Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

20 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I've always heard that a good qualifier for HOF is whether or not you can tell the story of the NFL without mentioning that player, and how much you lose out on it if you do. Stats from TO and beating the 18-0 patriots and then beating them again from Manning are both big parts of that.

Really? Cause of you can’t tell the story of the NFL without Eli you probably can’t tell it without mentioning David Tyree..... so should he get in too? How about the defense that actually did the heavy lifting? 

Also why do I need WR stats to tell the story of the NFL? 

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

No one is obligated to do anything but die, him making this decision does not make him a bad person. Also, subverting forum censors like that is against the rules.

Well - by the "No one is obligated to do anything but die" barometer - just about anything goes.

I didnt say it made him a bad person. I dont know TO from a hole in the wall. What I said was it made him look like an a$$ - because he's behaving like an a$$ - as he did to multiple teams and multiple teammates over the course of his HOF career - which is EXACTLY why his terrific stats couldnt get him elected earlier - because he acted like an a$$.

Does he have the right to act like an a$$? Sure enough he does. Nobody's denying him the right.

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well - by the "No one is obligated to do anything but die" barometer - just about anything goes.

I didnt say it made him a bad person. I dont know TO from a hole in the wall. What I said was it made him look like an a$$ - because he's behaving like an a$$ - as he did to multiple teams and multiple teammates over the course of his HOF career - which is EXACTLY why his terrific stats couldnt get him elected earlier - because he acted like an a$$.

Does he have the right to act like an a$$? Sure enough he does. Nobody's denying him the right.

Whats an a dollar dollar.

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

What a shock....you ignoring facts that hurt your argument.   I guess its not hard to claim youre an "expert" when you do that.   

Obviously TO was a great player who contributed to his teams success when he WASNT in Team Obliterator mode.....but thats clearly not what we are discussing.

And?   Your logic is so embarrassingly bad.     You just blatantly ignore how the rest of the team was built, gameplans for each game, situational nuances, and a myriad of other variables that have to be considered when talking about Manning making the playoffs....all for the sake of discrediting Harrison.   

Okay....expert. 

What facts that hurt my argument?

Owens never "obliterated a team."

It's ironic how you accuse me of "ignoring how the rest of the team was built," etc., while the very notion of Owens somehow "obliterating" a team, or being a "team cancer," hinges on doing exactly that, and to a ridiculous extent.

But I already explained how Marvin Harrison actually was partly to blame for his teams' lack of playoff success. He actually failed in the playoffs...and when at full health. He got famously mauled by Ty Law in the playoffs. He was one of the softest receivers to ever play the game. 

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Let's not circumvent the language filter. It's there for a reason.

I wasnt trying to circumvent anything. I've no clue whats filtered or not. I was simply making a statement with subtlety. If that "word" (in the form used it isnt one) is considered too harsh for a football discussion forum.....well, please pass the tea and crumpets.

He earned his place in the HoF as a lock top 5 at his position all time. If he declines the invite and wants to celebrate what HE did as a football player his own way, especially after being snubbed by the Hall because he should have easily been first ballot, then that’s his choice and he’s earned it. Owens has always done his own thing so why should anyone think it would be any different in retirement. 

30 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

He earned his place in the HoF as a lock top 5 at his position all time. If he declines the invite and wants to celebrate what HE did as a football player his own way, especially after being snubbed by the Hall because he should have easily been first ballot, then that’s his choice and he’s earned it. Owens has always done his own thing so why should anyone think it would be any different in retirement. 

While I agree with all of this One would think "You'd learn from your mistakes". Snubbing your nose at the selection committee (writers) has absolutely nothing to do with the HOF Weekend itself. The HOF inductees going in with your class itself. The member/ fraternity you are now joining.

That is where he is making the mistake. It's not about who kept you out it's about the "Elite" family your now joing. Those players you are snubbing your nose at. Those many of which who waited way longer then you. He will regret this years from now like he did many things throughout his career. Unfortunately some things never change.

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

While I agree with all of this One would think "You'd learn from your mistakes". Snubbing your nose at the selection committee (writers) has absolutely nothing to do with the HOF Weekend itself. The HOF inductees going in with your class itself. The member/ fraternity you are now joining.

That is where he is making the mistake. It's not about who kept you out it's about the "Elite" family your now joing. Those players you are snubbing your nose at. Those many of which who waited way longer then you. He will regret this years from now like he did many things throughout his career. Unfortunately some things never change.

I can’t really argue with that and I hadn’t really looked at it that way. 

17 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

He will regret this years from now like he did many things throughout his career. Unfortunately some things never change.

You're observations are 1 +1 - both wrong - and right.

He wont regret one thing. TO's a Grade A / Top of the Line / Prime Cut narcissist. They dont have regrets. They have reasons.

And that - will never change.

I just want to say something right now. 

1. Jerry Rice- the GOAT WR, holds every record. 

2. Randy Moss- considered the best WR of the late 90's and early 2000's. Probably the best athlete at the position ever with the highest peaks. 

3. Steve Largent- retired with every WR record when he hung them up. 

4. Paul Warfield the greatest WR of the 70's- and early Super Bowl era

5. Ray Berry- the greatest WR of the pre Super Bowl era according to most historians. 

These were the only WR's to be inducted first ballot in the HOF since the merger. Every single one of them was a first team all decade. 

My point: It's not ridiculous that TO waited two freakin years. 

16 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I just want to say something right now. 

1. Jerry Rice- the GOAT WR, holds every record. 

2. Randy Moss- considered the best WR of the late 90's and early 2000's. Probably the best athlete at the position ever with the highest peaks. 

3. Steve Largent- retired with every WR record when he hung them up. 

4. Paul Warfield the greatest WR of the 70's- and early Super Bowl era

5. Ray Berry- the greatest WR of the pre Super Bowl era according to most historians. 

These were the only WR's to be inducted first ballot in the HOF since the merger. Every single one of them was a first team all decade. 

My point: It's not ridiculous that TO waited two freakin years. 

Don Hutson is typically considered the greatest WR of the pre Super Bowl era. 

Owens is considered by most to be the #3 guy behind Rice and Moss. Completely ridiculous to make him sit considering the class that was enshrined in 2016. 

Archived