Resetting the Runningback Market

Kiwibrown

We have seen a number of guys taken in the top 10 and and top 5 of the draft recently .

Gurley in 15
Zeke in 16
Fournette and McCaffery in 17
Barkley 18.

The browns have two runningbacks on top 10 money, each earning slightly over 5 million per year. By NFL standard this is a very modest salary. Top tier money for a runningback is 8-9 million per year, Bell is an outlier at 14 million per year. Assuming they play well  I doubt these guys will settle for the ordinary top tier money of the 8-9 million per season (even adjusted for inflation). When their contracts are up, how much will they be wanting?

RB contracts as a whole have dropped steadily since the rookie wage scale. And I don't know if that trend changes with so much emphasis on the passing game.

And it's worth noting that three of the top 10 highest paid RBs are on their rookie deals.

McKinnon on the open market "only" got $7.5M per as the best RB available. And the market has shown over and over again that being "the best" or one of the best doesn't mean you'll be paid the most.

Bell is probably gonna have to settle for a contract closer to the $10M mark than what he wants. Unless teams like the Colts or Texans (with the need AND money) really want him. But there will probably still be 17-18 WRs making more money than he will. Probably even more after next year's contracts.

NFL goes in cycles. When the Elite of the Elite set the market, RB averages will go up. Just as it did for QB's with the Rodgers, Manning's, Brady's and Brees's of the NFL.

Just as it did with WR's with the AB, Julio's and Greens of the NFL. Now that market too has inflated to where their contracts have become obsolete because of the Evans, Hopkins and upcoming OBJ's contract. RB's money will be no different when the Bells, Johnson's, Zeke's, Gurley's get paid. 

Cycles

29 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

NFL goes in cycles. When the Elite of the Elite set the market, RB averages will go up. Just as it did for QB's with the Rodgers, Manning's, Brady's and Brees's of the NFL.

Just as it did with WR's with the AB, Julio's and Greens of the NFL. Now that market too has inflated to where their contracts have become obsolete because of the Evans, Hopkins and upcoming OBJ's contract. RB's money will be no different when the Bells, Johnson's, Zeke's, Gurley's get paid. 

Cycles

If Barkley is equal to his hype or nearly there then I think he will be worth at least 225% of his rookie salary. 

Mack and Donald are looking at over 300% of their rookie salary.

8 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-spt-saquon-barkley-giants-contract-20180427-story.html says that's $7.8M already, you really think he will be worth  at least $17.55M a year?

I’m not saying he will be worth it. In saying that is what he might want. 

Saquaon might be better off converting to slot receiver and get Jarvis Landry money rather than staying a rb. 

If rather 100 touches per year and 15 million per year, rather than 10-12 million per year and 270 touches per year.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If I were a GM, I would never pay a RB $15m+ per year.   

Im not knocking on those who would....just my personal stance.  

Feel exactly the same, and I think that for a good chunk of players, I may not even give them a second contract (obviously, would depend on several factors). 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Feel exactly the same, and I think that for a good chunk of players, I may not even give them a second contract (obviously, would depend on several factors). 

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

What about a 2nd contract for Lt in today’s market?

34 minutes ago, Forge said:
36 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Agreed with both, for the most part in general -- meaning about 99% of all RB's.

For a proven, once in generation RB (such as AP for example) I would be fine with giving them a second contract and even one at 15+ APY. But that also largely hinges on his age too, given the short life span of the RB position.

If he was a 24 year old AP coming out of college-- that would put him at 28-29 years old when his rookie contract expires. At that point, I'm letting him walk without a second contract. I don't care if how good he is. I'm not going to give a player a 4 or 5-year contact AND pay him top price when realistically I'm probably only going to see 1 or MAYBE 2 more years of the same production that I was paying for in the first place.

If he was a 21 or 22 year old AP, I would be willing to do both - give him a second contract and pay him 15+ APY. 

That said, very few RB's have (or will) ever meet this criteria. Bell is the only RB in the league right now that I would be OK with giving a second contract to and paying top dollar for because he is still only 26 years old. (I know FourThree disagrees with this lol). 

I think with the return to power running that seems to be occurring, the money will go slightly up again. Linebackers got lighter, so the natural response is to return to bigger backs up the middle. If the likes of Fournette become mainstays of offenses, I could see the market reflect that again.

I might pay a RB huge money to get a great one, because I think running backs are still some of the most important chess pieces on the field (cough cough James White). But I think the Patriots have shown you can throw together a couple guys and get everything you need at or under 10 mil.

I wouldn't pay $15M for anyone becoming a free agent soon. If Johnson has a good season, he's the one guy I'd personally consider it with.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with you 1000%, although I strongly feel the Steelers will do exactly that.

If they were willing to pay Bell what he wanted, he wouldve been paid already.

Only way I see us keeping Bell long term is if he lowers his price a little, which I dont see happening....but you never know.  

18 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

RB contracts as a whole have dropped steadily since the rookie wage scale. And I don't know if that trend changes with so much emphasis on the passing game.

And it's worth noting that three of the top 10 highest paid RBs are on their rookie deals.

McKinnon on the open market "only" got $7.5M per as the best RB available. And the market has shown over and over again that being "the best" or one of the best doesn't mean you'll be paid the most.

Bell is probably gonna have to settle for a contract closer to the $10M mark than what he wants. Unless teams like the Colts or Texans (with the need AND money) really want him. But there will probably still be 17-18 WRs making more money than he will. Probably even more after next year's contracts.

Interesting enough though, 3 of the 4 teams to take RBs 1st round made the playoffs last year and Dallas did the year before and were considered near favorites in the NFC. Might not be that simple just to let these guys walk since they will be a huge part of their teams success. 

Archived