Owens declines HoF Ceremony Invitation

WizardHawk

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I really don't have a problem with it. Seems a little childish because I never give TO the benefit of the doubt (he cries for HOF validation for years, which he rightfully earned, but now that he's got it, he's basically saying he doesn't need or want it, in my opinion. That may not be what he's doing, but again, sort of lost the benefit of the doubt that there is some benevolent reasoning behind this), but I would get the appeal of maybe having it up on the big screen, having a big HOF gathering at some place with family and friends (and hey, maybe even willingly paying participants / fans) to celebrate with. 

It's classless beyond words, because the HOF isn't just about receiving notification about being elected. Owens could have easily celebrated at both Canton and at another location later. As far as this idea he's upset about not being a first ballot, who cares? That would be extremely petty, the HOF doesn't have special sections for first ballot inductees. Any person knows his troublemaker history was going to be an issue, the wait wasn't very long at all. Owens has succeeded in making his HOF induction an afterthought, out of sight out of mind. And since this is all about TO, we won't be seeing him at future ceremonies.

Selfish act, and I hope the HOF keeps the gold jacket. This will also affect past, current, and future potential HOF players with a troubled past. No good excuse not to attend the ceremony and be grateful for the honor. Owens hasn't been successful in his post-playing career, and this is another misstep.  

1 minute ago, LaserFocus said:

It's classless beyond words, because the HOF isn't just about receiving notification about being elected. Owens could have easily celebrated at both Canton and at another location later. As far as this idea he's upset about not being a first ballot, who cares? That would be extremely petty, the HOF doesn't have special sections for first ballot inductees. Any person knows his troublemaker history was going to be an issue, the wait wasn't very long at all. Owens has succeeded in making his HOF induction an afterthought, out of sight out of mind. And since this is all about TO, we won't be seeing him at future ceremonies.

Selfish act, and I hope the HOF keeps the gold jacket. This will also affect past, current, and future potential HOF players with a troubled past. No good excuse not to attend the ceremony and be grateful for the honor. Owens hasn't been successful in his post-playing career, and this is another misstep.  

Players with far more significant sins were punished far less harshly than he was. He was treated unfairly. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Never said he's the only one. 

I don't even want to be sticking up for TO.

I just think don't understand why anyone would be critical of him. He had a first ballot HOF career and was denied that by a bunch of self-righteous, pretentious, geriatrics who remain bitter at the internet for destroying their 16 hour work week. 

They didn't want him in for a reason, a reason he's literally proving them right on as of today. Should he be in? Absolutely. I can see why they didn't want him however.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I just think don't understand why anyone would be critical of him. He had a first ballot HOF career and was denied that by a bunch of self-righteous, pretentious, geriatrics who remain bitter at the internet for destroying their 16 hour work week. 

Really? Guy has carved out a solid career out setting himself up to be a target for criticism, by being a me first, cancer. He'll probably change his mind and show once he realizes all the attention he could get. Maybe he'll do some sit-ups instead of giving a speech.  

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

Really? Guy has carved out a solid career out setting himself up to be a target for criticism, by being a me first, cancer. He'll probably change his mind and show once he realizes all the attention he could get. Maybe he'll do some sit-ups instead of giving a speech.  

Probably will be there. Doesn't mean the selection criteria isn't inconsistent as hell.

Either the off the field stuff matters and guys like Hourning, Blount, Irvin, LT shouldn't be included, or the off the field stuff doesn't matter and TO was jobbed. 

Some people might think TO is getting one over on the HOF for snubbing him for a few years. The reality is every single one of them who voted to keep him out probably feels validated right now that TO went on a multi year crybaby campaign to get in and then when he did he decided to turn what is an honor that everyone shows up to into another "all about me" TO showboating thing that's alienating him from the players in his HOF class and the rest of the HOF members. Aka TO is being another distraction to his new "team". Yeah the HOF was completely justified. They didn't want this joke making a mockery of what many players consider the ultimate honor. It's a slap in the face to the players who defended him.

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

No. It's pretty obvious that he's been snubbed up to this point.

In the modern era only Jerry Rice (GOAT WR) and Randy Moss (2nd best and probably best athlete ever at the position) made it in first ballot. Even Cris Carter had to wait. It's not a big deal, and to be honest, TO is proving them right for all the reasons they wanted him to wait a bit. 

What T.O. did is a damn insult to the Hall of Fame.  I assume he is the only player who did not personally attend the ceremony who was not already dead?

So he is going to what, have a Hall of Fame party for himself where people or "fans" of his have to pay to get in and celebrate with him because he is so broke and needs the money?  That is the only thing that would be a reason why he would not take part in that historic ceremony, to celebrate and make some kind of profit off it.  Hell, good he was snubbed for two years, and by this move looks like it should have been for another two to five year wait for him acting like this.

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

In the modern era only Jerry Rice (GOAT WR) and Randy Moss (2nd best and probably best athlete ever at the position) made it in first ballot. Even Cris Carter had to wait. It's not a big deal, and to be honest, TO is proving them right for all the reasons they wanted him to wait a bit. 

So I assume that you, personally, know his motives behind electing to not be there?

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

What else do they look at?

Super Bowls? Harrison has 1, TO has zero. 

Pro Bowls? Harrison has 8, TO has 6.

All Pro selections? Harrison has 8, TO has 5.

Single season statistic leads? Harrison has 5, TO has 3.

TO doesn't have a reason to be upset when a similarly accomplished player at the same position had to wait the same amount of time to get in.

Locker rooms destroyed... 

TO -  2

Harrison -  0

26 minutes ago, lancerman said:

TO and Cris Carter don't belong in the same sentence man. 

All you people are being mad disingenuous. What other player in the hall that is near universally considered the 3rd best at his position ever snubbed for the hall of fame for consecutive years. 

Archived