Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

just saying mcnabb was an easy person to have feud with especially when you are ball hungry like T.O. and your Qb is a lush throwing balls into the dirt at an uncanny rate.

Apparently, Terrell Owens is the easy person to have a feud with considering this went on over and over again with him.  As I said before.  I don't really recall Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb or anyone else being apart of these big feuds outside of their respective situations with Owens.  Owens is the single common denominator in all of this stuff involving the 49ers, Cowboys and Eagles.

Also, I'm not saying Owens is a bad guy because he's not.  He's not out here doing illegal and reprehensible things like quite a bit of professional athletes do.  I mostly responded in here because someone called Owens team dividing a myth.  While I agree that this stuff is overblown and he's a good guy, it's definitely not a myth.  Not at all.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Apparently, Terrell Owens is the easy person to have a feud with considering this went on over and over again with him.  As I said before.  I don't really recall Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb or anyone else being apart of these big feuds outside of their respective situations with Owens.  Owens is the single common denominator in all of this stuff involving the 49ers, Cowboys and Eagles.

Also, I'm not saying Owens is a bad guy because he's not.  He's not out here doing illegal and reprehensible things like quite a bit of professional athletes do.  I mostly responded in here because someone called Owens team dividing a myth.  While I agree that this stuff is overblown and he's a good guy, it's definitely not a myth.  Not at all.

meh Mcnabb always seemed to play the victim card his whole career they were the worst combo for each other. 

21 hours ago, showtime said:

Garcia feuded with both Butch Davis and Jon Gruden.

Steve Mariucci was fired after making the divisional round of the playoffs because he pissed off John York, Terry Donahue, and Bill Walsh. 

On 8/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

TO was locker room cancer for your team. He was also going to be one of your best players. That's just how it was with him. Things that should be handled privately, behind closed doors TO aired out for the entire media and world to take part in - and that's a major problem in a locker room, regardless of whether or not people on the Eagles agreed with him or not. That stuff needs to be handled privately. TO was all about himself, and it always showed, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best WR's to ever play the game and shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame isn't about anything more (or shouldn't be about anymore more) than honoring the best players to ever play the game. Whether or not they want to accept that honor is completely up to them.

That's not at all what happened. Owens never publicly aired anything. The media would twist perfectly diplomatic answers into things he never said for eye-grabbing headlines.

Now, they do this with every player. Tons of players have had words twisted into eye-grabbing headlines claiming they "blasted," "ripped," etc. teammates/coaches. But the difference with Owens is they repeatedly shoved their lies down everyone's throat and never let anyone forget their doctored narratives. 

Why? Because he was one of their villains because of his controversial TD celebrations. That's why they vilified him in the first place. 

After those, they lumped him in with the archetype of receiver that emerged after Keyshawn Johnson wrote the book, "Just Throw Me the Damn Ball." 

The truth of the matter is Owens was no more demanding than most receivers. Nothing he said or did was outside the norm, outside of his TD celebrations and general showmanship. 

But he was more covered than most receivers, and held to a completely different set of rules than everyone else.

The whole Romo/Witten/Garrett thing? That was 100% Ed Werder telling people stuff through anonymous sources. Owens never uttered a word of that to the media. 

And what was the claim? The claim was that Owens met with his offensive coordinator because he wanted more balls thrown his way. And we're supposed to, like, think this is newsworthy, and ignore the fact that every skill position player in professional football does this, and that coaches explicitly instruct players to air any frustrations to them with their "open door policy."

And then people are expected to freak out about the idea of Owens privately telling his friends on the team that Romo isn't throwing him the ball enough, pretending that every single player in the game doesn't do the exact same thing in private. 

It's so unbelievably ridiculous, and it's mind-boggling to me that almost nobody sees it. I realize we're dealing with sports, which aren't exactly the most intellectual thing in the world...but this is just common sense. 

53 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

That's not at all what happened. Owens never publicly aired anything. The media would twist perfectly diplomatic answers into things he never said for eye-grabbing headlines.

I’m curious - how were his comments about Jeff Garcia “diplomatic”?

17 hours ago, pwny said:

I’m curious - how were his comments about Jeff Garcia “diplomatic”?

If you're referring to "if it looks like a rat": First of all, Jeff Garcia wasn't his teammate anymore. Once players leave a team, they say whatever they want about the people they left behind. If you are going to use things Owens said about guys who aren't even his teammate, then hundreds of players are guilty of the exact same thing, including guys like Donovan McNabb for taking shots at Owens after he left. 

Secondly, talk of Garcia being gay was everywhere for years before that interview. He was the Ricky Martin of the NFL. 

But if you're referring to the real reason an actual Owens/Garcia conflict came about in 03: Following the 35-7 loss to the Vikings in which Garcia had been benched for Tim Rattay, Owens was asked whether it was time to consider a change at QB. His response was perfectly diplomatic: "Who knows? That's my position to say we need a quarterback change, but Rat did a good job when he was in there."

That is absolute textbook diplomacy. You couldn't draw it up any better. Especially when you see that he also responded to being asked whether Rattay is better at the deep ball with, "all of the quarterbacks can throw deep. It's all about timing." 

How did the media spin that? With headlines such as, "Owens Spreads Blame, Calls Out Garcia."

And then they fed Garcia the claim that Owens had "hinted at"/"suggested" a quarterback change, which naturally pissed off Garcia (who like many QBs, is uber-sensitive/thin-skinned). Garcia responded with a comment about how "we can not allow this sickness to spread," which made its way back to Owens.

The media literally caused conflict where there wasn't any previously. 

Apparently people forget that Tim Rattay was also Terrell Owens's teammate. Silly things like that happen all the time when it comes to Terrell Owens.

Had Owens instead answered it with, "no. Jeff is our guy," they would have spun it as, "Owens Rips Coaching Staff For Benching Garcia; Says Rattay Should Not Be Starter."

Archived