Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Longhorns90

Houston S Hal diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Recommended Posts

 

Wishing him all the best. One of our O-linemen, David Quessenberry, went through treatment for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma over the past few years and finally got back on to the field last year - here's hoping Hal can recover quickly as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Best of luck to him, that’s tough news.

Edited by Yin-Yang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Wish him the best. What's the prognosis for this?

It's the same thing Eric Berry had - it's pretty good if you catch it early. That said, cancer is always a tough bout, regardless of the circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Longhorns90 said:

It's the same thing Eric Berry had - it's pretty good if you catch it early. That said, cancer is always a tough bout, regardless of the circumstances.

There are more than 16 different types of leukemia, broadly speaking I think there are two main types of leukemia. There is huge variability in how treatment is received among the different types. Unless there are some significantly more advanced treatments in the states, I think the treatment options for the variability of disease is more of a blunt instrument approach, they all get similar treatments.  

One of my friends is a research scientist studying one type of non curable leukemia, which only one guy has beat (well he beat it for two years, when the normal survival time is about 6 weeks).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

There are more than 16 different types of leukemia, broadly speaking I think there are two main types of leukemia. There is huge variability in how treatment is received among the different types. Unless there are some significantly more advanced treatments in the states, I think the treatment options for the variability of disease is more of a blunt instrument approach, they all get similar treatments.  

One of my friends is a research scientist studying one type of non curable leukemia, which only one guy has beat (well he beat it for two years, when the normal survival time is about 6 weeks).  

When I say "it's the same thing as Eric Berry had", it appears to be the same type of lymphoma. According to wiki, it's an 86% 5-year survival rate that goes higher the younger you are when you get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy hell, wishing Hal the best. First DQ, now Hal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jesus christ man. it's terrifying hearing young people get these diagnoses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancer doesn't care how old you are, how rich you are or how healthy you are.

Hope he gets through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

There are more than 16 different types of leukemia, broadly speaking I think there are two main types of leukemia. There is huge variability in how treatment is received among the different types. Unless there are some significantly more advanced treatments in the states, I think the treatment options for the variability of disease is more of a blunt instrument approach, they all get similar treatments.  

One of my friends is a research scientist studying one type of non curable leukemia, which only one guy has beat (well he beat it for two years, when the normal survival time is about 6 weeks).  

 

16 hours ago, Longhorns90 said:

When I say "it's the same thing as Eric Berry had", it appears to be the same type of lymphoma. According to wiki, it's an 86% 5-year survival rate that goes higher the younger you are when you get it.

That's generally true, but there are so many more factors that go into cancer therapy these days.   FYI, while both leukemia and lymphoma are cancers of the blood/lymphatic system,  each subtype is very different (Hodgkins vs. Non-Hodgkins is a huge difference, just like lymphoma vs. leukemia is a huge distinction).    What works in Hal's favor is his elite athleticism will also allow him to tolerate the most aggressive therapies around.     He'll no doubt get access to the most up-to-date therapy options, too.    Those are huge factors.     And unlike pretty much every other form of lymphoma, in Hodgkin's the extent of disease does actually influence survival, along with subtype and host ability to receive/tolerate treatment.   So hopefully he has limited disease (unlike pretty much every other form of lymphoma, it wouldn't make a difference, by its nature the other forms are considered widespread, because they involve the blood/lymphatic system).

It's still a scary diagnosis, and rightfully so.  While people quote 5-year survival rates, for a guy like Hal, it's 15-year survival that casts a more global picture for him.   Obviously, the data can't be up-to-minute reflective, because you need a large enough population to measure that kind of follow-up, but as of 2013, 15-year survival rates were 48% to 67% depending on stage.   That shows how terrible the disease is (and yet still it's one of the longest profiles survival wise out there for any form of blood-related cancer or cancer that targets young adults - no one ever wants cancer, but there are a few with longer survival odds with disease that's not widespread, and a lot of ones with much, much worse profiles).

We can only hope the best for Hal, and hope he can get a short-term response like Berry did.    After that, well, the longer he lives, the more hopeful that he's in that great outcome cohort, and of course, the likelihood more options come down the pipeline.    It seems like a minor thing, but with 5 years of NFL service time accrued after this year (the cutoff being 4 IIRC), Hal also qualifies for NFL pension, and 10 years of medical care from the NFL after retirement (which we don't know when, obv) - so while you never want to hear this news, Hal at least has peace of mind that he's well looked after medically for a while.   

FWIW, when it comes to medical info, I'd recommend to google NIH (or go to sites for cancer centers people know) if people want more reliable and a bigger picture.  NIH papers can be tough because they have the scientific papers, so it's hard to read the jargon, but they also provide the source material directly, so there are no accuracy issues with translation...or outdated (or worse, plain incorrect) data posted on Wiki.  When it comes to cancer, there's a high chance the info is very much out-of-date, given the research is evolving, and almost certainly it's a narrow lens source of info.    At least for orthopedic injuries, the landscape doesn't change that dramatically.  Hope that helps.   If people are really that interested, the link with the above info - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4924356/


For the football side of things - given there are a fair number of SS's out there - you wonder if Honey Badger plays FS, and they look for a 1-year stopgap with the younger Reid serving as the future guy.   Vaccaro, Boston, and yes, even Eric Reid (although I doubt McNair wants to go there given his stance on the anthem).   No one ever wants to get a contract this way, but it's a future 2018 offseason signing that seems to fit like a glove.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

For the football side of things - given there are a fair number of SS's out there - you wonder if Honey Badger plays FS, and they look for a 1-year stopgap with the younger Reid serving as the future guy.   Vaccaro, Boston, and yes, even Eric Reid (although I doubt McNair wants to go there given his stance on the anthem).   No one ever wants to get a contract this way, but it's a future 2018 offseason signing that seems to fit like a glove.

I sincerely wonder if Justin holds similar views as Eric. I'd think they're not the same, given that Justin was drafted by McNair/Houston - but who knows.

Eric Reid would geek me out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I sincerely wonder if Justin holds similar views as Eric. I'd think they're not the same, given that Justin was drafted by McNair/Houston - but who knows.

Eric Reid would geek me out...

Honey Badger at FS and Eric Reid at SS would be a huge upgrade IMO.   With Justin Reid in the wings.   Needing S this year turned out to be such a market-inefficiency driven gold mine this year.   It's quickly becoming the ILB and NT of D value-wise, while the CB who an play on an island are truly on par with the EDGE's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 5:18 PM, Kiwibrown said:

There are more than 16 different types of leukemia, broadly speaking I think there are two main types of leukemia. There is huge variability in how treatment is received among the different types. Unless there are some significantly more advanced treatments in the states, I think the treatment options for the variability of disease is more of a blunt instrument approach, they all get similar treatments.  

One of my friends is a research scientist studying one type of non curable leukemia, which only one guy has beat (well he beat it for two years, when the normal survival time is about 6 weeks).  

There are four main types. AML, ALL, CLL, CML

source: im a doctor

jk I had AML

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tyty said:

There are four main types. AML, ALL, CLL, CML

source: im a doctor

jk I had AML

Inside of that there would be subtypes. 

I am glad you had it rather than have it. Well done 👍.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

Inside of that there would be subtypes. 

I am glad you had it rather than have it. Well done 👍.

Hey I'll have it instead of you having it any day of the week buddy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×