Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

So Carter off the bench? Dunn/Lavine/Parker/Laurie/Lopez to at least start the season? You would need a Gobert-esque rim defender to make this defense be somewhat respectable. Parker at SF just makes little sense to me. Sure in today's game positions matter less, but he's going to get killed defensively. Bulls look to be hitting on their picks as of late, so they may be just trying to sign young flawed players with potential. Parker needs to stay healthy and develop a three point shot ASAP. At the very least this team will be interesting to track next season. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Carter off the bench? Dunn/Lavine/Parker/Laurie/Lopez to at least start the season? You would need a Gobert-esque rim defender to make this defense be somewhat respectable. Parker at SF just makes little sense to me. Sure in today's game positions matter less, but he's going to get killed defensively. Bulls look to be hitting on their picks as of late, so they may be just trying to sign young flawed players with potential. Parker needs to stay healthy and develop a three point shot ASAP. At the very least this team will be interesting to track next season. 

Carter has arguably been the best rookie in the SL, he'll be starting at some point next sesaon. 

Not bad all things considering. 

Carter has been awesome and I was looking forward to see him starting, but his best position is the same as Laurie's. Question is could you get away with playing Carter at C for big stretches of the game? They have three guys suited to play PF, but Carter is the one who could transition to C with his length and defensive potential. If he's able to rebound at a good clip, I don't see why he can't play C.

Dunn/Lavine/Parker/Laurie/Carter could be fun. 

I feel like less and less teams/front offices these days are incompetent and moronic. Maybe Im wrong, but I see like 20-25 teams' front offices that are actually doing either a pretty good job or a very good job or incredible etc. 

IMO right now Id say there are just a handful of teams that remain idiots and keep making mind boggling moves...(Sacramento, Charlotte, Orlando are the three worst IMO). 

There are definitely some that you could say have been either just flat out bad for the most part, despite either signing or drafting one great player (Lakers cough Milwaukee cough), or mediocre at best (Minnesota seems to fit this bill, as do the Knicks sort of).

Minnesota might even end up falling into Kings territory. The Gorgeui Deng contract is absolutely horrendous and they are stuck with him for like 2 or more years, Wiggins' extension looks like it was a desparate and premature overpay.....and then you have Teague, making them guys who all earn over 15 mil annually. Plus it seems like they really are bungling this Butler situation tbh. The only reason this team isnt a lottery team is because KAT fell into their laps. Plus theres the whole Thibs thing.....Yikes. 

And I still find it hilarious that people love to praise the Lakers and Magic and company simply because they signed Lebron. And literally the only reason they got him is their location and their history, even though they havent been relevant since like 2010. In the past few drafts they have done pretty damn badly.  The guys they took at 7 and 2 in 2014 and 2015 (Randle and Russell) were both terrible. Ingram was the one pick that you could make a case for as one that was a smart one by them, as opposed to an obvious one or something. Lonzo, their 2nd overall pick a year ago who went from getting ready to be the face and identity of the team, to basically just being dumped to the trash the moment Lebron signed. Anyone remember the Lee Jenkins article when Lebron signed with CLE and he notably left Wiggins out of the column entirely? And people who said anything were accused of looking into it too much etc. Except they werent, and it absolutely was true that he was left out because Lebron and his people told Jenkins (who will just write what LBJ tells him) about what was gonna happen to Wiggins and Love. Then this recent article by Jenkins which is soooo eerily similar....one in which he refers to the Lakers' young nucleus as "Ingram/Hart/Kuzma". No Lonzo anywhere. (Note I could be totally wrong here , so dont attack me @CWood21). 

Then this whole Kuzma thing where every body keeps acting like hes some future stud who is going to be an All Star and had some amazing rookie season. I mean he shot 35/36/70 with a -2.0 net rating and +/- of -1.6. I mean I like Kuzma and see him becoming a good like 6th or 7th guy on a contender one day, but he isnt anyone Id want my team calling one of its core pieces. 

Hart is the other pick I give them props for though. I was shocked he fell like he did (Nova fan so I watched a lot of him). But he IMO is gonna be a top 7-8 SG (maybe better) in a year or two. 

And then theres the 2016 offseason. And yeah, sure I get it....It was a weird offseason thanks to the idiotic decision by the NBAPA regarding the cap spike.....but the Deng and Mozgov contracts are legitimately the worst of the last decade maybe. And dont even get me started on their horrendous post Lebron signings....which were atrocious even if they are 1 year deals...

Anyway back to my point....(damn Lakers rant)....I just feel like were seeing teams who used to be laughing stocks like the Nets, Clippers, or even Chicago/NY, Phoenix, etc all begin to make big turn arounds. 

Idk why anyone thinks GS ruined basketball or whatever the idiots say. I love watching great basketball, and so theyre amazing to watch. And plus, I think this notion that they will be unbeatable for years is nuts. This is their final season in which we see them dominate (although they really came so close to being beaten by Houston until the basketball gods decided to just poop all over Daryl Morey and having his team shoot 27 straight missed threes, something that I dont know we will ever see an NBA team do in any game again)

I think that after this season, we will see the parity everyone seems to be craving. GS will IMO be very very good still but wont have Iggy, Green/Klay (one of them), and maybe KD as well. 

These teams who have talented young stars and such are wisely biding their time and waiting. And itll pay off. 

Also, I think that in 2020 it will be reversed in terms of the power teams. Philly and Boston are likely going to be the alpha dogs who the other teams try to catch up to.

I just skimmed through your post, but saw the part about the Lakers drafting terrible lately. I disagree there. Randle was not terrible and is going to really solid for the Pelicans. Russell turned out to be a bad pick and the jury is out on Ball. I personally think he will be very good. Ingram looks to be the goods, but you didn't include guys like Kuzma who was a great get late in the 1st and Hart who looks to be a good one as well. And then they also got Nance Jr late in the draft and he was a nice pick. 

Obviously you can't take all that much from summer league, but seems like they made some nice selections this year as well. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He shot 37% from 3 over the past two years when he played. I might be one of the few, but I think Parker has ability if he can stay healthy. The staying healthy part is the biggest issue.

Parker did shoot better last year but pretty small sample size and I think it was like Ingram where he didn't attempt that many. I always felt he could become a good three point shooter as well. Early in his career he used the frustrate the ish out of me with all the long 2s he would attempt. 

Defensively though I'm not sure if he ever becomes decent on that end, especially if he has to guard opposing SFs. 

No, the basketball IQ part is the biggest issue with Jabari. Yeah, he'll get you that flashy 20 points but you'll also be better with him seated firmly on the bench. He kills it at the Y! but not on a modern NBA basketball court.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not bad all things considering. 

Carter has been awesome and I was looking forward to see him starting, but his best position is the same as Laurie's. Question is could you get away with playing Carter at C for big stretches of the game? They have three guys suited to play PF, but Carter is the one who could transition to C with his length and defensive potential. If he's able to rebound at a good clip, I don't see why he can't play C.

Dunn/Lavine/Parker/Laurie/Carter could be fun. 

No way is Carter a PF

Archived