The Travel Thread

I need to get out to the East coast. Been to Florida twice and that’s it over there. 

I’m not very well travelled, been to Honduras 3 different times and spent over a month there. Would love to get back if it ever becomes the not most dangerous place in the world again. 

Also been to Hawaii, but I can’t say much about it that people don’t already know. It’s a really beautiful and unique place. Been all over the Western US and that’s about it 

Also was all over British Columbia as a kid visiting relatives. Not much to speak of, Vancouver is cool 

14 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I'm at 40 countries in the last 5 years. Will eventually get to South America and Central America. My wife wants to do an Antarctica trip, but I told her only if we take a job in Saudi next year.

Are you planning to move into one of their American compounds? 

On 6/19/2018 at 10:20 PM, DoleINGout said:

interesting lifestyle. how do you do it?

I have taught in international schools the last 5 years. Travel is incredibly cheap in SE Asia, especially once you aren't paying for a flight out of the US. 

On 6/20/2018 at 9:01 AM, skywindO2 said:

Are you planning to move into one of their American compounds? 

Yeah. Assuming they're hiring for our positions next year.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:32 PM, kempus said:

Yeah, the tourists are to be expected. You can still find fairly secluded areas if you walk around a bit, though.

Our tourguide was clutch. He took us in the back way [Starting behind Angkor Watt] for two reason, 1) Avoid Tourists 2) Sun behind us = better pictures. Dude was a boss. Also the guy was keen on helping us avoid the large groups of Chinese mega-groups. 

Siem Reap is an awesome place for foreigners. They just understand  how-to tourism there.  Coming from living in Vietnam, Siem Reap seems ridiculously expensive though. Had a blast though. 

7 hours ago, animaltested said:

Second.

Did a Beijing => X'ian trip. Hands down the most fun [besides Osaka] I have had. 

I'm biased as I live here and have done so for the past 6 years ha. However, China is almost unrivalled in the range and variety of things you can do. It's places such as Guilin and Yunnan that make it so great to travel, imo. It's relatively cheap too. Especially in comparison to Europe, North America and Japan.

2 hours ago, kempus said:

I'm biased as I live here and have done so for the past 6 years ha. However, China is almost unrivalled in the range and variety of things you can do. It's places such as Guilin and Yunnan that make it so great to travel, imo. It's relatively cheap too. Especially in comparison to Europe, North America and Japan.

How is it practical to travel China with a language barrier?

41 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

How is it practical to travel China with a language barrier?

It really depends where you go. The big cities are very accessible even for people who don't speak any Chinese. Tourist hotspots are the same. It's only the more far flung places which are more of a challenge. Even then, it's not harder than any other the other East Asian countries where English isn't predominantly spoken. China has become much more multi lingual in the past few years too and that's only going to continue in the future.