The Travel Thread

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I wonder how soon they'll let people travel for pleasure. Will it have to wait for a vaccine? 

It cant wait that long.  Borders will start to open over the summer.  

There's no reason to prohibit travel between countries with similar levels of the virus and similar virus responses.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:57 PM, 49ersfan said:

I wonder how soon they'll let people travel for pleasure. Will it have to wait for a vaccine? 

I really wanted to go to Europe, or Japan/Korea this year...guess it'll have to wait a while

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. We had a trip to Ireland that was already pushed. 

But I also had initial plans to head to Vienna for a bit this year (along with quick trips while doing that to Budapest, Prague, Bratislava), and then another trip to Costa Rica this year. I have no idea when I can feel comfortable scheduling them for

• 2 weeks later...

Do trains rides that act like cruise ships exist?? You know, you sleep on the train, wake up in a different city, go out and about them get back on your train and wake up in another city? Anyone ever done anything like this?

Edit: Specifically thinking of Europe here

Edited by JTagg7754

7 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Do trains rides that act like cruise ships exist?? You know, you sleep on the train, wake up in a different city, go out and about them get back on your train and wake up in another city? Anyone ever done anything like this?

Edit: Specifically thinking of Europe here

Like this? https://www.jetsetter.com/magazine/european-train-tour/

I know India does them. We used a tour company to help us book on the Trans-Siberian. That would work though you’ll change trains. Booked our own cabin and then a car picks you up and tour guide took us around so we didn’t have to worry about our bags. Then get on a new train later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Like this? https://www.jetsetter.com/magazine/european-train-tour/

I know India does them. We used a tour company to help us book on the Trans-Siberian. That would work though you’ll change trains. Booked our own cabin and then a car picks you up and tour guide took us around so we didn’t have to worry about our bags. Then get on a new train later. 

I mean, those look incredible. I did a basic search but didn't come across that. I feel like I need to look more into those. Cruises are great but you only get ports and not the cities that lie within mainland. Thanks for the link!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friendos!

I am actually on hold with Royal Carribean customer service to cancel our honeymoon cruise in October, and I need alternatives.

Here's my dream scenario:
Relatively not too expensive
I want to drink and go out and have a good time if I can
Beaches are preferable

I do NOT have my passport currently, it expired and my fiancee has never gotten one. Anyway, whatcha got?

19 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Hello friendos!

I am actually on hold with Royal Carribean customer service to cancel our honeymoon cruise in October, and I need alternatives.

Here's my dream scenario:
Relatively not too expensive
I want to drink and go out and have a good time if I can
Beaches are preferable

I do NOT have my passport currently, it expired and my fiancee has never gotten one. Anyway, whatcha got?

Key West/the Keys.

New Orleans is another option depending on if you and your wife have a grimey side (and I mean that in the best way).

A couple nights in NO, couple nights at a resort along the gulf?

If you want a beach that will be warm enough to swim though, you’re probably looking at south Florida or SPI.

7 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

what's the outlook of visiting Cancun in October

Depends on size and timing of a wave 2 but I'd say very likely it will be possible 

If you were talking more short term, like late June or July, I'd say nearly 100% chance it will be possible 

• Like 1

https://www.traveloffpath.com/cancun-reopening-to-tourists-by-june-10th-says-governor-of-quintana-roo/

And the ban on non-essential travel into Mexico by US nationals only applies at the land border, not to air travel, so by mid-June you should be able to get your Mexican beach vacation in if you are willing to take the risk

Sadly while the same is technically true for Canada @JBURGE mounties are enforcing the same rules practically speaking so no vacations up north until at least June 21st.  I'm cautiously optimistic they open the border and get rid of the 14 day quarantine by early/mid July

Edited by mission27