Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

TO is better than Marvin Harrison and has a strong argument for being the third best at his position ever.

Statistically speaking, which are the merits that the Hall looks at, Harrison and TO had near identical careers. Except Harrison won a Super Bowl. We can argue that Peyton was the driving force of Harrison's statistics and accomplishments, but the Hall doesn't. Harrison's merits stand on their own, as nearly identical to that of TO. The only real difference is that TO played out his two sub-1000 years while Harrison retired.

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yeah, going to have to disagree with you there.

What else do they look at?

Super Bowls? Harrison has 1, TO has zero. 

Pro Bowls? Harrison has 8, TO has 6.

All Pro selections? Harrison has 8, TO has 5.

Single season statistic leads? Harrison has 5, TO has 3.

TO doesn't have a reason to be upset when a similarly accomplished player at the same position had to wait the same amount of time to get in.

9 minutes ago, iPwn said:

TO doesn't have a reason to be upset when a similarly accomplished player at the same position had to wait the same amount of time to get in.

Maybe both have a reason to be upset . . . .

10 minutes ago, iPwn said:

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Maybe both have a reason to be upset . . . .

Maybe. But that would be an issue with the process, wherein highly accomplished receivers are being asked to wait uniformly. But that's not not the Hall turning their nose up at him, which is what was what I was responding to originally.

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Maybe. But that would be an issue with the process, wherein highly accomplished receivers are being asked to wait uniformly. But that's not not the Hall turning their nose up at him, which is what was what I was responding to originally.

Marvin had a checkered past too. Maybe the Hall turned their noses up at both.

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I can see being pissed. The HOF stuck their nose up at him.

Lots of star players get passed over and plenty of them have gotten pissed about it over the years. Took Jerry Kramer 54 years and he wasn't too happy about it

But, its what you do next that really matters. And so, far all 310 enshrined members managed to show up and honor the Honor.

There's an immense difference between being pissed and being a douchebag -  and TO still hasn't figured that part out yet.

Here's a smattering of HOF guys who waited 15 + years.  Every one of them showed up for the ceremony   (unless they were already dead)

15-24 year wait: Lem Barney (15), Elvin Bethea (20), Buck Buchanan (15), Harry Carson (18), Dave Casper (19), Fred Dean (23), Joe DeLamielleure (19), Mike Ditka (16), Carl Eller (16), Russ Grimm (19), Paul Hornung (20), Don Hutson (18), Rickey Jackson (15), Jimmy Johnson (18), John Henry Johnson (21), Leroy Kelly (21), Tom Mack (21), John Mackey (20), Bobby Mitchell (15), Bronco Nagurski (20), Mel Renfro (19), Jackie Smith (16), John Stallworth (15), Fran Tarkenton (15), Andre Tippett (15), Willie Wood (18), Ron Yary (19) and Jack Youngblood (17).

25 year wait and longer: Bob "Boomer" Brown (31), Nick Buoniconti (25), Jack Butler (53), Red Grange (36), Chris Hanburger (33), Bob Hayes (34), Gene Hickerson (34), Henry Jordan (26), Floyd Little (35), Ernie Nevers (32), Charlie Sanders (30), Billy Shaw (30), Emmitt Thomas (30), Jim Thorpe (35), Roger Wehrli (25), Dave Wilcox (26) and Rayfield Wright (27).

15 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Lots of star players get passed over and plenty of them have gotten pissed about it over the years. Took Jerry Kramer 54 years and he wasn't too happy about it

But, its what you do next that really matters. And so, far all 310 enshrined members managed to show up and honor the Honor.

There's an immense difference between being pissed and being a douchebag -  and TO still hasn't figured that part out yet.

Here's a smattering of HOF guys who waited 15 + years.  Every one of them showed up for the ceremony   (unless they were already dead)

15-24 year wait: Lem Barney (15), Elvin Bethea (20), Buck Buchanan (15), Harry Carson (18), Dave Casper (19), Fred Dean (23), Joe DeLamielleure (19), Mike Ditka (16), Carl Eller (16), Russ Grimm (19), Paul Hornung (20), Don Hutson (18), Rickey Jackson (15), Jimmy Johnson (18), John Henry Johnson (21), Leroy Kelly (21), Tom Mack (21), John Mackey (20), Bobby Mitchell (15), Bronco Nagurski (20), Mel Renfro (19), Jackie Smith (16), John Stallworth (15), Fran Tarkenton (15), Andre Tippett (15), Willie Wood (18), Ron Yary (19) and Jack Youngblood (17).

25 year wait and longer: Bob "Boomer" Brown (31), Nick Buoniconti (25), Jack Butler (53), Red Grange (36), Chris Hanburger (33), Bob Hayes (34), Gene Hickerson (34), Henry Jordan (26), Floyd Little (35), Ernie Nevers (32), Charlie Sanders (30), Billy Shaw (30), Emmitt Thomas (30), Jim Thorpe (35), Roger Wehrli (25), Dave Wilcox (26) and Rayfield Wright (27).

The HOF opened in 1963.

Red Grange, Don Hutson, Bronko Nagurski, Ernie Nevers, and Jim Thorpe were in the inaugural class.

Most of the guys you listed were waiting for the damn HOF to open. When the HOF first opened there then was a huge back log of players they had to process. It's not like the HOF cared that there was a huge backlog. Every ceremony brought in attendance.

The HOF introduced by year:

63: 17

64: 7 

65: 7

66: 8

67: 8

68: 7

69: 5

70: 4

71: 7

72: 4

73: 3

74: 4

+++++++++++++

It's also worthless to pretend that TO was left out because he was beat out by better players. 

The 2016 class had:

Brett Favre (No complaint)

Kevin Greene (Owens was a better player)

Marvin Harrison (Owens was a better player)

Orlando Pace (No complaint)

Ken Stabler (Owens was a better player)

**** Stanfel (I have no idea. The man played in 73 games in his career at Guard, I'm assuming Owens had  a better resume)

Owens had a better resume than 5 of the non legacy inductees in his year. I believe Stanfel wasn't a legacy inductee, could be wrong there. 

The media made it very clear that people weren't voting for Owens due to personal dislike of the man rather than the player on the field. 

You can sat that opinion is valid, but if I'm Owens, I'm pissed at the NFL media and don't really feel any need to stand in a celebratory NFL circle jerk

37 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cause he's the only one? Why would you want to stick up for a turd like TO?

Never said he's the only one. 

I don't even want to be sticking up for TO.

I just think don't understand why anyone would be critical of him. He had a first ballot HOF career and was denied that by a bunch of self-righteous, pretentious, geriatrics who remain bitter at the internet for destroying their 16 hour work week. 

Archived