Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

10 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

OK. You want to see what the reaction was for Terrell Owens simply not being engaging with the media? 

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/101-the-media-vs-terrell-owens/

That was in 2001. After week 2.

Other players are not in the same situation Owens was in. Not anywhere close. Gary Zimmerman...who wanted to vilify freak'n Gary Zimmerman? For what? 

Odell Beckham Jr is the closest thing to someone being where Owens was with the media after the star celebrations. We'll see where he ends up in a few years, but I don't think it's going to be pretty.

"Remember the workout in the driveway in front of the media after he was sent home by Andy Reid?" Remember how for the first time in the history of sports, the media stalked a player at his house after he had been suspended for a week from training camp and was just shooting baskets on his driveway? They even sent a helicopter flying over his house. 

Owens does some interviews because everyone asks him to. Constantly. He is actually being selective. 

If he weren't, you would have had Charlie Sheen 2011 on your hands. 

Maybe other players aren't in the same situation as Owens is, because they wised up. Gary Zimmerman stopped talking to the media after a reporter earlier in his career took something he said that was supposed to remain under wraps, and went public with it. Thing is, Zimmerman stopped talking for the rest of his career after that. Period. Owens didn't. He still went on tons of radio shows, TV shows, etc in years to follow expressing himself. Even to this day. Doesn't matter if one writer vilified him for not talking after a loss one time. Stop talking. After a win, stop talking. After a practice, stop talking. And why does he care so much about what strangers say anyways? But Owens needs to control the narrative. Owens kept talking after defending his characterization or expressing his feelings about his team good or bad. He wants to be the center of attention. It's in his nature. He doesn't have to do interviews simply because he is asked to. Again, that's on him. 

Owens could gone inside his house when he was sent home. If the media is an issue for you, wouldn't that make sense? Didn't seem to bother him then. Brett Favre was stalked outside his house too once even with a helicopter. He stayed in his house, instead of playing into the media's hands. He didn't stay outside and shoot hoops. Or play catch with his neighbors. Or bring a workout bench to his driveway and start exercising. 

Owens just isn't good at dealing with the media. Like I said earlier, the media does sensationalize stories, but Owens has played a part in how his reputation has been perceived. Getting suspended on the 49ers and Eagles didn't help matters either. NBA stars like James, Durant, or Curry have way more media exposure. Yet they've been fine, even when baited by the media. They aren't going on TV shows, and radio shows angrily defending their character or implying the world is against them. Russell Westbrook is a savage to the media, but he's not getting send home by his coaches for conduct detrimental to the team. Don't think Leonard will go on Twitter anytime soon, and put Charles Barkley on blast for recent comments about what his inner circle may or may not have said about his situation with the Spurs. Because he doesn't care.

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

In other news, the Edmonton Eskimos just signed Owens to their negotiation list.

I'm not trying to mean, but I would like to see him play at his age again. Still looks like he can contribute. Raiders might be a good spot. Gruden would ride his *** if he stepped out of line.

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Maybe other players aren't in the same situation as Owens is, because they wised up. Gary Zimmerman stopped talking to the media after a reporter earlier in his career took something he said that was supposed to remain under wraps, and went public with it. Thing is, Zimmerman stopped talking for the rest of his career after that. Period. Owens didn't. He still went on tons of radio shows, TV shows, etc in years to follow expressing himself. Even to this day. Doesn't matter if one writer vilified him for not talking after a loss one time. Stop talking. After a win, stop talking. After a practice, stop talking. And why does he care so much about what strangers say anyways? But Owens needs to control the narrative. Owens kept talking after defending his characterization or expressing his feelings about his team good or bad. He wants to be the center of attention. It's in his nature. He doesn't have to do interviews simply because he is asked to. Again, that's on him. 

Owens could gone inside his house when he was sent home. If the media is an issue for you, wouldn't that make sense? Didn't seem to bother him then. Brett Favre was stalked outside his house too once even with a helicopter. He stayed in his house, instead of playing into the media's hands. He didn't stay outside and shoot hoops. Or play catch with his neighbors. Or bring a workout bench to his driveway and start exercising. 

Owens just isn't good at dealing with the media. Like I said earlier, the media does sensationalize stories, but Owens has played a part in how his reputation has been perceived. Getting suspended on the 49ers and Eagles didn't help matters either. NBA stars like James, Durant, or Curry have way more media exposure. Yet they've been fine, even when baited by the media. They aren't going on TV shows, and radio shows angrily defending their character or implying the world is against them. Russell Westbrook is a savage to the media, but he's not getting send home by his coaches for conduct detrimental to the team. Don't think Leonard will go on Twitter anytime soon, and put Charles Barkley on blast for recent comments about what his inner circle may or may not have said about his situation with the Spurs. Because he doesn't care.

Zimmerman is not. Comparable. Again, watch the video I linked. That was where Owens was starting from. You can't compare 1980s media with a freak'n offensive linemen with a freak'n TV-dinner-blowing-up-in-the-microwave media reaction to an atomic bomb media reaction. 

Owens, after the star celebrations, was starting from a place of the sports equivalent to a Donald Trump reputation. An Adolph Hitler reputation. 

Everything he did was automatically wrong. From the moment he went to the star a second time. 

What part of "you're not allowed to not talk" do you not understand? You don't talk, you get fined. Those are the NFL's rules. 

He could avoid the big, nationally televised sitdown interviews, etc., but the postgame stuff is required. He tried to get out of it in Buffalo and was told he would be fined if he did that. And when he showed up and gave them "just going with the plays that are called," he got ripped for that, too. 

You don't seem to grasp that it didn't matter what he did. 

And what, now he's supposed to stay on house arrest because the media is being ridiculous?

After the Eagles suspended him following the Bensinger interview and refusal to comply with all their apology stipulations, he did stay inside. So ESPN took to camping out and reporting on his friends ordering a pizza and what they tipped the delivery man.

Owens summoned police to his house in Moorestown, N.J., late Monday because there were some people on his property. Owens said he wanted to be left alone, had no comment and would contact the news media when he did want to speak, police at the scene said.

Later, two pizzas were delivered to Owens' home. Someone answered the door -- not Owens -- and gave deliveryman James McDevitt a $5 tip. McDevitt said he left the tip on the door step.

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nfl/id/2216709

When the hell was Favre stalked at his house? No athlete not named O.J. Simpson has ever faced anything like that, and he was fleeing a murder charge. 

Nobody could handle the media Owens faced. A PR professional couldn't handle it. The Bills PR was stumped as to how to handle it. 

James, Curry, and Durant are not media villains. Again, they are in no way comparable. Those guys are all NBA champion superstars and never celebrated on another opponent's logo and got annihilated for it. 

Lastly, you're talking about Owens caring about what others think about him as if that is somehow unique to him, or even rare among athletes. Nearly everyone cares about what others think of them. 

Remember how Jim Everett physically attacked Jim Rome for calling him "Chris?" Remember how Richard Sherman went ESPN calling Skip Bayless a "cretin?" Remember how Donovan McNabb said he was the most unfairly criticized QB in history? 

Tons and tons of athletes are thin skinned. That's not special. What's special is being the guy who celebrated touchdowns in a way that had the media more outraged than they had ever been about any athlete doing anything in life, EVER. They were more outraged about that than they were about the leaked tapes of Ray Rice punching his fiancee. 

1 hour ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Zimmerman is not. Comparable. Again, watch the video I linked. That was where Owens was starting from. You can't compare 1980s media with a freak'n offensive linemen with a freak'n TV-dinner-blowing-up-in-the-microwave media reaction to an atomic bomb media reaction. 

Owens, after the star celebrations, was starting from a place of the sports equivalent to a Donald Trump reputation. An Adolph Hitler reputation. 

Everything he did was automatically wrong. From the moment he went to the star a second time. 

What part of "you're not allowed to not talk" do you not understand? You don't talk, you get fined. Those are the NFL's rules. 

He could avoid the big, nationally televised sitdown interviews, etc., but the postgame stuff is required. He tried to get out of it in Buffalo and was told he would be fined if he did that. And when he showed up and gave them "just going with the plays that are called," he got ripped for that, too. 

And what, now he's supposed to stay on house arrest because the media is being ridiculous?

After the Eagles suspended him following the Bensinger interview and refusal to comply with all their apology stipulations, he did stay inside. So ESPN took to camping out and reporting on his friends ordering a pizza and what they tipped the delivery man.

When the hell was Favre stalked at his house? No athlete not named O.J. Simpson has ever faced anything like that, and he was fleeing a murder charge. 

Nobody could handle the media Owens faced. A PR professional couldn't handle it. The Bills PR was stumped as to how to handle it. 

James, Curry, and Durant are not media villains. Again, they are in no way comparable. Those guys are all NBA champion superstars and never celebrated on another opponent's logo and got annihilated for it. 

Lastly, you're talking about Owens caring about what others think about him as if that is somehow unique to him, or even rare among athletes. Nearly everyone cares about what others think of them. 

Remember how Jim Everett physically attacked Jim Rome for calling him "Chris?" Remember how Richard Sherman went ESPN calling Skip Bayless a "cretin?" Remember how Donovan McNabb said he was the most unfairly criticized QB in history? 

Tons and tons of athletes are thin skinned. That's not special. What's special is being the guy who celebrated touchdowns in a way that had the media more outraged than they had ever been about any athlete doing anything in life, EVER. They were more outraged about that than they were about the leaked tapes of Ray Rice punching his fiancee. 

No, not buying it. Marshawn Lynch didn't talk at the Super Bowl or answer questions. Wasn't fined. Gary Zimmerman was never fined best to my knowledge and played until 1997, not talking the entire time. And Owens is still going on radio talk shows, going on Twitter, TV shows, or whatever of his own accord post retirement to talk about his career and how he's been wronged all these years. If Owens was told to talk by this team, he could have. Like Marshawn Lynch saying "yeah" after every single win, loss, or practice. Every single one. There is no NFL rule that states players or coaches are supposed to be engaging during interviews. None. Or else Bill Belichick would have paying fines every week for the past 15 years for his short concise, and not very informative answers or showing any emotion. 

I understand everything you're presenting as evidence of Owens being victimized in your opinion. I just don't think it's convincing. So I don't know what you want me to say. My mind hasn't been changed by anything you stated. Owens and his antics got himself in a world of trouble. Everyone else I listed, especially the NBA stars are comparable because they're bigger names, have way more media attention than Owens ever did, yet never had ridiculous antics, or cried about their characterization. Westbrook isn't a champion, so there's that. But is he getting sent home or suspended by two different head coaches? Nope. And Durant has been painted a villain by media and the NBA fan community alike. Where have you been the past two years since he signed with the Warriors? The amount of venom he's gotten is ridiculous. He even had burner accounts online he used to converse with fans because he was sensitive to what people where saying about him. Even when it was found out, he took it in stride and got over it. He's certainly not crying about being victimized at every turn. NBA players like those have it way worse. Twitter and other social media platforms are all the rage now, and they weren't around in the early 2000's. Someone like James or Durant are global icons. They also play way more than 16 games a season, and deal with the media after every game. A lot are international reporters. The media is way more in your face now, and then it was then. And it's in a profession that has more exposure. Yet those players still make it work. Even Russell Westbrook with his outbursts every so often gets by. 

Favre was followed on SportsCenter around the time he signed with the Vikings, and went to Minnesota. There was literally a helicopter flying over him when he arrived along with a huge crowd of media. I remember it well, it was ridiculous. Point is, he didn't stay outside. Not once did he go outside, bring out a workout bench, shoot hoops, or play ball with neighbors, and do situps in a driveway like a clown....essentially having a press conference. 

Look, I've said my piece. You've said yours. The way this is headed we're not going to change each other's minds. You can believe what you want to. But at the end of the day I'm not convinced that Owens troubles in his career wasn't in part of his own accord. Yeah the media can be vicious, but he's screwed himself over time and time again with his antics and behavior. I've talked way more about Terrell Owens than should be necessary.

10 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

No, not buying it. Marshawn Lynch didn't talk at the Super Bowl or answer questions. Wasn't fined. Gary Zimmerman was never fined best to my knowledge and played until 1997. And Owens is still going on radio talk shows, TV shows, or whatever of his own accord post retirement to talk about his career and how he's been wronged all these years. If Owens was told to talk by this team, he could have. Like Marshawn Lynch saying "yeah" after every single win, loss, or practice. There is no NFL rule that states players or coaches are supposed to be engaging during interviews. None. Or else Bill Belichick would have paying fines every week for the past 15 years for his short concise, and not very informative answers. 

I understand everything you're presenting as evidence of Owens being victimized in your opinion. I just don't think it's convincing. Owens and his antics got himself in a world of trouble. Everyone else I listed, especially the NBA stars are comparable because they're bigger names, have way more media attention than Owens ever did, yet never had ridiculous antics, cried about their characterization. Westbrook isn't a champion, so there's that. But is he getting sent home from practice? Nope. And Durant has been painted a villain by media and the NBA fan community alike. Where have you been the past two years since he signed with the Warriors? The amount of venom he's gotten is ridiculous. He even had burner accounts online he used to converse with fans because he was sensitive to what people where saying about him. Even when it was found out, he took it in stride and got over it. 

Favre was followed on SportsCenter around the time he signed with the Vikings, and went to Minnesota. There was literally a helicopter flying over him when he arrived along with a huge crowd of media. I remember it well, it was ridiculous. Point is, he didn't stay outside. Not once did he go outside, bring out a workout bench, shoot hoops, or play ball with neighbors, and do situps in a driveway like a clown....essentially having a press conference. 

Look, I've said my piece. You've said yours. The way this is headed we're not going to change each other's minds. You can believe what you want to. But at the end of the day I'm not convinced that Owens troubles in his career wasn't in part of his own accord. Yeah the media can be vicious, but he's screwed himself over time and time again with his antics and behavior. I've talked way more about Terrell Owens than should be necessary.

He did talk. He answered every question with, "I'm just here so I won't get fined." If Terrell Owens had done that, he would've been destroyed for it.

Who cares if Owens is doing interviews after his career ended? So does everyone else. He thinks he can clear things up by explaining them, but nobody ever listens to what he actually says.

Again, other players are not in the same situation as Owens. They can/could refuse to be engaging with the media and get away with it. Owens couldn't.

Russell Westbrook could get sent home from practice and it wouldn't get 1% of the coverage it did when Terrell Owens did. That's because Russell Westbrook wasn't put behind the 8 ball for controversial celebrations.

Kevin Durant...the main criticism of him is that people are whining about him taking the easy way out. Now it's apparently a bad thing to sign with somebody to win championships. But while NBA stars have more of a spotlight on them, there's so much more fluctuation with being a leading NBA scorer. They don't usually get cast in a purely negative light.

Owens was.

Odell Beckham Jr and Dez Bryant are in that same pure negative media boat. Nothing they can do is ever right. Bryant's career is now already in jeopardy, and Beckham Jr is only 4 years in and headed down a dangerous path. 

On 20.6.2018 at 7:16 AM, NFLExpert49 said:

Dude, are you really trying to squeeze in Trump Hitler comparisons into a long NFL post?

11 hours ago, The Hitch said:

Dude, are you really trying to squeeze in Trump Hitler comparisons into a long NFL post?

I'm using it to illustrate the level of outrage he received from sports media. PapaShogun isn't grasping how screwed he was after the star celebrations. 

The Star celebrations were so overblown. It was good entertainment. Emmit’s response was priceless. 

Say what hat you want about him being a poor teammate. His teammates had his back right after he took the shot he deserved for excessive celebration/taunting. 

17 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

The Star celebrations were so overblown. It was good entertainment. Emmit’s response was priceless. 

Say what hat you want about him being a poor teammate. His teammates had his back right after he took the shot he deserved for excessive celebration/taunting. 

Teammates aren't going to side with the opposing player in that situation, it doesn't work that way. Other Niners players and coaches were also very concerned Owens could have easily been injured on that hit by George Teague. But again, it was Owens who was the instigator. It's easy for a player to celebrate without acting like an idiot. 

On 6/23/2018 at 8:38 AM, LaserFocus said:

Teammates aren't going to side with the opposing player in that situation, it doesn't work that way. Other Niners players and coaches were also very concerned Owens could have easily been injured on that hit by George Teague. But again, it was Owens who was the instigator. It's easy for a player to celebrate without acting like an idiot. 

Owens checked with his receivers coach, George Stewart, before doing it. Stewart gave him permission. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived