Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Sooooooooo.....

First off, its his day.  HE is being honored, not the HOF.  If he truly wants to celebrate it at home with family and friends and let his inductor speak for him, thats his choice and really doesnt affect anybody else but TO and people should stop acting like it does. If its a financial issue and it means that much to the HOF and the voters, then they should foot the bill.  As for hindering his teams chances of winning.  Thats an absolute joke of a statement.  Im not sure anyone other than Rice can say they played as hard as TO every snap.  And lets not forget, if not for an Adam Vinatieri fg, TO becomes the first WR superbowl mvp, 7 weeks after what should have been a season ending injury.  Finally show me a team that got better after Owens left...ill wait

Well, Cowboys didn't miss a beat the season after Owens left. I think Miles Austin had that career year the season after he was gone. Cowboys didn't make the playoffs in the last year Owens was there. The next season they went to the divisional round.  Eagles went back to the playoffs in 2006, the season after they missed them with Owens on the roster in 2005. Also, when Owens went to the Bengals and BIlls, it didn't do anything for them. Bengals actually made the playoffs the year after he left. 

A receiver like Owens is a luxury, but not a necessity. He doesn't play at a position like QB, OT, CB, or EDGE rusher. Also, you can't really generalize every wide receiver that has ever played in the NFL as far as their desire on every snap. Even if they aren't as talented as Owens is naturally, it doesn't mean that they aren't going hard on every play. 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

TO retired as 2nd all time leader in yards and 3rd in TDs and that’s not enough? Smh

Soo.... that’s not what I said. I didn’t say they were second and third in those stats. They owned the records. 

Berry was leading in two major all time stats when he retired (Maynard caught him later). Largent and Rice held the record for all 3 major receiving stats all time when they both respectively retired. Warfield has the current record for yards per reception with 300 or more receptions. Moss has the single season TD record which is a historically significant record as all skill position TD records are. 

You’re saying TO finished high in a lot of stats when nobody who didn’t own some type of major record got in first ballot. 

2nd all time in yards and TD’s isn’t impressive when most of the guys who got in first ballot in the last 50 years retired first and the ones who didn’t had other records. 

Nor is being the third best WR of all time impressive when none of them were considered as low as third. 

Especislly when every single one of them was First Team All Decade. Every single one of them retired with a real argument for GOAT (even Moss and if you don’t think he has one, go make a thread in the comparison section and see what some people say).

The threshold for a WR is higher and got even worse in the early 90’s. In the last 30 years two of the HOF WR’s owners the all time stats in receptions, yards, touchdowns when they hung them up. The other was Randy Moss who is almost universally viewed as the most talented WR of all time with the highest peaks who owns a significant single season record. 

Thats who TO should be compared to. Not the guys who waited. The guys who didn’t. Because that’s what we are arguing over

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Well, Cowboys didn't miss a beat the season after Owens left. I think Miles Austin had that career year the season after he was gone. Cowboys didn't make the playoffs in the last year Owens was there. The next season they went to the divisional round.  Eagles went back to the playoffs in 2006, the season after they missed them with Owens on the roster in 2005. Also, when Owens went to the Bengals and BIlls, it didn't do anything for them. Bengals actually made the playoffs the year after he left. 

A receiver like Owens is a luxury, but not a necessity. He doesn't play at a position like QB, OT, CB, or EDGE rusher. Also, you can't really generalize every wide receiver that has ever played in the NFL as far as their desire on every snap. Even if they aren't as talented as Owens is naturally, it doesn't mean that they aren't going hard on every play. 

The Lions went 0-16 with Calvin Johnson having a huge year in 2008, essentially demonstrating that a WR in and of himself isn't worth a single win.

They also made the playoffs the year after he retired after missing them his last year. 

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ah yes, nothing says class like sending unsolicited pics of your junk to a reporter while married to a breast cancer survivor.

Moss certainly wasn't an altar boy with several incidents in his past. Having paid out money for hitting a woman with his car while high and having done 1 month in jail for domestic battery and two months later for showing up at the jail while high.

Ray Lewis probably killed a man or at least attempted to destroy evidence of a murder.

Owens has his issues with his child support and what not, but let's not act like this is some group of saints being inducted here.

What does that have to do with Kramer? I also said even Moss grew up. T.O. Will never grow up. He's throwing a fit because he had to wait 3 years. That's why I compared to Kramer. If anyone had a reason to say F off to the hof it's him. However the past is the past and he is enjoying his moment.

My point wasn't only perfect people are in, it's about being an adult. T.O. has shown time and time again, he is not.

2 hours ago, Toddfather said:

What does that have to do with Kramer? I also said even Moss grew up. T.O. Will never grow up. He's throwing a fit because he had to wait 3 years. That's why I compared to Kramer. If anyone had a reason to say F off to the hof it's him. However the past is the past and he is enjoying his moment.

My point wasn't only perfect people are in, it's about being an adult. T.O. has shown time and time again, he is not.

Kramer was a borderline HOF. Owens was not. 

Kramer should be grateful to finally get in. He wasn't a first ballot caliber player. He wasn't even a clear HOF level player. 

3 hours ago, Toddfather said:

Did Jerry Kramer have his character repeatedly attacked for more than a decade by a bunch of liars who decided he was a villain solely because of some harmless TD celebrations? 

15 hours ago, Toddfather said:

Henry Carson at one point said he wasnt going to his induction and it actually took LT begging him to do it in order for him to go.  Its not unheard of for players to take it personally how long they have to wait.  Kramer also was a senior committee selection and has had plenty of time to get over not being voted in by the writers for nearly 20 years.  TO was a first ballot HOFer who had to wait 3 years bc the a bunch of newspaper guys decided THEY wanted to send a message to him.  On top of that, the same day they vote him in, at least one guy tweets at him to say "do you get it now?".  Part of me wonders if TO is staying away simply bc he doesnt want to go to jail for knocking one of these fools out.  The way the voters handles Cris Carter and now TO, is an absolute joke and a travesty.  I mean i dont want to break the rules but there is something awfully problematic (not something i say frequently) in a bunch of old white men using their vote to send a message to the black player about getting "out of line".  

First ballot for TO? Are you ridiculous? Yes he deserves to get in, but there has been a known log jam, especially at WR for years, and while TO was great, at no point was he ever the greatest. There were always guys better. Not surprising it was always going to take a few years for him to get in.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

First ballot for TO? Are you ridiculous? Yes he deserves to get in, but there has been a known log jam, especially at WR for years, and while TO was great, at no point was he ever the greatest. There were always guys better. Not surprising it was always going to take a few years for him to get in.

#2 in yards and #3 in TDs and you think its not clear hes a first ballot on his play?  Idc what kind of logjam you have, when the only players in your company are first ballot HOFers, you are a first ballot HOFer

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Henry Carson at one point said he wasnt going to his induction and it actually took LT begging him to do it in order for him to go.  Its not unheard of for players to take it personally how long they have to wait.  Kramer also was a senior committee selection and has had plenty of time to get over not being voted in by the writers for nearly 20 years.  TO was a first ballot HOFer who had to wait 3 years bc the a bunch of newspaper guys decided THEY wanted to send a message to him.  On top of that, the same day they vote him in, at least one guy tweets at him to say "do you get it now?".  Part of me wonders if TO is staying away simply bc he doesnt want to go to jail for knocking one of these fools out.  The way the voters handles Cris Carter and now TO, is an absolute joke and a travesty.  I mean i dont want to break the rules but there is something awfully problematic (not something i say frequently) in a bunch of old white men using their vote to send a message to the black player about getting "out of line".  

Completely ignoring the race thing, your point about the unequal application of the selection criteria is completely legitimate. 

Stop comparing to the hypothetical WR rankings and compare him to the 2016 class and tell me didn't get snubbed. 

Terrell Owens was a 5-time first team All Pro. At plenty of points he was the greatest of his era. 

Archived