Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Love his decision even more after hearing all the bitter responses from the HOF voters and fellow players in the HOF.  Good stuff #81. 

I mean, it only validates their previous thoughts about him. The people that didn't vote to him. I don't think anyone is bitter, just more of a "see, I told you so". As for the actual players Cris Carter, Shannon Sharpe, and Eric Dickerson didn't sound bitter when I heard them recently speak. Just disappointed in his decision, but they respected it. He's a grown man. 

It's gonna be funny when his video montage plays and the crowd might start booing. Or maybe that's why the HOF might not do that because he won't show up. Neither will his friends or family like they would for a deceased member. Wouldn't be a good look. 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Owens has been dropped from the Edmonton Eskimos negotiation list. Shocking.

Probably a publicity  ploy by both parties with no serious intent on signing regardless.

No surprise really.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:57 AM, seminoles1 said:

Okay, enough of this.  He badmouthed his teammates, for some reason questioned their sexuality, was disruptive in the locker room to the point his own team suspended him, and did many more things beyond the "media scumbags" supposedly lying about him.

Let me tell you how overblown the Eagles thing is, ANDY FRICKIN REID, the guy who suspendes him, is one of TOs biggest supporters and spoke to the voters on TOs behalf as did a dozen other former teammates (including HOFers) not named Donovan McNabb or Jeff Garcia.  

Ive said it before, TO isnt the first guy to get upset over waiting.  Carson said to take his name off of the voting list bc he was done.  When he was voted in he said he wouldnt go.  It took LT begging Carson for him to change his mind.  When you talk to the players who really know TO they all say the same thing, he doesnt let grudges go.  

Personally i think the whole thing is just petty.  TO isnt obligated to go. The HOF should let George Stewart induct him and have Rice accept the award on his behalf a la the oscars

9 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

just more of a "see, I told you so"

This is nonsense. I told you so?

So you are saying they kept him out deliberately because he would cause mischief? You are saying they predicted this?

If he'd gone in first ballot, as he had earned the right too, this wouldn't be a topic.

They basically set him up if what you think is what they are thinking.

39 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

This is nonsense. I told you so?

So you are saying they kept him out deliberately because he would cause mischief? You are saying they predicted this?

If he'd gone in first ballot, as he had earned the right too, this wouldn't be a topic.

They basically set him up if what you think is what they are thinking.

You misunderstand. If the voters that previously thought he was a character concern, this recent turn of events only validates what they previously thought. But doesn't necessarily mean that it effected their judgement in voting him in this year. What I stated has nothing to do with the idea of a conspiracy to keep him out. Because there were people in favor of him being there, and I think there were people that regardless of how they felt about his character knew that he belonged there so they voted. Which is why he's in. 

Not saying the HOF voters would be right to take that attitude about joining their boys club after the fact, but overall I'm saying this protest by Owens doesn't really effect anything. The same voters will continue voting the next year for a new class. And really, this is pretty much it for Owens having any kind of NFL spotlight. 

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Let me tell you how overblown the Eagles thing is, ANDY FRICKIN REID, the guy who suspendes him, is one of TOs biggest supporters and spoke to the voters on TOs behalf as did a dozen other former teammates (including HOFers) not named Donovan McNabb or Jeff Garcia.  

Ive said it before, TO isnt the first guy to get upset over waiting.  Carson said to take his name off of the voting list bc he was done.  When he was voted in he said he wouldnt go.  It took LT begging Carson for him to change his mind.  When you talk to the players who really know TO they all say the same thing, he doesnt let grudges go.  

Personally i think the whole thing is just petty.  TO isnt obligated to go. The HOF should let George Stewart induct him and have Rice accept the award on his behalf a la the oscars

Yes, it seems he doesn't get over anything. Ever. Which is really a sad way to live a life to me. 

Alan Page didn't get inducted his first go around either. Which is crazy to think about. Just went the next year. 

I don't think Owens would have anyone fly all the way to Canton for a day just to do a speech for him at a place he didn't bother showing up. Would be funny though. 

12 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I mean, it only validates their previous thoughts about him. The people that didn't vote to him. I don't think anyone is bitter, just more of a "see, I told you so". As for the actual players Cris Carter, Shannon Sharpe, and Eric Dickerson didn't sound bitter when I heard them recently speak. Just disappointed in his decision, but they respected it. He's a grown man. 

It's gonna be funny when his video montage plays and the crowd might start booing. Or maybe that's why the HOF might not do that because he won't show up. Neither will his friends or family like they would for a deceased member. Wouldn't be a good look. 

I'm not talking about Sharpe, but Carter is a moron. He is the same guy that said if he had one bullet, he would shoot TO, and when TO made the decision to skip the ceremony, he tweeted something like he was happy as it would be more enjoyable for him. He's a non-factor in all of this. 

DIckerson  didn't sound bitter at all. But he wasn't one guy I was talking about.

And you are crazy if you don't think HOF voters are bitter. You have some saying if they knew he wasn't coming, they wouldn't vote him in. Wait what? Why does it matter if he attends or not? Either he is a HOFer or not. Leave your personal feelings out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

A first. :)

But its really not.  The fact that he has so many players who were his teammates who are more than willing to go to bat for him, its pretty clear the whole "Team Obliterator" thing is an untrue narrative.  I can show you a video where skip bayless, the guy who came up with the term practically begs TO to go play for the cowboys right now at 44 years old.  You know why his teammates and coaches love him, its bc once he steps on the field, nothing is more important to TO than winning.  

Archived