Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

But its really not.  The fact that he has so many players who were his teammates who are more than willing to go to bat for him, its pretty clear the whole "Team Obliterator" thing is an untrue narrative.  I can show you a video where skip bayless, the guy who came up with the term practically begs TO to go play for the cowboys right now at 44 years old.  You know why his teammates and coaches love him, its bc once he steps on the field, nothing is more important to TO than winning.  

Just because Owens was a goon, doesn't mean he didn't care about winning, didn't work hard, and doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. The man craved attention though during his career, and was the cause of unnecessary drama at times. Him having HOF t-shirts and HOF shoes for his fellow inductees doesn't change that. 

6 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Why should the HoF recognize a guy that has only cried and pouted about the HOF and then refuses to even accept the HoF ceremony invitation?

He just gave the HoF the big f you.

Why shouldn't they be recognizing one of the greatest players ever to play in the NFL in an institution designed to celebrate the greatest players to ever play? 

Feel like that is a trick question

6 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Why should the HoF recognize a guy that has only cried and pouted about the HOF and then refuses to even accept the HoF ceremony invitation?

So let me get this straight your position is that in order to be honored for something, you have to do whatever you are told.  He has in no way disrespected the HOF, he has been as cordial and respectful as he can be both in talking about certain writers and declining his invite.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:08 AM, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

That would be awesome to witness. It would be such a train wreck.

I think it would be great if he did it in his driveway while working out. Really would seem fitting if he waited for the 2020 class to get announced before doing it.

"The writer's made me wait two years to join where I deserved to be. Now I've made them wait two years to be allowed to hear my REAL speech. Here it is..."

18 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Only saw highlights of TOs speech. Great speech. To those complaining, let it go. TO is a different guy. He holds grudges when you let him down. The whole TO wrecking teams is so overblown, to the point it is a darn right myth. 

I wouldn't say it's a myth.  I agree it is overblown and he is overall treated unfairly, but he clearly contributed to major friction on teams.  I vividly remember him doing sit up in his driveway shirtless being a huge distraction.  And the beef between he and Donovan McNabb is real.  He tried to degrade Jeff Garcia and it is obvious that Steve Mariucci didn't like Owens on the team.  It doesn't matter to me whether or not Terrell Owens went to the ceremony, but he was definitely a divisive player on at least the Eagles and probably the 49ers as well. 

9 hours ago, showtime said:

I wouldn't say it's a myth.  I agree it is overblown and he is overall treated unfairly, but he clearly contributed to major friction on teams.  I vividly remember him doing sit up in his driveway shirtless being a huge distraction.  And the beef between he and Donovan McNabb is real.  He tried to degrade Jeff Garcia and it is obvious that Steve Mariucci didn't like Owens on the team.  It doesn't matter to me whether or not Terrell Owens went to the ceremony, but he was definitely a divisive player on at least the Eagles and probably the 49ers as well. 

The thing with McNabb though is he had at least half the Eagles on his side. The reason it was "divisive" was because a large chunk agreed with him. We blame TO about it because he was vocal about it publicly while the others said nothing and McNabb pretended to be a choir boy to the media. The schism was there whether he talked publicly or not, the only difference is we knew about it.

TO was locker room cancer for your team. He was also going to be one of your best players. That's just how it was with him. Things that should be handled privately, behind closed doors TO aired out for the entire media and world to take part in - and that's a major problem in a locker room, regardless of whether or not people on the Eagles agreed with him or not. That stuff needs to be handled privately. TO was all about himself, and it always showed, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best WR's to ever play the game and shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame isn't about anything more (or shouldn't be about anymore more) than honoring the best players to ever play the game. Whether or not they want to accept that honor is completely up to them.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:52 PM, ILoveTheVikings said:

Why should he recognize a hall that just made Randy Moss a first ballot HOF but kept him out? Could it be that Randy Moss is now friends with half the HOF voters? The hall is a joke for not putting him first ballot to begin with. 

Archived