The Travel Thread

So who has been where? And what trips do you have lined up?

My first out of country trip was last January. Went to Cebu, Philippines. 

My next out of country trip will be a combination of Prague, Czech Republic and Wroclaw, Poland in September. Followed by Japan in January. 

Countries on my to do list after these trips:

- Bilbao and Barcelona, Spain

- Rome and Venice, Italy

- Innsbruk and Salzburg, Austria

- Ghent, Bruge, and Brussels, Belgium

- Seoul, South Korea

- Hong Kong

- Dublin, Ireland

44 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I'm so confused. Did someone delete the previous travel thread?

I only saw a travel help thread which is based on deals, what to do, etc. Not a thread to share experiences from what I saw.

Just now, BayRaider said:

I only saw a travel help thread which is based on deals, what to do, etc. Not a thread to share experiences from what I saw.

Yeah, but I'm saying I don't even see that thread in the past 2 pages, and I thought folks had posted in it recently, so I'm just wondering if it had gotten deleted. I don't think there's anything wrong with this thread. :P

Spent a week in Ho Chi Minh City and Nha Trung. 

HCMC is a pretty dope city. Going there from Hanoi was like teleporting 10 years into the future.

Nha Trang is a chill beach city, surprisingly full of Russians.

If I was to rank Vietnam destinations...

1. Ha Giang Loop

2. Ninh Binh

3. Ho Chi Minh City

4. Mai Chau

5. Hanoi

Still need to check out Ha Long. Gonna avoid Sapa like the plague. Too many tourists and EuroBackpackers.

Next week ill be heading to Siem Reap to check out Angkor Watt. 

• Like 2

On Sat Jun 16 2018 at 3:55 PM, animaltested said:

Next week ill be heading to Siem Reap to check out Angkor Watt. 

Angkor Wat is pretty incredible. I went there a few years ago now. Woke up early and watched the sunrise there, great experience.

I was in Singapore a couple of weeks ago. What a city. Probably my favourite city I've visited.

15 minutes ago, kempus said:

Angkor Wat is pretty incredible. I went there a few years ago now. Woke up early and watched the sunrise there, great experience.

Wayyyyyyyyy too many tourists though.

Also you should always get there early, not just for the sunrise, but also to avoid the afternoon heat. We had a great tuk tuk driver who took us everywhere.

27 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Wayyyyyyyyy too many tourists though.

Also you should always get there early, not just for the sunrise, but also to avoid the afternoon heat. We had a great tuk tuk driver who took us everywhere.

Yeah, the tourists are to be expected. You can still find fairly secluded areas if you walk around a bit, though.

2 minutes ago, kempus said:

Yeah, the tourists are to be expected. You can still find fairly secluded areas if you walk around a bit, though.

Yeah true, most tourists just wait by the water or entrance. I remember when I went last year and when they "opened" a stampede of people trying to get inside. Was mad.

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

Yeah true, most tourists just wait by the water or entrance. I remember when I went last year and when they "opened" a stampede of people trying to get inside. Was mad.

When I went to Machu Picchu last year, there was a large stampede of people heading up to the sun gate as I and the rest of my group hiked down from it. The Sun Gate is the entrance from doing the multi day hike to get there. I was both mad at and resentful of all those people going the wrong way on the narrow path. Made me feel like a terrible person for how annoyed I was by them. I think it's just part of the experience because basically everyone I've talked to that has hiked hiked the Inca Trail felt that way. 

I really need to get to South East Asia soon, especially while I'm still young-ish. Would love to do a long backbacking trip through Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam but I don't think I'll ever have that kind of time off. Best plan would probably be to get fired and collect severance pay. 

Edited by skywindO2

43 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I really need to get to South East Asia soon, especially while I'm still young-ish. Would love to do a long backbacking trip through Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam but I don't think I'll ever have that kind of time off. Best plan would probably be to get fired and collect severance pay. 

For a cheap trip, SEA is fantastic. All of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines are awesome. Philippines is probably the least spoilt and least touristy of the 4, but all of them have great features. Vietnam is the country I enjoyed the least, but Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh are both really cool cities.