Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Espn is reporting that the rockets offered Capela 4/60 and he wants 4/100

He wants that Steven Adams money. In that case, the best bet is to take the qualifying offer and hit the market next season. 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

So new owner not down w the big tax, huh 

I think they were trying to take advantage of the lack of market for Capela this year and didn't think he will play it out for a bigger payday next season. But I think Capela is too smart for that. He knows he has big value in the league. Dude is athletic as hell and could switch out on guards on the perimeter and a damn good rim protector. Barring an injury, dude is going to get what he is looking for from either the Rockets or some other team.

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think they were trying to take advantage of the lack of market for Capela this year and didn't think he will play it out for a bigger payday next season. But I think Capela is too smart for that. He knows he has big value in the league. Dude is athletic as hell and could switch out on guards on the perimeter and a damn good rim protector. Barring an injury, dude is going to get what he is looking for from either the Rockets or some other team.

Must be nice to not have to overpay/look out for their guys like small market teams 

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think the thought process is that if he plays on the QO this season, we can stay out of the tax all together, and then we just throw a max offer at him right out of the gate, and if I am not mistaking, we can offer him more money over 4 years than anyone else can, so he probably takes it. I dont see him leaving just because hes upset, especially when he will never find a system or team better for him than the Rockets. Money would be the only reason to leave, and if the rockets offer more money then he will probably stay. 

The repeater tax thing is a big deal. Staying out of the tax this season puts us 3 years away from the repeater tax, which would also be the last year of CP3's deal. So instead of 2 years in the repeater, we end up with 1 or none. If Capela does bolt, we might never go into the tax. For a new owner, 3 or 4 years into owning the team will give him a lot more capital to pay a big tax bill with than his first year where he basically gave up his fortune to buy the team. 

but he has repeatedly said, and did so again this week, that he will pay the tax if thats what it takes. 

We are 5 million under the tax line currently, and assuming we give Capela 4, use the MLE for 5 and add I think 1 more 2 million, that puts us about 6 over the tax, but we can stretch Anderson out for 3 years and his cap hit goes from 20 million to 13 million and we get under the cap. We could even stretch him 5 years and drop his cap hit down to 8 million if we need to add a couple vet min spots. I suspect we have 5 guys on the 17 man roster that are on our summer league currently. 

So its a smart play for this year. If we knew that Capela was going to sign his QO, we could even look to use the 8 million MLE because we could stay under the hard cap, but I doubt Morey would want to kill his flexibility. 

3 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I think the thought process is that if he plays on the QO this season, we can stay out of the tax all together, and then we just throw a max offer at him right out of the gate, and if I am not mistaking, we can offer him more money over 4 years than anyone else can, so he probably takes it. I dont see him leaving just because hes upset, especially when he will never find a system or team better for him than the Rockets. Money would be the only reason to leave, and if the rockets offer more money then he will probably stay. 

The repeater tax thing is a big deal. Staying out of the tax this season puts us 3 years away from the repeater tax, which would also be the last year of CP3's deal. So instead of 2 years in the repeater, we end up with 1 or none. If Capela does bolt, we might never go into the tax. For a new owner, 3 or 4 years into owning the team will give him a lot more capital to pay a big tax bill with than his first year where he basically gave up his fortune to buy the team. 

but he has repeatedly said, and did so again this week, that he will pay the tax if thats what it takes. 

We are 5 million under the tax line currently, and assuming we give Capela 4, use the MLE for 5 and add I think 1 more 2 million, that puts us about 6 over the tax, but we can stretch Anderson out for 3 years and his cap hit goes from 20 million to 13 million and we get under the cap. We could even stretch him 5 years and drop his cap hit down to 8 million if we need to add a couple vet min spots. I suspect we have 5 guys on the 17 man roster that are on our summer league currently. 

So its a smart play for this year. If we knew that Capela was going to sign his QO, we could even look to use the 8 million MLE because we could stay under the hard cap, but I doubt Morey would want to kill his flexibility. 

Clearly that is the best move for the team and owner to have him on the QO. But obviously sucks for the player. Probably not gonna work out for the organization to treat their dudes like that tbh. 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

Clearly that is the best move for the team and owner to have him on the QO. But obviously sucks for the player. Probably not gonna work out for the organization to treat their dudes like that tbh. 

I guess the question is whether or not Capela is worth having 3 max players on the roster. I think he is, but why get into a bidding war with yourself? Its not like Jokic, who would have gotten a max offer from someone. In the end, I think Capela signs for something like 4/80

If capela wants more then go get an offer or try again next offseason. If I was him I’d push for a 2 year 40M deal. He gets paid, rockets get an extra year plus some good will built up and he hits free agency when there’s more money out there. 

7 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If capela wants more then go get an offer or try again next offseason. If I was him I’d push for a 2 year 40M deal. He gets paid, rockets get an extra year plus some good will built up and he hits free agency when there’s more money out there. 

But why? The market could dry up in 2020 after teams spend next season. Look what happened in 2016 and how it is going to take three years before teams have finally freed cap space to be factors in free agency. Take the qualifying offer and get your money next season. 

13 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

What is the hold up with Melo. They really have 1 play. call the kings, offer them Melo and a 2019 1st for one of Shumpert, Temple or Kuofos 

they have no other play. Hawks and Bulls are the only other teams and neither have a 8-10 million salary player that the team would trade away while having the cap space to absorb Melo's deal. 

The earliest FRP they can deal is 2022, so that really doesn't do anything for the Kings.

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But why? The market could dry up in 2020 after teams spend next season. Look what happened in 2016 and how it is going to take three years before teams have finally freed cap space to be factors in free agency. Take the qualifying offer and get your money next season. 

2016 is the reason that 2020 will have more money. All those terrible 4 year deals will be off the books. there might be more money in 2020 than in 2019. But there is no reason for the rockets to give him 2/40. If we are going to pay him that much, we might as well give him 4/80 or 4/90

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

I like Smart with you guys though. He's a good player and culture guy. 

Oh I'd be totally fine with them getting Marcus Smart. Certainly prefer that than getting LaVine(especially at what he cost). I'd assume Smart's contract would be less than LaVine's 4yr/$78 million

Archived