Owens. That's what you don't seem to realize.

They have been out to get him ever since he did the star celebrations and refused to apologize for them. 

You have no idea what it's like to be targeted by thousands of sports media members. You have no idea what it's like to have them maliciously lie about your perfectly politically correct answers to their questions, to where not only does the public think you said things you never actually said, but some of your own teammates do as well. You have no idea what it's like for those same liars to use their own lies against you to libel and slander you yet again when your name comes up for a potential award. 

Owens has already thanked all those people many times. 

And if it's about all those people who helped Owens along the way, why did the journalists insist on keeping those people who helped Owens from these nationally televised "thank yous" they supposedly deserve? 

27 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

But the world is out to get Owens. That's what you don't seem to realize.

They have been out to get him ever since he did the star celebrations and refused to apologize for them. 

You have no idea what it's like to be targeted by thousands of sports media members. You have no idea what it's like to have them maliciously lie about your perfectly politically correct answers to their questions, to where not only does the public think you said things you never actually said, but some of your own teammates do as well. You have no idea what it's like for those same liars to use their own lies against you to libel and slander you yet again when your name comes up for a potential award. 

Owens has already thanked all those people many times. 

And if it's about all those people who helped Owens along the way, why did the journalists insist on keeping those people who helped Owens from these nationally televised "thank yous" they supposedly deserve? 

Owens can't not talk to media all these years? No one is forcing him to speak on the radio, go on Undisputed, go on Dr. Phil to talk about his baby mamma drama, have one on one interviews, etc. Seems to me the best way to avoid any of that would be to pull a Marshawn Lynch or Duane Thomas. Owens won't do that though.

17 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Owens can't not talk to media all these years? No one is forcing him to speak on the radio, go on Undisputed, have one on one interviews, etc. Seems to me the best way to avoid any of that would be to pull a Marshawn Lynch or Duane Thomas. Owens won't do that though.

1. The NFL requires players to make themselves available to the media. If they want to turn a postgame answer to, "do you think it's time to consider a QB change?" that was, "that's not my position to say we need a quarterback change, but Rat did a good job when he was in there. Whoever is in there, I'm going to catch the ball. Even if it's Dorsey, I'm going to catch the ball. All of the quarterbacks can throw deep. It's all about timing," into, "Owens Spreads Blame, Calls Out Garcia," there's nothing he can do.

2. Even if he managed to evade the media lying about what he said to them, they'll just go to Anonymous Sourceville, which is what Ed Werder ended up doing in Dallas. 

Also, Marshawn Lynch and Duane Thomas have bad reputations themselves, so it didn't do them any good. 

2 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

1. The NFL requires players to make themselves available to the media. If they want to turn a postgame answer to, "do you think it's time to consider a QB change?" that was, "that's not my position to say we need a quarterback change, but Rat did a good job when he was in there. Whoever is in there, I'm going to catch the ball. Even if it's Dorsey, I'm going to catch the ball. All of the quarterbacks can throw deep. It's all about timing," into, "Owens Spreads Blame, Calls Out Garcia," there's nothing he can do.

2. Even if he managed to evade the media lying about what he said to them, they'll just go to Anonymous Sourceville, which is what Ed Werder ended up doing in Dallas. 

Also, Marshawn Lynch and Duane Thomas have bad reputations themselves, so it didn't do them any good. 

Marshawn Lynch has nowhere near the terrible reputation Owens has in regards to making statements in public that can be considered diva like, or throwing teammates under the bus. Same with Duane Thomas who is largely forgotten. I'm just talking about media. Also, he didn't speak to his teammates or coaches either. Owens can choose not to go on radio shows, TV shows, etc. He can choose to be silent. But he widely makes himself available. Another guy who didn't do media sessions for a long time was Gary Zimmerman. Again, Owens isn't forced to participate. 

NFL players are required to make themselves available to the media. There is no rule required for players to be engaging.

Reporters scoping sources isn't the same as Owens giving personal quotations.

Owens continues to make his bed, and he'll have to sleep in it.

Archived